FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2010   #1
[SS]Midnight
Lima Oscar Lima!

USB Memory Support for the Xbox 360 coming April 6th

Just got booted from xbox live! for an update download. And here is why:

http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/...April-6th.aspx
Quote:
On April 6th, we will be releasing a system update over Xbox LIVE for your Xbox 360 that will allow USB flash drives to be used for storing profiles, game saves, demos and more. I’ve been testing this feature out for a few weeks, and I have to say it’s really great. Once you take the system update on April 6th, you’ll be able to connect your USB flash drives to your console and head over to the memory section to configure your new storage device. Once you do that, the system will conduct a one time performance and integrity check to confirm the drive is working properly. You will then be able to configure how much storage to use on the device, up to 16 GB. The remaining space on the flash drive will be accessible by your PC or Mac. USB Hard drives may work, but like flash memory, you’ll only be able to use up to 16GB of space. Since performance on flash based USB storage is usually better, I highly recommend using flash based instead of spinning media like a hard drive…it’s just going to give you a MUCH better experience.

We’ve also enhanced the memory management functions, so you’ll be able to have better control on what you want to copy or move between storage devices.

A couple of points:

* You can have 2 devices connected to the console at a time, enabling up to 32GB of simultaneous storage.
* The system won’t just configure the device once it is connected to the console. You’ll need to head to the memory area in system settings, select your USB Device, and choose from Configure Now (Format and Configure the Full Device), or Customize (you can choose how much memory you want configured for Xbox360 from the free space on the device.)

While any flash drive can be used, we are partnering with SanDisk to release an Xbox 360 branded USB flash drive in May that comes pre-configured out of the box and ready to go. I’ll provide links to those drives once they’re available. Until then, starting April 6th (when we release the system update) you can pop any flash drive over 1GB into your Xbox 360 and configure it as storage.

I’ve posted a bunch of screen shots that show you what the experience is like with a USB flash drive, as well as a look at the new memory management screens.

Xbox 360 USB Mass Storage

We hope you’ll enjoy this flexible new way to manage your Xbox 360 profile and game data.

"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood! NOBODY!" -- White Goodman
[SS]Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #2
[SS]Rator
Sea Snipers® Owner/Leader

cool

I'm gonna ask you questions, and every time you don't give me answers, I'm gonna cut something off. And I promise you...
they will be things you will miss!
[SS]Rator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #3
Chenzo
Commies Beware

yeah, I could use the space... I've been looking for a 60 HD for the cheap, but failing...

Chenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #4
[SS]Shooter
CO of Recruit Instruction

Why in the hell wasn't it like this from the get-go? Instead, I needed to buy that $40 memory card... owned.

Keep your ears buttered up while I set fire to the rain!
[SS]Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #5
DatGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SS]Shooter View Post
Why in the hell wasn't it like this from the get-go? Instead, I needed to buy that $40 memory card... owned.
agreed, but it will only work up to 16 GB WTF....I have a USB HDD thats 1 TB, let me use that fucker

DatGuy "doubts my connections".
DatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #6
Chenzo
Commies Beware

Cause then you wouldn't need to buy their HDs, Dats...

Altho, 16 gigs is pretty nice. You could fit a couple of games on there, and then just swap it out for a different one if you needed to.

Chenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #7
[SS]Midnight
Lima Oscar Lima!

Baby steps. lol. They are SLOWLY moving in the right direction.

Old 04-06-2010   #8
Bassani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
yeah, I could use the space... I've been looking for a 60 HD for the cheap, but failing...
Just get the 250 GB, its being sold by itself now...

$130
http://www.gamestop.com/browse/searc...l&Ntt=250%20GB
Old 04-06-2010   #9
[SS]Midnight
Lima Oscar Lima!

Some places are selling it for about $100.
http://www.google.com/products?q=250...N&hl=en&tab=wf

Old 04-06-2010   #10
S10Draven
bitch

i got a 120 one a few months back...was thinkin bout the 250 but they werent for sale yet and i really dont see me ever filling it up.
S10Draven is offline   Reply With Quote