Go Back   [SS] Forums > Public Forums > General Conversation > [SS] 10th Anniversary
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2012   #1
[SS]Rator
Sea Snipers® Owner/Leader

015 The Sea Snipers® 10th Anniversary / Historical Item 1: Frostfire

The Sea Snipers® 10th Anniversary
Historical Item 1: Frostfire

Hard to believe, but we've been going for 10 years now.

So many cool things have happened since 2002 and we're going to be talking about some of them each day throughout the month of October. We hope you enjoy some of the tidbits we're going to be posting, and invite you to join in the conversations and share your own [SS] stories!

So first off, our new 10th anniversary logo! We feel this piece really embodies the salty dogs we've become over the years. Designed by a fellow illustrator friend of ours, Rachel Caldwell, who's work is fantastic. You can see more of her art at http://rachelcaldwellart.com

With all the guides and midnight release events and signings and the league and everything else we've done, sometimes even WE forget it all started in 2002 when we created our first map, Frostfire for Socom 1. Not really that pretty looking at it now though huh? lol.

However ugly it might look to us now, it IS accurate and helped TONS of players and clans way back when. So much so, that players and clans would contribute their hard earned cash to help us fire these out as quickly as possible.

I don't know how many of you remember, but people could pay $25 to name something on the map like "Sports Dojo". Clans also sponsored maps by donating $100 to get their team's logo on the map as well. Thank you to all of those players and teams that supported us, very cool!

Deciding to release these maps to the public started the adventure we've been on for the past 10 years now, and we wouldn't change a thing. We didn't think that we were giving other teams an advantage that we could have kept for ourselves, we just wanted to share and help everyone have as much fun as we did.

I've been asked so many times "how do you make those maps?". There's no easy answer to that, but I can show you how it all starts at least. Here's the sketch of Frostfire from 2002 before I took it into Photoshop to make it all fancy-like.

Pretty cool to go back and look at how it all started.

We'd like to thank all of the Sea Snipers past and present that have helped us along the way and continue to do so, as well as all our friends and fans that have supported us all this time. We appreciate it, and hope you all stay tuned for even more cool timeline events that we'll be posting each day.

Stop by and share your stories with us!

I'm gonna ask you questions, and every time you don't give me answers, I'm gonna cut something off. And I promise you...
they will be things you will miss!
[SS]Rator is offline   Reply With Quote