Go Back   [SS] Forums > Public Forums > Game Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-04-2009   #1
DatGuy

Rumor: COD Vietnam

http://kotaku.com/5237870/rumor-call...-on-to-vietnam

Citing a confidential source, That VideoGame Blog says Activision is pursuing licenses for Vietnam War-era music, as well as Cuban, Soviet Union and African music. They also infer that Treyarch will be the developer.

TVGB says that Noah Heller is involved with this supposed CoD 7; he was the senior producer on World at War, which is taken to mean that Treyarch will be back in the saddle. Sounds about right, as Infinity Ward is developing Modern Warfare 2, with a release date about six months out.

Of course, TVGB points out that, last year, Heller told Official Xbox Magazine that "we are showing the final battles of the Pacific and the European Theatre and that lets us put a close to the war," and "we're happy that we put the war to bed," meaning no more World War II-era shooters for them. But around the same time, he also said. "I can't say that there won't ever be a WWII Call of Duty game again."

The rumored music genres are intriguing. I'm not intimate with the history here, but if we're talking about Cuban and African music, could that mean someone's envisioning, or at least considering, CIA-type secret war operations of the 1960s and 1970s? That might expand this to Call of Duty: The Cold War as opposed to just Vietnam or Southeast Asia.

Per our policy, we've asked Activision for comment. But it's useful to remember that they and many other big publishers have a standing policy of not commenting on rumor and speculation.

DatGuy "doubts my connections".
DatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009   #2
[SS]Shooter
CO of Recruit Instruction

Hmmm. Perhaps IW will give the new MW2 engine to Treyarch for this, just like w@w.

Keep your ears buttered up while I set fire to the rain!
[SS]Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009   #3
[SS]Wally
‘The Umbrella Man’

I doubt IW will do that, I think they are leaving COD, hence Modern Warfare 2 minus the COD in front.

A good Vietnam game would be great as long as it is done right. I like the single player in W@W and hope if they go this route that it doesn't disappoint.

So after this then what? Korean War? 1912? Falkland Islands? It's getting more and more narrow what is left. Mogadishu? Desert Storm? Current?

"Guns don't kill people, lasers do." - Wally
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders". - Ted Nugent
Born On Date: 1-30-2007
[SS]Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009   #4
Sabotage

It has been done right in the past. Battlefield: Vietnam

"I am an indestructible master of war" - Disturbed

“Hitler built a fortress around Europe, but he forgot to put a roof on it.”- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Sabotage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #5
Tagger

CoD: American Civil War. Yeah, that's definately where they're headed in the future. Perks would include Fast Reload for Flintlock Muskets, Hot Air Balloon Recon after 3 kills, Calvary Raid after 5 kills, and a Gettysburg styled General Pickett's Charge for 7 kills. Yeah, that would so totally rock.

Galatians 2:20
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #6
[SS]Midnight
Lima Oscar Lima!

I think you pegged it Tagger. LOL

The thing with W@W's kill streak perks is thaty they are way more powerful than Modern Warfares perks were. The Aritilery lasted WAY longer and covered much more area than the airstrikes. With the 'Hounds' you could not kill them all. You could shoot a few but they would keep comeing from outside the map to replace the ones you killed. However the helicopter could be shot down and that would be that. Also you could hide under cover from the chopper. The dogs can go pretty much anywhere you can go.

So I am sure that the kill streak perks from your Civil War theme would end up with a 7 kill nuclear strike perk instead of the Pickett Charge.

"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood! NOBODY!" -- White Goodman
[SS]Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #7
AEJustin1

I would actually like to see a good civil war game with online play, that would add a new element to strategy lol

If you don't stand behind our troops. Please feel free to stand in front of them...
PROUD to be an AMERICAN!
AEJustin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009   #8
DatGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEJustin1 View Post
I would actually like to see a good civil war game with online play, that would add a new element to strategy lol
stand in line...fire at other line...reload...hope you dont die

DatGuy "doubts my connections".
DatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009   #9
AEJustin1

LOL exactly, I can imagine that right now, playing online lol that would be a one time experience and I'd probably be done

If you don't stand behind our troops. Please feel free to stand in front of them...
PROUD to be an AMERICAN!
AEJustin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009   #10
Tagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SS]Midnight View Post
...........So I am sure that the kill streak perks from your Civil War theme would end up with a 7 kill nuclear strike perk instead of the Pickett Charge.
Well if the story is true, Will Smith and Kevin Kline in the western they made had some pretty cool gadgets. Maybe nuclear fission had already been discovered?

Hehmmmmmmm....getting back to the topic: In a Vietnam era CoD, would there be happy endings at the massage parlors?

Galatians 2:20
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote