Go Back   [SS] Forums > Public Forums > Questions
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2009   #1
[SSr]PhilYurcracken

PROS and CONS...

Ok guys I am going to continue with what I started on some other thread, I was asking some questions about the XBOX 360, difference between the two most popular consoles XBOX and PS3, etc etc...
I dont want to know which one is better, I just want to know PROS and CONS. also, this is for those of you who really know the difference between the consoles and not what you have heard about them.

I own a PS3 and I dont know anything about XBOX live...

thank you.
[SSr]PhilYurcracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009   #2
AEJustin1

I HAD both consoles.............. They are both excellent consoles. XBOX Live is the best part of the 360, it's online is awesome and unrivaled. However the 360 hardware is a totally different story. I have gone through 4 360's in the time I've had 1 PS3. I finally got fed up this last time and traded all my 360 games and accesories in and am now a PS3 exclusive. (for now anyways, cause I love Live so much I'll end up getting another 360)

If you don't stand behind our troops. Please feel free to stand in front of them...
PROUD to be an AMERICAN!
AEJustin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009   #3
Bassani

despite how many 360's Ive gone through too, I prefer the 360 over the PS3 too. Sony never even sent me the box to sent them a broken PS3 back. I was a die hard PS fan till I actually moved to the 360 along with the SS. I have to say it was the better choice.

IMO, the menu interface is easier on the 360 as well, unless they have done some changes since last Nov...

Get an extended warranty somewhere or get your 360 from Sams Club, I hear that their return policy is unrivaled anywhere...
Old 07-11-2009   #4
[SS]Rator
Sea Snipers® Owner/Leader

Ok 360 pros and cons...

PRO:
Best online service, $50 a year
Netflix = 10,000+ movies
1500 other movies without needing netflix plus tv shows, series, game demos, vids etc
detachable HD to bring over to a friends place
optional camera, controller keypad, wireless headset and Natal to come making the 360 a combo of the 360 + the Wii.
vibration controller
connect to pc to view all pics, mp3s, and vids
tons of original xbox games and arcade games
party chat up to 8 people in a party, all can be playing same game or all diff games with vid and pic sharing etc.
MS isnt afraid to spend money on DLC and exclusives, almost every multiplatform game WILL come out first on the 360. (bioshock took over a year to come to ps3)
More good exclusives, Gears of war 2, Halo, Forza, etc.
live game shows like 1 vs 100 where you can win real money + prizes
everyone has a 360
Dont have to install everything you DL
Dont have to plug in your controller to charge it

CON:
Bad hardware. 50% chance your 360 will die. MS has a 2 year warranty and will just send you a box, fix it and send it back. about 10 days to 2 weeks.
Some models are loud when drive spins up
its bright white unless you get an elite or special model
no blu ray player, hd-dvd player optional

I'm gonna ask you questions, and every time you don't give me answers, I'm gonna cut something off. And I promise you...
they will be things you will miss!
[SS]Rator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009   #5
[RVN] SgtJoeFriday

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SS]Rator View Post
Ok 360 pros and cons...

PRO:
Best online service, $50 a year
Netflix = 10,000+ movies
1500 other movies without needing netflix plus tv shows, series, game demos, vids etc PS3 has movies and tv shows for purchase as well. and free game demos and news
Avatar/character customization PS3 not custom but many to choose from
detachable HD to bring over to a friends place PS3 also possible
optional camera, controller keypad, wireless headset and Natal to come making the 360 a combo of the 360 + the Wii. PS3 also has peripherals. And a motion controller that utilizes the camera for "real time" movement in development
vibration controller PS3 has Dualshock too
connect to pc to view all pics, mp3s, and vids PS3 check
tons of original xbox games and arcade games xbox wins title numbers war for the moment, but as we've seen, EA is announcing that the xbox is pretty much at it's limit for game dev. while PS3 still has a future
party chat up to 8 people in a party, all can be playing same game or all diff games with vid and pic sharing etc. xbox feature that's BADASS PS3 does however offer a txt "chat rm" that works the same
MS isnt afraid to spend money on DLC and exclusives, almost every multiplatform game WILL come out first on the 360. (bioshock took over a year to come to ps3)
More good exclusives, Gears of war 2, Halo, Forza, etc.
live game shows like 1 vs 100 where you can win real money + prizes
everyone has a 360 NOT EVERYONE
Dont have to install everything you DL
Dont have to plug in your controller to charge it PS3 also

PS3 I can connect a PSP remotely
Custom backgrounds and unique themes for XMB screen
Can txt chat with while in game with people in different games
Blu-Ray player
I've had the same one since the original release and NO issues, not once

CON:
Bad hardware. 50% chance your 360 will die. MS has a 2 year warranty and will just send you a box, fix it and send it back. about 10 days to 2 weeks.
Some models are loud when drive spins up
its bright white unless you get an elite or special model
no blu ray player, hd-dvd player optional
The decision is more of what you're interested in and what your friends have.

[RVN] SgtJoeFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009   #6
[SS]Rator

lol he wanted pros and cons for the 360, he already HAS a ps3 so he knows what it has and what it does.

and 360 has custom themes for your dashboard AND you can load in your OWN background images.

you can not only send text messages while in game, but you can send voice and pics and vids while in game and the party.

I'm gonna ask you questions, and every time you don't give me answers, I'm gonna cut something off. And I promise you...
Old 07-11-2009   #7
Bassani

You can do Vid msgs? You sure about that one?
Old 07-11-2009   #8
[SS]Rator

i thought so, i dont have the camera thingy so i can say for sure, but pic messages definitely.

Old 07-11-2009   #9
Bassani

No, no vid msgs, pics and voices yes though. You CAN do a vid chat though, though I think you can with the PS eye too, no?

EDIT:
Some games will allow you to use the XBL vision cam too, such as UNO and stuff too...
Old 07-11-2009   #10
[SS]Grifter
Infidel

Until the 360, I was always a PS gamer apart from the early days of Nintendo.

I have had 2 360's, not one of them has broke or has died on me.

I waited through the first 6 months of the 360's release to let the bugs get worked out, then I bought it. I have never had it die on me, not once. I did send it in to get a different CD player installed - like many others did - because it was so loud. It wasn't broken, it was the model of the CD player that was installed. I got it back in 7 days at no cost to me, was happy as a clam and it was a lot quieter.

I then traded the original model in for an Elite, whice I have been quite happy with. No issues, never had the RRoD, nothing. I keep mine out in the open, well ventilated and I don't screw around with it by moving it all over the place. It sits on my desk hooked up to my 27" HD PC monitor and doesn't move.

Like many others have said, hands down - Live is unrivaled. Some of the PS3 games do have their own servers that actually run the game. 2 I can think of off the top of my head are Resistance and WarHawk. I have played those on my brothers PS3 before I moved, and they were actually cool games. However, a lot of the PS3 games are direct peer-to-peer (where Xbox has you log into a Live server, then attach to a game). Sony stated as much that they didn't feel the need to create an online host system like Live, so they didn't. The peer-to-peer on the PS3, from my experience, isn't any better than the peer-to-peer on the PS2.

Is there lag online? Of course. It's an online game, there's always going to be lag to some extent regardless if you play on a PC, PS3 or 360. I have noticed it especially on the baseball games online. It's just like a half second slower, unlike how it is playing single player. But I have experienced that on both the PS2, PS3 and 360.

In the end, it's what you want out of the gaming system. My brother strictly uses his PS3 now to play WarHawk and watch Blu-Ray movies. He's since moved onto the 360 because of the stability of their online. He's quite happy. I didn't get a PS3 for several reasons. The loss of exclusive games, the uncertainty of their online and where they were taking it, I didn't need a Blu-Ray player to play games I wanted a gaming console to play games and that's what I bought, the fact that I was still needing to create a name for every game I had to play also bothered me having been spoiled by Live and the "One Name All Games" policy they have. I like that.

All I can suggest to you is to try it out. If you have a buddy that has one, go over their house tell him what you want to do and test drive the console and see how you like it.

Myself, I'm not disappointed in the system. It's updated on a continual basis and the functionality is very easy.

Good luck.

“Weapons down or I will not be responsible for what comes next.” - Captain America
[SS]Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009   #11
[SS]Rator

You moved cause i made you, lol...

Old 07-11-2009   #12
[SSr]PhilYurcracken

Thank you very much for your feedback, I think its going to be very useful.

Now, I been thinking about getting a 360 next month, I dont want to go to cheap or too expensive so I think Im getting the $299 one.

Another thing, I would really appreciate it if someone can guide me on what I have to do to get me running, what I mean by this is, how can I get to xbox live?, where do I have to pay for my membership?, besides the console what other accesories do I need to get by the time I purchase my 360? Any other suggestions are welcome..

thank you very much...
Old 07-11-2009   #13
Bassani

The Pro Unit with a 60GB HDD will give you everything you need to get started except for a LIVE membership, actually it comes with a 30 day trial when you go to join LIVE, other than that, you can look for deal on Amazon.com for 1 year card, normal price is $50 USD. Sometimes you can find them as low as $30.

But you will want a HDD for game saves and such, ethernet cable and a headset all of with come with the 60GB unit. The Elite which has a 120GB HDD also comes with a HDMI cable.

Depending on how serious you decide to get with your gaming, you might also want to look towards a set of Turtle Beach X4's. Its a headphone with mic built in. Worth the $200 if you play late at night and dont want to disturb others and you can hear a bit better unless you have a nasty surround sound setup.

Elite with 2 free games
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218085597958

Regular Elite
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1172881999620

Pro Unit
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1215818957702

1 yr LIVE card
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Live-...7367373&sr=8-1

I just selected Best Buy, you can get any of this just about anywhere though...

Good luck...

Last edited by Bassani : 07-11-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-12-2009   #14
[SS]Grifter
Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SS]Rator View Post
You moved cause i made you, lol...
Actually, if you remember right - I was one of the first to get it and you had me test out all sorts of shit...LOL....

All in all, I'm glad that we made the move. It was the right decision for us as a whole and we haven't regretted it.

“Weapons down or I will not be responsible for what comes next.” - Captain America
[SS]Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009   #15
[SSr]PhilYurcracken

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SS]Bassani View Post
The Pro Unit with a 60GB HDD will give you everything you need to get started except for a LIVE membership, actually it comes with a 30 day trial when you go to join LIVE, other than that, you can look for deal on Amazon.com for 1 year card, normal price is $50 USD. Sometimes you can find them as low as $30.

But you will want a HDD for game saves and such, ethernet cable and a headset all of with come with the 60GB unit. The Elite which has a 120GB HDD also comes with a HDMI cable.

Depending on how serious you decide to get with your gaming, you might also want to look towards a set of Turtle Beach X4's. Its a headphone with mic built in. Worth the $200 if you play late at night and dont want to disturb others and you can hear a bit better unless you have a nasty surround sound setup.

Elite with 2 free games
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218085597958

Regular Elite
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1172881999620

Pro Unit
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1215818957702

1 yr LIVE card
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Live-...7367373&sr=8-1

I just selected Best Buy, you can get any of this just about anywhere though...

Good luck...

Cool, thank you for taking the time to do some research and share with me.

one more question tho, are the Microsoft Xbox 360 Play & Charge Kit and the Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Networking Adapter part of the elite consoles or do I have to buy them separately?