Go Back   [SS] Forums > Public Forums > Game Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-02-2011   #496
[SS]Chief
Brew Master

I thought this was pretty cool.

Quote:
Pros challenge G.I. Joes

In contest to boost morale, troops claim video-game edge.

No. 12 David Gettis plays a video game with Army National Guard Sgt. Kurt Geldner at Bank of America Stadium. JOHN D. SIMMONS -

Zack Williams, an injured 304-pound rookie offensive lineman for the Carolina Panthers, plays a violent sport.
Jantzen Frazier of Hartsell, Ala., is an Iraq War veteran, a recipient of seven Purple Heart medals. In his last battle in 2007, he was wounded six times and broke his back in three places after he was blown out of a Humvee.

The two met Tuesday when the wounded veteran asked the NFL rookie for his autograph at Bank of America Stadium during a real-time video game contest organized by the nonprofit Pro vs. GI Joe organization and the Panthers.

For two hours, Williams and Gary Barnidge, a Panthers tight end, and David Gettis, a wide receiver, played the popular "Call of Duty: Black Ops" video game against wounded vets like Frazier, local Army National Guard troops and deployed troops on R&R in a Kandahar, Afghanistan USO. It was all beamed into the stadium's Gridiron Club on the internet using Xbox Live.

"It's largely a morale-booster for the troops," said Greg Zinone, an Orange County, Calif., resident who founded the charity with his wife, Addie. "We saw there was a need. These guys serving our country get to play against and talk to professional athletes, musicians, movie stars. And the celebrities feel like they're giving back."

The couple founded the organization after Zinone's wife completed two tours in Iraq with the Army Reserves and noticed the troops spent much of their down time playing video games.

Williams, who spends his days rehabbing his left knee, was awed when told about Frazier's injuries.

"I should have asked him for his autograph," he said. "Playing football doesn't compare to being in a war zone, not knowing the next minute what's going to happen to you. Worrying about your family and whether you'll see them again. Anything I can do help build morale, I do."

Advantage, soldiers

The video game they played Tuesday is a modern warfare, shoot-'em-up game.

The NFL players took turns playing troops in Afghanistan. Through headsets and microphones, they could talk to each other as they played.

It was hard to get Williams away from the game.

He lost the first four games, won the last.

"I didn't hear a lot of it, but I think they were talking a lot of smack to me," he said. "They had the advantage - they know when to duck, when to shoot."

That's the part that struck Barnidge.

"We're in here just playing a game," he said. "They do that stuff in real life.

"This is a meaningful way for us to give back. I want them to know how appreciative I am of what they do."

The local troops were appreciative of the players' time.

"It shows us that people care," said George Bullem, a captain in the N.C. Army National Guard.

Easing readjustment

That's what Frazier, 27, needed after his injuries forced him to leave the Army.

They came five days after he'd reenlisted "indefinitely." He was on a 15-man patrol in three Humvees when a dump truck with 23,000 pounds of explosives rammed the convoy.

The blast destroyed two Humvees, and blew Frazier's vehicle on its side, throwing Frazier out. Thirteen of his comrades died.

He was married and his first of four daughters had been born while he was in Iraq.

Still, he would have gone back.

"When you go into the military, you have a second family," Frazier said. Readjustment was hard. Loud noises sent him to the ground. When he drove under a bridge, he'd change lanes so no one above would drop a bomb on him.

"I didn't want to go out of the house," he said.

Then he found the Pro vs. GI Joe organization, which also includes rehabilitation events.

Now he gets paid to go on the road with the group, helping set up and tear down events - and talking to recently wounded veterans.

"I feel I'm starting to come out of my shell," Frazier said. "My family still doesn't know what I did over there.

"But this has helped - I'm starting to feel alive again."

"Give a man a beer, he'll waste an afternoon. But teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime!"
[SS]Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011   #497
Tagger

Way cool.

Galatians 2:20
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011   #498
[SS]Midnight
Lima Oscar Lima!

Yes. Very way cool.

"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood! NOBODY!" -- White Goodman
[SS]Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011   #499
[SS]Chief
Brew Master

I haven’t seen anyone talking about this?

Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies Comes to iOS:

Quote:
The king of shooters and the biggest thing in all of entertainment comes to iOS, with added zombies. Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies launches today on the App Store. Activision have released an adapted version of Treyarch’s popular zombie mode for iPad, iPhone & iPod Touch.
It contains 50 levels of cult favourite Dead-Ops Arcade for all those that enjoy shooting the undead horde. Voice chat is also there for those that want that true multiplayer experience as you and three others can take on the snarling, rotting walkers or you can go in solo and tear some living, breathing corpses up.
For the people who are still holding onto their third generation Apple devices, fear not as COD: BLOPS Zombies has “unparalleled graphics” across all devices whether it’s an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch from third generation and up.
The universal app – developed by Ideaworks Game Studio – is expected to be getting “upgraded features, more fan-favourite maps, and other special surprises” as time goes on. What would a COD game be without tons of DLC!

"Give a man a beer, he'll waste an afternoon. But teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime!"
Old 02-07-2012   #500
[SS]Chief
Brew Master

I think there’s still a good number of folks out there loading up the ol’ COD: Black OPS!!! Well you’re in luck.

Reckon you haven’t had a good Double XP Weekend in Call of Duty: Black Ops recently? Well Activision and Treyarch are heading you off at the pass by providing one this week!
Quote:
Despite the fact the Black Ops’ younger sibling Modern Warfare 3 has torn up the activity rankings on Xbox LIVE and PlayStation Network, Treyarch is demonstrating its commitment to the older title by providing a Double XP Weekend across all platforms starting on Friday, February 10th, and ending on Monday, February 12th.

Start and end times on those days? 10am PST, so if you’re desperate to rack up twice as many experience points during the weekend as possible, you might want to make some plans…

In addition, you’ve been given the chance to vote on the next 24/7 map playlist to accompany this Double XP Weekend, with choices comprising the following maps:

Firing Range
Summit
Stadium

You can vote on which map should be in the playlist on the official Facebook page, so cast your ballot now!