Go Back   [SS] Forums > Public Forums > General Conversation
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-10-2011   #1
[SSr]LouSaynis

Any Computer Techies out there?

I've been having issues getting on of the keys on my keyboard to work correctly. Haven't been able to get help from Microsoft or HP, the guys at <1> don't seem to know that the issue is so maybe someone here might. Here's what I posted on the <1> boards:

Quote:
Alright, I've tried what I can think of, but I can't figure it out.
The tilde (~) key on my laptop doesn't input on press, only on hold. This means (in many cases) that I can open the dev console in-game, but not close it. In other cases, I just plain can't open it at all. I've ruled out a hardware malfunction by binding the input to a key on my mouse, but I have the same issues, no input on press, only on hold.
Anybody know what is happening here and how I might be able to fix it?
Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Also tried using the on-screen keyboard to input. Same deal.

EDIT: I've seen a lot about interference from the IR transceiver driver. Uninstalled/ deleted it, no change. Re-installed, still no change.

EDIT: Tried disabling international keyboard. No change
Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give!
Old 01-10-2011   #2
[SS]Grifter
Infidel

Sorry O.D., all I can find is this....

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fallo...251&pid=918428

I found this searching over internet to find the solution for this problem. It seems most of the laptop with Windows Vista installed have same problem of unable to bring up the console command by pressing tilde(~) key because most of them comes installed with Microsoft eHome IR.

It is simple to fix actually. It's either delete this, or modify littlebit to go around this function.

Go to 'Device Mananger' -> 'Keyboard' -> 'Microsoft eHome MCIR 109 Keyboard'

Right click it, and now you can either choose to 'uninstall' to simply make the tilde key works again in fallout 3, oblivion and other games that does not let you use ~ as console. However, If you feel discomforted uninstalling the driver, then there is other solution.

Right click it and instead of clicking 'uninstall', choose 'update driver software'

when new window pops up, choose 'browse my computer for driver software'

now when new stuff comes up, choose 'let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'

several stuff comes up as a list. click on 'HID-compliant device' and click 'next' (or simply double click it)

now it is done!! try fallout 3 and see for yourself.

“Weapons down or I will not be responsible for what comes next.” - Captain America
[SS]Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011   #3
[SSr]LouSaynis

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SS]Grifter View Post
Sorry O.D., all I can find is this....

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fallo...251&pid=918428

I found this searching over internet to find the solution for this problem. It seems most of the laptop with Windows Vista installed have same problem of unable to bring up the console command by pressing tilde(~) key because most of them comes installed with Microsoft eHome IR.

It is simple to fix actually. It's either delete this, or modify littlebit to go around this function.

Go to 'Device Mananger' -> 'Keyboard' -> 'Microsoft eHome MCIR 109 Keyboard'

Right click it, and now you can either choose to 'uninstall' to simply make the tilde key works again in fallout 3, oblivion and other games that does not let you use ~ as console. However, If you feel discomforted uninstalling the driver, then there is other solution.

Right click it and instead of clicking 'uninstall', choose 'update driver software'

when new window pops up, choose 'browse my computer for driver software'

now when new stuff comes up, choose 'let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'

several stuff comes up as a list. click on 'HID-compliant device' and click 'next' (or simply double click it)

now it is done!! try fallout 3 and see for yourself.
Thanks, but no results.
Old 01-11-2011   #4
[SS]Chief
Brew Master

Get a Mac....

I'm just sayin'

"Give a man a beer, he'll waste an afternoon. But teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime!"
[SS]Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011   #5
[SS]Grifter
Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SS]Chief View Post
Get a Mac....

I'm just sayin'
Gettin' one

Sorry O.D. - Did you download something that made the change to the keyboard driver or configuration maybe? That's the only other thing I can think of...this isn't a new keyboard, right? This is one that came with your workstation or you bought at Best Buy or something? You didn't get it off of Ebay?

The only thing I keep coming back to is a driver for the keyboard or a configuration file that has been over written during an installation. I can probably figure out the configuration if I knew more as to what hapened.....

“Weapons down or I will not be responsible for what comes next.” - Captain America
Old 01-11-2011   #6
Bassani

I can get twice the PC for the cost of a Mac, just sayin...
Old 01-11-2011   #7
[SSr]LouSaynis

Quote:
Gettin' one

Sorry O.D. - Did you download something that made the change to the keyboard driver or configuration maybe? That's the only other thing I can think of...this isn't a new keyboard, right? This is one that came with your workstation or you bought at Best Buy or something? You didn't get it off of Ebay?

The only thing I keep coming back to is a driver for the keyboard or a configuration file that has been over written during an installation. I can probably figure out the configuration if I knew more as to what hapened.....
It's the hardware keyboard. I have an HP Pavilion dv7-1285dx

I can't really give more than I've already give other than the fact that it doesn't register presses, only holding
Old 01-11-2011   #8
[SS]Grifter
Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERDRIVE4825 View Post
It's the hardware keyboard. I have an HP Pavilion dv7-1285dx

I can't really give more than I've already give other than the fact that it doesn't register presses, only holding
Ok, so you're saying only on the long press - does it work if it is pressed twice?

have you tried re-installing the keyboard drivers? And I know it's kind of a last ditch effort - but what about a complete re-install?

How new is the work station? The only thing I can think of is that there was a change in the configuration file by something installed or updated....I don't imagine that this is a single switch issue wit hthe keyboard, as it followed you from one thing to the next. Also, what layout arre you using for your keyboard? Win7? XP? Vista?

Last edited by [SS]Grifter : 01-11-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2011   #9
[SSr]LouSaynis

Quote:
Ok, so you're saying only on the long press - does it work if it is pressed twice?

have you tried re-installing the keyboard drivers? And I know it's kind of a last ditch effort - but what about a complete re-install?

How new is the work station? The only thing I can think of is that there was a change in the configuration file by something installed or updated....I don't imagine that this is a single switch issue wit hthe keyboard, as it followed you from one thing to the next. Also, what layout arre you using for your keyboard? Win7? XP? Vista?
I am using 7 Home Premium. I got the computer with Vista on it and had the problem then, too. I've uninstalled and re-installed the drivers for the keyboard several times. Any specific file that I might look in for this key?
Old 01-11-2011   #10
[SS]Grifter
Infidel

Do you get the same problem with a different keyboard?

Microsoft has a fix it file....try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306560

There is also a MS Configuration keyboard layout creator...

Last edited by [SS]Grifter : 01-11-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-11-2011   #11
[SS]Grifter
Infidel

Ok, so now you really have me racking my head on this one...a few more questions....

Did you do the Win7 upgrade from Vista? Is this a wireless keyboard or wired? Also - HP loves its software for it's media type keyboards. It's quite possible that installing those drivers on Vista (or having Vista do it all by itself) doesn't make it all happy happy joy joy. This is one of the problems with Windows and PC's.....not all hardware is compatable with all drivers of Windows OS. You might need to use a stripped down keyboard and then do a reinstall and upgrade to Win7 from Vista - again. After the upgrade is complete, you can then plug in your HP media keyboard and then install the drivers, in theory...this should work and correct the issue if it is indeed a driver issue - which I'm almost confident that it is.

Old 01-11-2011   #12
[SSr]LouSaynis

Quote:
Ok, so now you really have me racking my head on this one...a few more questions....

Did you do the Win7 upgrade from Vista? Is this a wireless keyboard or wired? Also - HP loves its software for it's media type keyboards. It's quite possible that installing those drivers on Vista (or having Vista do it all by itself) doesn't make it all happy happy joy joy. This is one of the problems with Windows and PC's.....not all hardware is compatable with all drivers of Windows OS. You might need to use a stripped down keyboard and then do a reinstall and upgrade to Win7 from Vista - again. After the upgrade is complete, you can then plug in your HP media keyboard and then install the drivers, in theory...this should work and correct the issue if it is indeed a driver issue - which I'm almost confident that it is.
It's not a media keyboard, it's a laptop.

I opened up the keyboard config exe and the ~ is showing up as a dead key.

I'm trying to avoid re-installing the OS as I don't have any developer copies of anything newer than '98
Old 01-11-2011   #13
[SS]Grifter
Infidel

Dammit.

Try this....

1) Right click the language bar at the right of your taskbar and select
settings. (Or go to Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Keyboards
and Languages tab > click Change Keyboards).

2) In this Text Services and Input Languages menu select the Advanced Key
Settings tab. There you select Change Key Sequence.

3) You will see a new menu where you can select which keys respond to
switching the input language or keyboard layout. Chances are one of them is
set to grave accent. Choose an other option there and your tidle key will
respond as it should.

Old 01-11-2011   #14
[SS]Midnight
Lima Oscar Lima!

Maybe you have been mashing that key down too much so it only works when you push down for awhile.

Replace the keyboard. I did it after I spilled grape soda all up in my keyboard. Should not be too difficult to do.

"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood! NOBODY!" -- White Goodman
[SS]Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011   #15
[SSr]LouSaynis

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SS]Midnight View Post
Maybe you have been mashing that key down too much so it only works when you push down for awhile.

Replace the keyboard. I did it after I spilled grape soda all up in my keyboard. Should not be too difficult to do.
No mashing, and it would probably be both and difficult and expensive to replace it. It's nothing to do with the physical keyboard. It's something on the inside.

Quote:
Dammit.

Try this....

1) Right click the language bar at the right of your taskbar and select
settings. (Or go to Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Keyboards
and Languages tab > click Change Keyboards).

2) In this Text Services and Input Languages menu select the Advanced Key
Settings tab. There you select Change Key Sequence.

3) You will see a new menu where you can select which keys respond to
switching the input language or keyboard layout. Chances are one of them is
set to grave accent. Choose an other option there and your tidle key will
respond as it should.
[deleted]
EDIT: HOLY SHIT!
Thanks Grif!

Last edited by [SSr]LouSaynis : 01-11-2011 at 06:45 PM.