Go Back   [SS] Forums > Public Forums > General Conversation
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2011   #1
[SS]Grifter
Infidel

Apple unveils 'iCloud'

Thought this was interesting for anyone else with a Mac - just announced this morning here in San Francisco.

Apple unveils 'iCloud' storage, new operating systems

LINKY

Quote:
San Francisco (CNN) -- Apple's Steve Jobs on Monday announced a new produced called "iCloud," which lets Apple product owners store documents on the Internet instead of on their own computer hard drives or mobile phones.

The free service replaces a product called MobileMe and piggybacks on the idea of cloud computing -- which means computer users are storing more of their information "in the cloud" of the Internet rather than on their own gadgets.

All of a person's Apple devices -- iPhone, iPads and Mac computers -- sync with Apple's iCloud, giving users access to their documents, photos, apps, calendars and e-mails from any location, not just on a specific gadget.

"We think this is going to be pretty big," said Jobs, who is the co-founder of Apple and who has been on medical leave since January.

iCloud only stores a maximum of 1,000 photos for up to 30 days, and it appears that it will store music that users have purchased directly from iTunes, Apple's own music store.

"This is the first time we've seen this in the music industry," Jobs said.

Jobs has not announced when iCloud will be released. Apple's press event at the Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco is still ongoing, and you can follow live updates from the event on the @CNNTech Twitter feed.

Apple typically uses WWDC, as the event is called in tech circles, to announce a new version on the popular iPhone.

But not this year.

"If the hardware is the brain ... of our products, the software is their soul. And today, we are going to talk about software," Jobs said before a packed audience, wearing his standard uniform of a black mock-turtleneck and jeans.

Analysts expect a new iPhone in September.

The company on Monday announced new versions of its operating systems.

Mac OS X Lion, the company's new operating system for laptop and desktop computers, will be available next month for $30, the company said.

That operating system features new "gestures" that make computers work much more like tablets and touch-screen mobile phones.

"If anyone was doubting that iOS and OS X are converging, the use of the trackpad for gestures should convince you. It's incredibly tablet-like. But I wonder how much getting used to it'll take?" Gizmodo wrote on its live blog of the event, which started at 1 p.m. ET.

A new version of Apple's mobile operating system -- called iOS 5 -- introduces a system of alerts for iPhones and iPads. A "Notification Center" organizes alerts by app, and these alerts pop up at the top of the screen where they can be more easily ignored. Currently these alerts show up in the center of the screen and interrupt users.

The mobile operating system also integrates with Twitter, allowing users to tweet photos from within the Camera and Maps apps.

"We want to make it easier for all of our customers to use Twitter," Apple's Scott Forstall said at the event in San Francisco.

A new built-in app called Reminders lets users create to-do lists; and an update to the iPhone and iPad e-mail system will let people create messages in bold or italics, as well as encrypt the messages they send from mobile devices.

An update to the Camera app lets people take photos by pressing the volume-up button on the side of the iPad or iPhone. Previously, users had to open up the Camera app to take photos, which was seen as cumbersome.

The new Camera app also lets users edit photos on the fly, simulating features already available from many third-party app developers.

iOS updates will be available for the first time "over the air," meaning users won't have to sync their devices with desktop computers to get new software.

Users can also sync phones with iTunes over Wi-Fi.

“Weapons down or I will not be responsible for what comes next.” - Captain America
[SS]Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011   #2
[SS]Chief
Brew Master

Hell yea! I use MobileMe....so this is just it on steroids....me likey.

"Give a man a beer, he'll waste an afternoon. But teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime!"
[SS]Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #3
[SS]Midnight
Lima Oscar Lima!

I am interested. Need to read more about it to understand what it fully offers.

"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood! NOBODY!" -- White Goodman
[SS]Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #4
[SS]Grifter
Infidel

Lots of info here Midnight. Looks pretty cool actually. being new to the Mac side of things, one of the things I was surprised at was the cost of the new OS - $30. I paid at least 7x that for the new MS OS when it came out.

“Weapons down or I will not be responsible for what comes next.” - Captain America
Old 06-07-2011   #5
[SS]Switters
sweets to the sweet

as a photo guy i am curious about photos only being stored for 30 days with icloud. not sure i like the sound of that, and i wonder if there would be a time limit on other media stored, music, movies, etc.

other than that, and that might just be a case of lack of information on the subject, i think it's cool that apple is embracing the idea of cloud computing. and i for one am definitely excited about the ability to sync my phone without having to hook it up to a comp. loooove me some iphone, so any improvements or innovations there are really exciting imo.

[SS]Switters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #6
[SS]Chief
Brew Master

The way I understand and read. If you purchase something from iTunes...it's there forever. So that's good. As far as pics...I have an external hard drive that I use for pics with a back-up using my TimeCapsule. So I'm sure it's for streaming over AppleTV...however I have MobileMe...which will be going away. On that, they have Gallery which I can store all my stuff. But I only get 10GB free...you can purchase more room.

"Give a man a beer, he'll waste an afternoon. But teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime!"
Old 06-07-2011   #7
[SS]Grifter
Infidel

Swit, it looks like iCloud will store NEW photo's for you for up to 30 days in your photo stream. From there, it looks like you have to add them to your camera roll for permanent storage. I think you will still be able to stream and share those photo's at any time via the camera roll - the ones you want to keep on hand anyway - via iCloud. Hopefully we'll find out more soon :)

Old 06-07-2011   #8
[SS]Chief
Brew Master

This is where crackberry and SMS loose...

Apple Has Finally Stuck A Dagger Into SMS.

Old 06-08-2011   #9
[SS]Grifter
Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SS]Chief View Post
This is where crackberry and SMS loose...

Apple Has Finally Stuck A Dagger Into SMS.
I haven't had the chance to see all the keynote stuff - but that right there, is badass.

Old 06-08-2011   #10
[SS]Chief
Brew Master

The Top Ten....

1. Mac OS X “Lion”

The new version of Mac OS X will incorporate many more elements from iOS, like touch gestures. It's also only $30, and available through the Mac App Store.

2. More efficient iOS notifications

Instead of managing multiple pop-up bubbles, notifications will align themselves at the top of the screen.

3. System-wide integration of Twitter

Each app will now allow you to easily tweet out photos, YouTube videos, and links.

4. Location-aware reminders

These reminders can be set so that if you go to a specific location you need something from, iOS will notify you so that you don't forget.

5. iMessage

Like Research in Motion's BBM service, iMessage is an iOS-to-iOS messaging program that avoids text charges and caps.

6. Wireless syncing

Calling this the “post-PC” era, iOS users will now be able to simply login with their Apple IDs and sync all their devices.

7. Volume button = camera button

For faster access, the left-side volume buttons can now open up the camera as well.

8. iCloud

The biggest announcement was “iCloud,” which will give every iOS user a free 5GB of storage, and allow you to store documents, photos, music, calendars, contacts, and emails online.

9. Instant-access iTunes purchases

Now you'll be able to buy a song on iTunes and immediately transfer it to your iOS device.

10. iTunes “scan and match”

For $25 a year, Apple will scan all your music files—regardless of their source—and convert them so that they can all be accessed through the cloud.

Old 08-07-2011   #11
[SS]Chief
Brew Master

Well part of the Cloud is here!! There was an update to my Apple TV and you can now see your purchases. Meaning stuff I've 'ever' bought on iTunes for TV shows is NOW available anytime....pretty freaking sweet since I dumped a bunch because of room on my hard drive.

Quote:
Apple on Monday updated its Apple TV set-top-box, adding the ability to purchase TV shows from iTunes and stream shows that have already been purchased, and also adding the ability to re-download TV shows through iTunes [updated].

Users can download and install the update directly from their latest-generation Apple TV. New features of the update, according to Apple, are:
iTunes TV Shows: Purchase your favorite TV shows directly from the iTunes Store, and watch the shows you already own, commercial-free in HD.
Vimeo: Browse and play videos from Vimeo, access your video inbox, and mark videos you want to watch later.

Update: In addition, users can also re-download TV shows via Apple's iCloud service through the iTunes desktop software, or iTunes on iOS devices. A new "TV Shows" section shows up as a tab in the "Purchased" section of the iTunes Store.

Released in 2010, the new Apple TV represented a shift for the company, as it pushed studios to allow 99 cent rentals of TV shows, rather than costlier permanent purchases. But some studios have been reluctant to participate, calling Apple's 99-cent model too inexpensive.

Apple's latest update would seem to circumvent those issues, allowing users to watch shows they already own and buy new content. It's also a departure from the rental-only approach first attempted with the new Apple TV.
I haven't used Vimeo yet, but I'm on it. I have to say...I'm one step away from dumping Cable TV. With Netflix and the ability to read news online...the next step will be sports like they have MLB on Apple. I mean Direct TV has an Apple App already for NFL Sports Ticket. So who knows....perhaps it will come to Apple TV?

Old 10-13-2011   #12
[SS]Chief
Brew Master

It’s HERE!!! Downloaded all the updates (iTunes, iPhone, iPad etc). Right now there is a high volume of folks moving their MobileMe accounts over...it gives me a wait till there is lower traffic sign.....

Old 10-13-2011   #13
[SS]Grifter
Infidel

Hey Chief (and everyone else)....

Get 50GB Free Storage for iOS

Sure, iCloud gives you 5GB of free storage. How cute! Box.net just blew it out of the water. For the next 50 days, it is offering iOS users 50 GB of free storage. It's a pirate's bounty!

Not only is it a pretty sweet deal, but it's also one bereft of any significant fineprint. While a lot of offers like these expire after a certain term, or only open to new users, this one is neither. It's open to anyone, and lasts forever. Go get it.

LINKY

Old 10-13-2011   #14
[SS]Midnight
Lima Oscar Lima!

Wow. I am all over that.

"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood! NOBODY!" -- White Goodman
[SS]Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011   #15
[SS]Snakebite
Thats Mr Sarcastic to you

Thanks for the heads up on that. I signed up and I'm using it to backup around 40gb of work files now. Upload time is pretty fast.

[SS]Snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote