Go Back   [SS] Forums > Public Forums > Chief's Warehouse
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-16-2010   #1
[SS]Wally
‘The Umbrella Man’

RIP

I don't know if any of you feel this in inappropriate, but after hearing about Mr. Ronnie James Dio passing, I had to post my regrets.

An amazing talent, he is now playing an encore in hell.

MAY 16th 2010

LOS ANGELES - Ronnie James Dio, whose soaring vocals, poetic lyrics and mythic tales of a never-ending struggle between good and evil broke new ground in heavy metal, died Sunday, according to a statement from his wife and manager. He was 67.

Dio revealed last summer that he was suffering from stomach cancer shortly after wrapping up a tour in Atlantic City, N.J., with the latest incarnation of Black Sabbath, under the name Heaven And Hell.

"Today my heart is broken," Wendy Dio wrote on the singer's site, adding he died at 7:45 a.m. "Many, many friends and family were able to say their private goodbyes before he peacefully passed away.

"Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all," Wendy Dio continued. "We so appreciate the love and support that you have all given us ... Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever."

The statement was confirmed by Los Angeles publicist Maureen O'Connor. Dio was being treated at a Houston hospital, according to his site.

Though Dio had recently undergone his seventh chemotherapy treatment, he was hopeful to perform again. Earlier this month, Heaven And Hell canceled its summer tour, but Dio did not view being sidelined as a permanent thing.

"Wendy, my doctors and I have worked so hard to make it happen for all of you, the ones we care so much about, that this setback could be devastating, but we will not let it be," he said in a statement. "With your continued love and support, we ... will carry on and thrive. There will be other tours, more music, more life and much more magic."

Read more: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/371807...#ixzz0o9aJysMw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dio.jpg (17.2 KB, 170 views)

"Guns don't kill people, lasers do." - Wally
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders". - Ted Nugent
Born On Date: 1-30-2007
[SS]Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010   #2
[SS]Chief
Brew Master

I don't find it inappropriate. He rocked it during my early years...and will continue to live on through his music!

"Give a man a beer, he'll waste an afternoon. But teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime!"
[SS]Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #3
KAIZER SOSA

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio

Holy Diver is one of the best Heavy Metal albums in history...

KAIZER SOSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #4
[SS]Hobo
I'm your Huckleberry...

R.I.P. Dio \m/ (-_-) \m/

Holy Diver was a good album (Holy Diver, Rainbow in the Dark, and Stand up and Shout)

Last edited by [SS]Hobo : 05-18-2010 at 05:53 AM.
[SS]Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010   #5
Chenzo
Commies Beware

Chenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011   #6
[SS]Wally
‘The Umbrella Man’

Screen legend Elizabeth Taylor dies at 79
Academy Award-winning actress succumbs to heart failure

Hollywood legend Elizabeth Taylor, who
went from child star to screen siren, died
Wednesday in Los Angeles from congestive
heart failure. She was 79. Her children were
at her side when she died.

Taylor had been in Cedar-Sinai Medical
Center in Los Angeles for about six weeks.

Taylor first gained stardom as a child and
appeared in more than 50 films. She won
Oscars for her performances in "Butterfield
8" and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"

She was equally famous for extraordinary
beauty and her stormy personal life,
including eight marriages and a series of
physical ailments.

In later years, she was a spokeswoman for
humanitarian causes, notably AIDS research.
That work gained her a special Oscar in

"My Mother was an extraordinary woman
who lived life to the fullest, with great
passion, humor, and love," said her son,
Michael Wilding, in a statement. "Though her
loss is devastating to those of us who held
her so close and so dear, we will always be
inspired by her enduring contribution to our
world. Her remarkable body of work in film,
her ongoing success as a businesswoman,
and her brave and relentless advocacy in the
fight against HIV/AIDS, all make us all incredibly
proud of what she accomplished.
We know, quite simply, that the world is a
better place for Mom having lived in it. Her
legacy will never fade, her spirit will always
be with us, and her love will live forever in
our hearts."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elizabeth_taylor_08.jpg (20.5 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg 3180747151_c60417a50f.jpg (42.0 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg ss-080731-liz-taylor-undated.grid-4x2.jpg (25.2 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by [SS]Wally : 03-23-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-23-2011   #7
[SS]Sabotage
Eyes In The Skies

Damn... RIP.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
[SS]Sabotage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012   #8
[SS]Wally
‘The Umbrella Man’

RIP Jim Marshall

Jim Marshall Dies; Rock Heaven Cranks Amps to 11

Guitar players are precious about their sound. And as the music industry has become increasingly digitized around them—from million-dollar recording equipment to such questionable innovations as Auto-Tune—hardcore guitarists, however, still adhere to curiously old-fashioned, analog systems. No computer, it seems, is capable of replicating the raw punch of a guitar and its amplifier.

This is in large part due to the ingenuity of Jim Marshall, a former drummer from London who, in the early 1960s, created the boxy, Marshall JTM 45 amplifier, which has risen high on the stage behind head-banging rock bands in “stacks” ever since—and deeply altered the sound of popular music. He died yesterday at age 88 after suffering from cancer and multiple strokes.

“The news of Jim Marshall passing is deeply saddening,” tweeted Slash, the guitarist from Guns N’ Roses. “R & R will never be the same w/out him. But, his amps will live on FOREVER!”

When not plugged in, an electric guitar is a lifeless organism. It’s the additional stuff—the “kits” comprised of pedals, effects, and most importantly, amplifiers—that work together to create unique sounds such as distortion. (To this day, bands place microphones in front of amplifiers on the stage so larger audiences can hear.) The Marshall—a booming box with a distinct, full-bodied sound—helped usher in decades of hard rock, with such feverish devotees as Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin, Angus Young of AC/DC, and Kurt Cobain of Nirvana.

In a 2003 interview with Premier Guitar magazine, Marshall attributed the success of his company to his employees, distributors, and dealers. But “most of the people in the worldwide Marshall family are musicians,” he said. “And I’ve always said that musicians should rule the world! After all, music is the most common language. … We probably wouldn’t have wars either—just battles of the bands.”

Marshall’s products earned him the nickname, “The Father of Loud.” Over the years, the U.K.-based Marshall Amplification sold thousands of amps and, as a result, Marshall was consistently listed in The Sunday Times’ 1,000 richest people in Britain.

His influence is sure to reverberate around arenas for years to come. As Nikki Sixx of the band Mötley Crüe said on Twitter, Marshall is “responsible for some of the greatest audio moments in music’s history—and 50% responsible of all our hearing loss.”

In my own words, everyone know's what a Marshall is period. I wouldn't be doing half of the things I do in the industry if it wasn't for Jim Marshall and others like him. Hat's off to Jim Marshall today.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jim-Marshall-009.jpg (36.8 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by [SS]Wally : 10-27-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-18-2012   #9
[SS]Wally
‘The Umbrella Man’

TV and music pioneer Dick Clark dies at age 82

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...#ixzz1sQVChC6O

Bummer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DICK CLARK AP.jpg (37.4 KB, 103 views)

Old 05-04-2012   #10
[SS]Wally
‘The Umbrella Man’

Adam Yauch speaks at the Apple Soho store in 2008 Photograph: Bryan Bedder/Getty Images
Brian Braiker in New York
guardian.co.uk,
Fri 4 May 2012 19.11 BST
Rapper Adam Yauch, a third of the trailblazing hip-hop act the Beastie Boys, has died aged 47.
Yauch, who performed as MCA, had been in treatment for cancer since 2009 after discovering a tumor in his parotid gland.
The band's management posted a lengthy statement on the Beastie Boys website:
It is with great sadness that we confirm that musician, rapper, activist and director Adam "MCA" Yauch, founding member of Beastie Boys and also of the Milarepa Foundation that produced the Tibetan Freedom Concert benefits, and film production and distribution company Oscilloscope Laboratories, passed away in his native New York City this morning after a near-three-year battle with cancer.
Initially dismissed as a trio of jokers who scored a fluke novelty hit with Fight for Your Right (To Party) on their 1986 debut License to Ill, the Beastie Boys would grow into one of the most ambitious and influential acts of the 1990s.
The densely layered followup to their jokey and spare debut was 1989's Paul's Boutique, a postmodern hip-hop masterpiece that was largely ignored at its release. Today the Dust Brothers-produced record is considered a seminal album that would hint at the genre-bending direction 1990s pop was heading.
Subsequent records Check Your Head and Ill Communication found an instant foothold in the mainstream, however, propelling the band to stratospheric stardom.
Their lyrics were packed with goofy couplets, in-jokes and pop-culture references. And each of the Beasties cultivated distinct personas and vocal deliveries that meshed well together and could stand alone.
Yauch's voice was mellow, gravelly and gruff – sandpaper and warm beer – allowing him to play both the shady drifter (Paul Revere) and loveable buddy ("My man MCA's got a beard like a billy goat").
The Brooklyn-born Yauch co-founded the Beastie Boys in 1981, originally as a punk rock outfit with Mike "Mike D" Diamond, drummer Kate Schellenbach and guitarist John Berry in 1981. The group got its start playing underground clubs around New York and released an EP later that year.
Schellenbach and Berry would leave the band, though and Adam "Ad-Rock" Horowitz, a third middle-class Jewish kid from New York, came on board.
After eschewing punk for an exaggerated fratty b-boy posture, the trio would go on to become the unlikely first white rap group to achieve massive mainstream success – to the initial chagrin of hip-hop purists.
After poorly received tours opening for Madonna and Run DMC, the band released Licensed to Ill in 1986, which struck a surprise chord: the Rick Rubin-produced album was fastest-selling debut in Columbia Records' history, selling more than 750,000 copies in its first six weeks.
The Beastie Boys were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April, but Yauch was unable to attend due to his health. His cancer treatments also delayed the release of the group's most recent album, Hot Sauce Committee, Pt. 2.
In addition to his career in music, Yauch was a film-maker and passionate Buddhist and defender of Tibetan rights. Yauch directed many of the band's music videos under the name Nathanial Hörnblowér, including So What'cha Want, Intergalactic and the more recent Make Some Noise.
Yauch, who is survived by his wife, Dechen Wengdu, and their daughter, Losel, wrote a letter to his bandmates and fans for last month's hall of fame induction: "I'd like to dedicate this to my brothers Adam and Mike," he wrote. "They walked the globe with me. It's also for anyone who has ever been touched by our band. This induction is as much ours as it is yours."

Last edited by [SS]Wally : 05-05-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-04-2012   #11
[SS]Snakebite
Thats Mr Sarcastic to you

Dang Wally, you're making me feel old. All my childhood hero's are dying off...

[SS]Snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012   #12
[SS]SportoFu
Canadian Chuck Norris

This one hurt. They've been my FAVOURITE band for the last 25 years. I grew up with every BBoys album and listen to them almost every day.

[SS]SportoFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012   #13
[SS]Switters
sweets to the sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SS]SportoFu View Post
I grew up with every BBoys album and listen to them almost every day.
+1

[SS]Switters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012   #14
[SS]Hobo
I'm your Huckleberry...

Gone to soon, RIP MCA.

Some of my fav rhymes:

"Born and bred in Brooklyn U.S.A,
They call me Adam Yauch but I'm M.C.A.
Like a lemon to a lime a lime to a lemon,
I sip the def ale with all the fly women"
-No sleep till Brooklyn

"Well I'm as cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce,
You've got the rhyme and reason but no cause,
Well if you're hot to trot and you think you're slicker than grease,
I've got news for you crews you'll be sucking like a leech"
-So what'cha want

Last edited by [SS]Hobo : 05-05-2012 at 06:45 AM.
[SS]Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012   #15
[SS]Showstoper
XO of Recruit Instruction

One of my fav rap groups from the 80's. I feel old. RIP MCA and Dick Clark.

I WILL LEAD BY EXAMPLE, NEVER REQUIRING A RECRUIT TO ATTEMPT ANY TASK I WOULD NOT DO MYSELF.
[SS]Showstoper is offline   Reply With Quote