Go Back   [SS] Forums > Public Forums > General Conversation
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-24-2009   #1
NEO-X

Google Voice

Just wondering if any of you guys have heard of or have gotten a beta invite?

Ive been tinkering around with it, and Its actually pretty damn cool

http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html

NEO-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #2
Sabotage

Is it like skype? I liked skype I found it very usefull before I knew what ventrilo or teamspeak was. But it seems everything has voice now though. For the of gamers: xfire has voice in the chat rooms now.

"I am an indestructible master of war" - Disturbed

“Hitler built a fortress around Europe, but he forgot to put a roof on it.”- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Sabotage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #3
NEO-X

Well, its not direct voip perse, tho I think some of that technology is in use somewhere..

Basically u have a google number... then u tell google ur numbers, and u give ppl your goog number.. So when ppl call your goog number it can ring all phones, some phones, block it based on who it is, or send it to voice mail..

U can listen in on someone leaving the voicemail, as u cud do back in the day on regular answering machines..

You can switch phones in real time by pressing a number, so cell to land line just like that.

On the web interface you can read voice mail transcripts, or listen online, make calls (it rings your phone and connects u), send sms...

Basically, you get a ton of options, its pretty damn cool

NEO-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #4
Sabotage

That's basically a newer version of skype. But being that it's made by google means there will probably be more users on it.

"I am an indestructible master of war" - Disturbed

“Hitler built a fortress around Europe, but he forgot to put a roof on it.”- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Sabotage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009   #5
[SS]ProXimo
Proximo Studios

I got my invite about 2 weeks ago. I won't benefit from most of it's features but there is still one great thing about it.

I only have one phone number, so I won't take advantage of blasting several phones with one number.

I am about to get my iPhone so Visual Voicemail will work on my cell. No need to use Google's visual voicemail.

I don't talk International at all, so the discounted price won't do much for me.

So what will I use my Google Voice number for? Simple. I will only give my friends my actual number and use Google Voice phone number for registering with sites, banks, forums, services, etc.

This way if they ever try to annoy me, I can block them of any future calls and I won't have to worry about my number getting leaked out to some list.

I see a huge benefit in this alone. My business number will be Google Voice so that I don't have to use my personal cell number. When I hand out my business card, I really don't know much about the person and would hate to risk giving my cell to just anyone. Google Voice will be great for this too.

That is what i will use it for at least.

[SS]ProXimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #6
PAs_SCORPION
Professional Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SS]ProXimo View Post
I got my invite about 2 weeks ago. I won't benefit from most of it's features but there is still one great thing about it.

I only have one phone number, so I won't take advantage of blasting several phones with one number.

I am about to get my iPhone so Visual Voicemail will work on my cell. No need to use Google's visual voicemail.

I don't talk International at all, so the discounted price won't do much for me.

So what will I use my Google Voice number for? Simple. I will only give my friends my actual number and use Google Voice phone number for registering with sites, banks, forums, services, etc.

This way if they ever try to annoy me, I can block them of any future calls and I won't have to worry about my number getting leaked out to some list.

I see a huge benefit in this alone. My business number will be Google Voice so that I don't have to use my personal cell number. When I hand out my business card, I really don't know much about the person and would hate to risk giving my cell to just anyone. Google Voice will be great for this too.

That is what i will use it for at least.
Great idea. I like that. Use it as a filter. Quick thinking Prox!
PAs_SCORPION is offline   Reply With Quote