Go Back   [SS] Forums > Public Forums > General Conversation > [SS] 10th Anniversary
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012   #1
[SS]Rator
Sea SnipersŪ Owner/Leader

015 The Sea SnipersŪ 10th Anniversary / Historical Item 20: Websites

The Sea SnipersŪ 10th Anniversary
Historical Item 20: Websites

We've run only 3 different website designs over the past 10 years, and while they haven't always been updated as often as we might have liked, they did the job we needed them to do at the time we created them.

Our first site got SO much traffic back in the Socom days, it was quite amazing. Not that no one had done Flash before, but people seemed to love this site. The nav bar was collapsable and animated, lots of little animations throughout too, but this was the bees knees back in the day.

We still have the site up and live if you want to go poke through it and reminisce...

After too many years of this design, we decided to redesign and ramp up the flashyness with the watch face layout as some have called it. Some have said it looks like a mini-sub from the front, but I really had nothing in mind specifically when creating the interface. I just wanted something nautical, naval, Sea Snipery.

Again, people seemed to love this site, but looking back on both of these, I almost want to take them down lol. They look so weak to me now after all these years and I almost hate showing them. But they were what they were and were cool when they were live, but you all remember your hairdos in the 80's right? Think of them like that lol.

This site had a lot of animation and flash work and Chenzo helped quite a bit on the coding end of things with our scroller and loading sequences, but it still was packed full of content which is one of the things we pride ourselves on. There are lots of fancy flash sites out there and you pull them up and are amazed. Then you start looking for some of the content you came there for and it's just not there.

The sub site is still live as well and you can check it out here...

Content is king. That's what drove us to create the latest version of our site. This site was designed with content creation and updates in mind. We basically created a hub with our home page that links to pages we created in our forums. Everything is still accessible by the public, and editable even from a phone. We can create new pages or edit existing ones right from a phone or anywhere anytime we need to.

While it is not as flashy as our previous sites, I think the design and layout and concept is a little more geared towards what we do, what we're known for and who we are. We hope you've enjoyed all of the different cover stories about our members over the past almost year now, and don't forget all of the previous issues of the new site are still live.

We didn't get to do one for Sept as we were prepping for our 10th anniversary. Enjoy!

And our recruit sig of the day is...

Will didn't have the...will.

I'm gonna ask you questions, and every time you don't give me answers, I'm gonna cut something off. And I promise you...
they will be things you will miss!
[SS]Rator is offline   Reply With Quote