Go Back   [SS] Forums > Public Forums > Game Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-20-2011   #1
[SS]Chief
Brew Master

New Icons 64 EA Obtains Exclusive Video Game Rights to U.S. Military

I read this from here:

Quote:
In somewhat shocking news, it was revealed this morning that publisher Electronic Arts obtained exclusive video game rights to the United States military, prohibiting competitor's from using the U.S. military's likeness in any future game releases.

"The competition this year between Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 has been heated." stated EA CEO Jeff Brown. "We've made it very clear we were gunning for Call of Duty's throne with Battlefield 3, but now we're able to take them out of the equation all together."

EA pulled a similar move back in 2004, when they obtained exclusive video game rights to the NFL for its Madden series of football games, in response to the growing popularity of rival series NFL 2K.

"If you can't beat your competition, simply make it impossible for them to compete." said Brown. "This strategy has worked very well for us over the years...we're just trying to give our fans what they want. Our audience has made it very clear that two military themed shooters cannot coexist in the same market. We're simply making the decision easier for them."

Activision has yet to comment on the deal, though gamrFeed has reached out for reply.

It is unknown what will happen to developer Infinity Ward, as the Call of Duty franchise has been their main brand since the studio's formation in 2002. However, IW senior designer Jonathan Smith stated "We're kind of glad about the deal, now we don't have to worry about pumping out these games every year. We just want to go home and see our familes."

It is unknown how long the U.S. Military deal will last, but an EA representative stated the deal will also cover Battlefield 4, which was recently given a Winter 2012 release date.
I don’t know if this is even possible? I can understand NFL as it’s a franchise. But seriously....the ENTIRE military? That seems a bit over the top?

"Give a man a beer, he'll waste an afternoon. But teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime!"
[SS]Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #2
[SS]Wally
‘The Umbrella Man’

That has to be bogus, this is crazy news. I don't think the military would make a mistake by only allowing one company to use their likeness as a marketing tool when everyone can use it and they get more kids interested.

This has to be a scam.

"Guns don't kill people, lasers do." - Wally
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders". - Ted Nugent
Born On Date: 1-30-2007
[SS]Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #3
[SS]Midnight
Lima Oscar Lima!

Ya it does seem a bit unlikely to be true. Though when I read statements like: "We're kind of glad about the deal, now we don't have to worry about pumping out these games every year. We just want to go home and see our familes."
Then I think it is even more of a fake. So what? IW is going to stop making video games because of this news? That quote also makes it sound like the IW devs are locked at work for years at a time....when we all know - they have not been there long.

If it is true then IW (and they forgot to mention Treyarch....why?) can still crank out games just as before. They will just have to rename some of the military factions is all.

I just did a search around the inter-webs to see if there was another source to back this article up and nope, nadda, nothing. I call this a bogus article. UNTRUE!

Also Chief you did not copy the entire article. This word and definition was at the bottom:
Quote:
Satire, noun, the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing,denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc. (via Dictionary.com)
That kinda helps to clear it up.

"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood! NOBODY!" -- White Goodman

Last edited by [SS]Midnight : 08-20-2011 at 10:28 AM.
[SS]Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #4
[SSr]LouSaynis

Fake.
Read the comments on the linky. Also, didn't see anything similar to this on IGN.