Go Back   [SS] Forums > Public Forums > General Conversation
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2012   #1
Tagger

'Family-Friendly’ TX Gun Range to Host Birthday Parties for Kids

Link to story with embedded video

Quote:
Forget clowns, magicians, inflatables and Chuck E. Cheese. There will soon be a more unique way for children to celebrate their birthdays. The Eagle Gun Range in Lewisville, Texas, is planning to offer kids as young as 8-years-old the opportunity to host gun-shooting parties.

Later this summer, the range, which is being dubbed “family-friendly,” will make two rooms available for hosting these special birthday experiences. David Prince, who is currently building the new, state-of-the-art gun range, told WFAA-TV that the children’s party offering isn’t just about fun; it’s also about education.

“One of the reasons we’re doing this is, when I had my boys, I didn’t have a place to take them and educate them about how to handle a gun safely,” he said. “I really want families to be able to take their kids here and teach their young shooters how to shoot safely.”

Family-friendly gun range offering birthday parties for kids
A new indoor gun range is under construction in Lewisville that’s catering to families. It will even host birthday parties for children as young as eight years old. view full article

For those families who may be nervous to allow their children to host and attend gun-shooting parties, Prince says that there will be safety provisions put into place. Kids won’t be left unattended and they will work with a parent or staff member one-on-one to ensure that they know what they’re doing.

“We’re gonna do a lot of education here at this range,” he said.

A warning on the business’ web site seems to corroborate this pledge:

“Young shooters (under 18 years of age) are ONLY allowed to shoot on the range with their parent or guardian; one young shooter per adult. No children are allowed on the range nor are they to be left unaccompanied in the showroom while adults shoot.”

Screen shot of Eagle Gun Range web site

While locals are excited about the business that the Eagle Gun Range will bring to the area, others, like Dawn McMullan, are nervous. The mother of two has participated in gun control advocacy in the past and she fears that the kids may not fully understand the differences between reality and play.

“It makes me very nervous,” she told WFAA-TV. “I think eight-year-olds, developmentally, can’t tell the difference between play and reality sometimes.”

“And also to put it in a party or game atmosphere just seems to not respect a gun as much as we should respect guns,” she added.

The range is expected to open in late summer or early fall.

Galatians 2:20
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #2
[SS]Midnight
Lima Oscar Lima!

I think this is great. I began teaching my son about gun safety and how to shoot at around 8. Heck I even bought him his own gun, single shot interchangeable barrel .22/210.

"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood! NOBODY!" -- White Goodman
[SS]Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #3
DatGuy

I do not see this ending well
DatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #4
Tagger

I think it's a good idea - teaching kids how to use firearms responsibly in a controlled environment. A few years ago when I lived in the country, one of the neighbor's kids came over and somehow we got to talking about guns. I forget what we were discussing specifically now. But, the gist of it is he clearly did not understand the destructive power of a 12GA shotgun.

I own a Mossberg 500. He thought it looked really cool with the pistol grip and was begging to shoot it. Once I showed him what it could do to a milk jug at 20 yards firing buckshot, he lost his enthusiasm and grew a respectful fear of the potential in the weapon. That is a good thing in a young boy or girl.

I bet most kids who hurt themselves or others (accidentaly) never knew the real power of a firearm before their fatal mistake. Educating them properly can help reduce the chances of an accidental killing. Let's face it, kids are always going to have access to weapons if they are kept in the house and not in a safe.

At the least, teaching them some responsibility is better than not doing it and wishing for the best.

Galatians 2:20
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #5
[SS]Rator
Sea Snipers® Owner/Leader

Yea we know DG is afraid of guns, but it is MUCH better to know how to use one and what it can do than not to know.

Better to have and not need, than need and not have. That goes for knowledge as well in my book. I started shooting around 8 or so with the scouts.

I'm gonna ask you questions, and every time you don't give me answers, I'm gonna cut something off. And I promise you...
they will be things you will miss!
[SS]Rator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #6
DatGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SS]Rator View Post
Yea we know DG is afraid of guns, but it is MUCH better to know how to use one and what it can do than not to know.

Better to have and not need, than need and not have. That goes for knowledge as well in my book. I started shooting around 8 or so with the scouts.
not afraid, and I know how to use one...just don't care for them...unless they are digital, and Im using my digital bullets to blast tators face
DatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #7
[SS]Midnight
Lima Oscar Lima!

Get your kids ready for the youth hunt.

Goodness knows this kid could have used it...

"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood! NOBODY!" -- White Goodman
[SS]Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote