Go Back   [SS] Forums > Public Forums > General Conversation > [SS] 10th Anniversary
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-30-2012   #1
[SS]Rator
Sea Snipers® Owner/Leader

015 The Sea Snipers® 10th Anniversary / Historical Item 1: Frostfire

The Sea Snipers® 10th Anniversary
Historical Item 1: Frostfire

Hard to believe, but we've been going for 10 years now.

So many cool things have happened since 2002 and we're going to be talking about some of them each day throughout the month of October. We hope you enjoy some of the tidbits we're going to be posting, and invite you to join in the conversations and share your own [SS] stories!

So first off, our new 10th anniversary logo! We feel this piece really embodies the salty dogs we've become over the years. Designed by a fellow illustrator friend of ours, Rachel Caldwell, who's work is fantastic. You can see more of her art at http://rachelcaldwellart.com

With all the guides and midnight release events and signings and the league and everything else we've done, sometimes even WE forget it all started in 2002 when we created our first map, Frostfire for Socom 1. Not really that pretty looking at it now though huh? lol.

However ugly it might look to us now, it IS accurate and helped TONS of players and clans way back when. So much so, that players and clans would contribute their hard earned cash to help us fire these out as quickly as possible.

I don't know how many of you remember, but people could pay $25 to name something on the map like "Sports Dojo". Clans also sponsored maps by donating $100 to get their team's logo on the map as well. Thank you to all of those players and teams that supported us, very cool!

Deciding to release these maps to the public started the adventure we've been on for the past 10 years now, and we wouldn't change a thing. We didn't think that we were giving other teams an advantage that we could have kept for ourselves, we just wanted to share and help everyone have as much fun as we did.

I've been asked so many times "how do you make those maps?". There's no easy answer to that, but I can show you how it all starts at least. Here's the sketch of Frostfire from 2002 before I took it into Photoshop to make it all fancy-like.

Pretty cool to go back and look at how it all started.

We'd like to thank all of the Sea Snipers past and present that have helped us along the way and continue to do so, as well as all our friends and fans that have supported us all this time. We appreciate it, and hope you all stay tuned for even more cool timeline events that we'll be posting each day.

Stop by and share your stories with us!

I'm gonna ask you questions, and every time you don't give me answers, I'm gonna cut something off. And I promise you...
they will be things you will miss!
[SS]Rator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012   #2
[SS]Wally
‘The Umbrella Man’

Great jobs you guys! Congrats to us!

"Guns don't kill people, lasers do." - Wally
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders". - Ted Nugent
Born On Date: 1-30-2007
[SS]Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #3
[SS]Snakebite
Thats Mr Sarcastic to you

I've been jones'n for some Frostfire on Socom 1 for years now.

Think I'll hop online and play a few rounds, who's with me?

Looking back, it's been a great 10 years. Frostfire started it all for me. I popped in my Socom disc and it was the first map I ever played. It was a room set to only that map and I played for hours and hours. I still have my fat PS2, my Socom game, headset, the box and all the swag I collected over the Socom series.

I'll never forget those game sounds. "Seals are winning". "Man Down", "Got him".

Good stuff.

[SS]Snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #4
[SS]Shooter
CO of Recruit Instruction

The graphics aren't really that bad... That guy gets PWNED at 3:22...

Keep your ears buttered up while I set fire to the rain!
[SS]Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #5
[SS]Showstoper
XO of Recruit Instruction

Awesome. Yay!!!

I WILL LEAD BY EXAMPLE, NEVER REQUIRING A RECRUIT TO ATTEMPT ANY TASK I WOULD NOT DO MYSELF.
[SS]Showstoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #6
[SS]Hobo
I'm your Huckleberry...

Congrats brothers, here's to many more years as a family

Semper Fratres.

[SS]Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012   #7
[SS]Rator

We have also launched a ton of new gear in the SS Store, enjoy!

Here's a direct link to the 10th Anniversary Gear Section
http://www.cafepress.com/seasnipersstore/9394161

I'm gonna ask you questions, and every time you don't give me answers, I'm gonna cut something off. And I promise you...
Old 10-05-2012   #8
[SS]Midnight
Lima Oscar Lima!

This was by far one of the funnest maps. For such a small map it had so many levels to it. I remember when I first saw this rendered map and found out about the Sea Snipers.

"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood! NOBODY!" -- White Goodman
[SS]Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #9
[SS]CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SS]Snakebite View Post
Looking back, it's been a great 10 years. Frostfire started it all for me. I popped in my Socom disc and it was the first map I ever played. It was a room set to only that map and I played for hours and hours. I still have my fat PS2, my Socom game, headset, the box and all the swag I collected over the Socom series.

I'll never forget those game sounds. "Seals are winning". "Man Down", "Got him".
Good stuff.
My first map was desert glory. It was the first online ANYTHING that I ever played. Didn't know a thing.

I was playing like I played the campaign. Using single fire, expecting the enemies to follow some pattern. Learned immediately to switch to full auto and that the enemies really didn't want to die and changed strategies between rounds, etc.

I also used my full real name. Then I saw all the other people with names like; ninjakiller, 420killer, assassin, etc. I quickly logged off and created C.J. I also had a silly immature name I used for a few weeks. HisOwnDick. So lets say I killed Snakebite. It would show up on the screen as "Snakebite was fragged by HisOwnDick." I know....childish, but it would make me giggle.

For a while, I think my sig on these forums used to be "Aukwa a nod au hoffera." No idea what it means but that was my favorite terrorist nade throw call out. There might even be an old post of me trying to type out every terrorist grenade call out.

Last edited by [SS]CJ : 08-04-2013 at 04:27 PM.
[SS]CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #10
[SS]Breach
Game Changer

The memories that I have of playing all those maps with my brothers got me through my last 10 years.

You don't know how many nights I laid awake reliving those firefights. Totally awesome. I want to thank Rator for letting me be apart of this with you guys. It has changed my life knowing all of you and to have each others backs.

Wish

[SS]Breach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #11
HardCore

congrats on 10 years Sea Snipers! And I hope you all have many more to come ;)!
HardCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013   #12
[SS]Rator

Thanks HC! Actually as of yesterday, we're 11!

Old 12-13-2017   #13
RIPCLAW

Damm that brings back memories man!

C64 is where it all started!
RIPCLAW is offline   Reply With Quote