Go Back   [SS] Forums > Sea Snipers Website > Professional Work
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2005   #76
heavenly spawn
Ensign

Donating requires things. Things like money. I've just recently got my first job, so donating money 4 or 5 months ago was impossible, but you did not know that so its not a big deal.

And about scaning those images. Even if I had a hi-res scanner (r any scanner) those maps would come out POORLY, and SONY might get pissed and try to sue...maybe not but you get my drift.

But no matter what you say, they did make it so we HAD to pay for the maps. Before, we could donate if we want/could have, but now we're FORCED to handing out 30 bucks (or whatever the cost). That's selling out in my book.
heavenly spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #77
[SS]Rator
Sea Snipers® Owner/Leader

Thats like if Lucas did a version of star wars on his own time for free on the internet, and sony saw it and said, Dude, here's all the money you need, we want you to do the next version of star wars for the big screen. Would he be a sell out cause you can't afford to see it?

Thanks for your input. We got your point.

I'm gonna ask you questions, and every time you don't give me answers, I'm gonna cut something off. And I promise you...
they will be things you will miss!
[SS]Rator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #78
nyck

@spawn
donating is not a money issue. it does not mean that you have to spend a hundred bucks for using the maps. it is a gesture of respect and support.

did you count the maps the snipers illustrated? can you imagine how much time it cost to draw one map? or program something like the twb? and then they put it in the net, giving it to ALL of us, for FREE. just because they thought it was some kind of nice and cool style (which it was).

if you donated like five dollars (and please do not tell me you could not afford that) you would have shown some respect for two years(!) of work the snipers have done.

what have you done to support the socom community?

write a guide, put some strategy on the net, draw maps… lots of possibilities…

i think it is cool that the snipers get something out of their work.

edit: btw, did you count the names on the map donation side? how many are there, 20? maybe 30? the maps are used by far more people, and yes, we are talking about international usage, worldwide… wouldn't it be nice if some of those gamers rewarded the guys for their work?

ps: sony won't sue you for scanning a map out of a guide, but will sue you for those 30GB of music you downloaded…

Last edited by nyck : 11-01-2005 at 07:20 PM.
nyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #79
heavenly spawn
Ensign

Well, they DO deserve the money that SONY is paying them, absolutly. I guess what i'm saying is that I'd rather have the KICKASS type of maps at a slower pace, then giving SONY more money for (what looks like, at this point) mediocre maps. From what I read on the GAP forums, they're somewhat shotty. Thats not me saying that, i've only seen the preview image. You guys took a great, free thing, and turned it into an OK, money maker for a big corporation. Maybe they dident sell ME out because I did not donate any money, but its a sell out nonetheless. Disappointing is all.
Old 11-01-2005   #80
nyck

what do you think they paid for ONE map? ten thousand dollars? in what kind of world are you living???
Old 11-01-2005   #81
[SS]Rator

lol... dont comment on the quality of the maps 'till you see them in the guide please.

Thanks for everyones support over the years, Nyck and Rotke too, BTW, the map supporters page is not complete. There are more people who have donated, but maybe only like 10 or so. I havent updated the site because the new SS site is due out like this week or early next week hopefully.

I'm gonna ask you questions, and every time you don't give me answers, I'm gonna cut something off. And I promise you...
Old 11-01-2005   #82
djlotus
Ensign

spawn

No offense man, but your way too young to understand what tranpired. Let me break it down for you. (Rator, please correct me if I am wrong anywhere in this).

Rator worked his ass off on the TWB and the online gaming maps; Socom being one of them. He has done other great work, which you would see if you ever visited Generator Studios site. Award winning work to be exact. He has done all of this; the maps and TWB; for free. whit the exception of a small fee for the TWB, he has not profited a penny. The donations for the maps probably didn't cover the money he could have made, if he was working on a different project for all those hours.

So, his talent is noticed by a multi-million dollar copmpnay. (Not sure which approached him) They say; how would you like to be paid for this work, and get one hell of credit for your company and clan.

You cant buy the type of exposure he will get from this. This will propell his company into the mix, like nothing else could. Think about it. Just calm down and think about it.

I bought the guide as a sign of respect for what he and the Sea Snipers have done for the Socom community. Not to give money to Sony. (Who, by the way, probably aren't getting much more than Rator, for the work on the guide, since Piggyback Interactive published the guide). You want to get pissed at someone, get pissed at your self. If you, and people like you, would have donated to the maps, we may have them this time around. you want it for free, well tough shit.

Try to think about shit before you talk. As for me and my clan, We all bought one. Then we each gridded the maps out at a set measurement. So, we have the maps. And, we all are looking at the same thing. Tactics arent an issue for us.

I for one donated to the maps cause before. And I found a way to it again. It's called: Buy the Statagy Guide

djlotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #83
[SS]Rator

Damn thanks DJ! I dont think any corrections need to be made, except that myself and Chenzo did the TWB and it is now free. It used to be $5 a year. The donations i got for the maps maybe covered 2 of the maps in terms of time and money. But youre right, if i had spent that time working on paying client stuff, i wouldve been making more.

We approached Piggyback at E3 and they called back to contract us. Sony doesnt make ANY money off the guide. Piggyback produced it and Prima published it.

Thanks again for everyones support , it is quite outstanding and humbling to see.bigclap

Old 11-01-2005   #84
heavenly spawn
Ensign

I'm not pissed. Not a lot atleast. Whoever makes the money (sony or otherwise) is still making the money. But hey, thats just the way the world works; capitalism. Thats why people, like raptor, make awsome shit, money. That is also why Raptor is more concerned with selling his skills to big companies, and not concerned with doing it for the community. Business is business I guess.
Old 11-01-2005   #85
[SS]Steve-O
Presidente

Quote:
Originally posted by heavenly spawn
Donating requires things. Things like money.
Well you know what else requires things, things like money? Bills, Mortgage payments, Car payments, Insurance on the car and the house, oh yeah and gas is becoming a little more expensive. hmmm what else requires things like money, oh yeah food. How do you expect to pay for those things when you have no money? WAIT! I got it, you get a job. WAIT! we have another problem, where do you find a job when your an illustrator? AH! you sell your work to other people... ya that should work.

Quote:
But no matter what you say, they did make it so we HAD to pay for the maps. Before, we could donate if we want/could have, but now we're FORCED to handing out 30 bucks (or whatever the cost). That's selling out in my book.
Well besides the facts I mentioned above, you now have a job, your first one to be precise, so you can go out and buy the guide with your first pay cheque. See how our wonderful economy works, work a little buy a little, work a lot buy a lot. I figure your probably making at least minimum wage which is I think around $6.00US(sorry I live in a different country not sure about your labor laws[and yes there are more countries in the world besides the US, but that is another lesson]) so mathematically if you work only 4-5 hours you can easily buy the guide with all the applicable taxes included.

Reward those that want to contribute to society. Is this not a great way to live?

Last edited by [SS]Steve-O : 11-01-2005 at 11:43 PM.
[SS]Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005   #86
[SS]Hoot
Ex-SS

Show alittle respect. The name is RATOR. Get it right. And you know all those maps he's done before. All for the community. Every single one of the available for everyone to use just for giving him credit. And after all that you want to call him a money monger? Think before you type.

The Defense Department regrets to inform you that your sons are dead because they were stupid.
[SS]Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005   #87
[SS]Rator

Ok. Thanks to everyone who has come to my/our defense, i wholeheartedly appreciate it. However this is becoming a bit of a relentless back and forth. Let's not encourage it. Spawn, as i said, youve made your point. You know what we've done for the community, 17 free maps in 3 years, 16 maps for $15, and a free TWB service etc. So saying "Raptor is more concerned with selling his skills to big companies, and not concerned with doing it for the community" is just plain incorrect.

Old 11-02-2005   #88
nyck

sorry rator, i understand you want to calm things down, but well, i hate ignorance, so i have to reply…

Quote:
But hey, thats just the way the world works; capitalism.
@spawn
don't you understand the principle of shareware? one creates something and gives it away for free, everybody uses it and everybody is thrilled by it. rules are: you can use it for free but please give credit and you may want to donate something for the afford.

now, the creator gets the fame and some money, but usually that does not make a living. if people like you donated he may got enough to spend more time in creating more stuff and no big corporation would be necessary.

or if people like you did not donate, because they do not have money, which is ok, but you could create sth useful by yourself instead thus giving back sth. and if you cannot do the latter because you dont have the time or abilities, it's ok, but at least you could evangelize, telling people how great the work of the guy is (you are using it all the time, aren't you?) and that they should support it if they can.

see, that's the way things work. and that is not capitalism. if it were you had not seen the maps in the first place, nor the whiteboard, because you had to pay for it… not fifteen dollars, because the works worth is a lot more (and don't forget that the quality would not be that excellent, because if people just work for money they usually dont put as much heart in it…).

Last edited by nyck : 11-02-2005 at 05:40 AM.
Old 11-03-2005   #89
heavenly spawn
Ensign

Alright, a cease-fire is fine with me. But, do you have an estimate as to when you'll be getting them for TWB?
Old 11-03-2005   #90
[SS]Rator

No, no idea as of yet, waiting on some sales reports first. But speaking of the TWB, we are working on TWB vers.2. Should be sweet. I'll keep you all posted. (Thnx for the cease fire , lol )