Go Back   [SS] Forums > Public Forums > Chief's Warehouse
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-12-2014   #46
[SS]CJ

Fact of the day: Shirley Temple's favorite drink was jack and coke. Common knowledge among Marine Security Guards.

[SS]CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014   #47
[SS]Chief
Brew Master

What, you mean she didn’t love a ‘Shirley Temple’? That’s just crazy talk there....

"Give a man a beer, he'll waste an afternoon. But teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime!"
[SS]Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #48
[SS]Skinman
Hulk Smash Tiny XBox!

'Waltons' actor Ralph Waite dies at age 85

By Topher Gauk-Roger and Greg Botelho, CNN
updated 11:57 AM EST, Sun February 16, 2014

'Waltons' actor Ralph Waite dies at 85

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Ralph Waite dies at his Palm Desert, California, home, two sources say
  • He was a veteran Hollywood actor, having appeared in many movies and TV series
  • He was best known as John Walton Sr. on the hit show "The Waltons"
  • Waite worked well into his 80s on shows like "Bones" and "NCIS"

(CNN) -- Veteran character actor Ralph Waite -- who many knew best from his time on "The Waltons," though he also had regular roles in more recent series like "Bones" and "NCIS" -- has died.
He was 85.
Waite died on Thursday afternoon at his Palm Desert, California, home, according to Steve Gordon, his family accountant. Jane Mead, a representative of the Spirit of the Desert Presbyterian Fellowship that Waite attended regularly, confirmed his death.
According to IMDB.com, Waite was already a Hollywood veteran with parts in movies like "Cool Hand Luke" and "Five Easy Pieces," plus TV series such as "Bonanza" when he landed the role of John Walton Sr.

"The Waltons" struck a chord with many viewers during its run from 1972 to 1981, with Waite being a constant on that show as well as in several TV movies to follow.
Waite was twice nominated for an Emmy, first in 1977 for supporting actor in a comedy or drama series for "Roots" and the next year as lead actor in a drama for his Waltons' role.
Waite also tried his hand at politics, running unsuccessfully as a Democrat for a U.S. representative seat that includes Palm Springs -- narrowly losing in 1990 and again in 1998 to Mary Bono, the widow of former congressman and "Sonny and Cher" star Sonny Bono.
These forays didn't stop Waite from continuing his day job, however.
He continued to score regular roles, for instance, on TV shows like "The Mississippi," "Murder One," "Carnivale," "The Practice" and "Grey's Anatomy."
In fact, Waite was busy working right through last year playing recurring characters on not only "Bones" and "NCIS" but also "Days of Our Lives."
Stephan Nathan, "Bones" executive producer, remembered Waites as "a wonderful man."
"A big loss," Nathan tweeted. "RIP."
Pauley Perrette, part of the "NCIS" cast, also tweeted condolences for the man she referred to as Papa Gibbs.
"We love him at NCIS SO much," Perrette said. "So so sad."

Holy crip it's a crapple!
[SS]Skinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #49
[SS]Wally
‘The Umbrella Man’

Harold Ramis, 'Ghostbusters' star, dies at 69

Comedy legend Harold Ramis, best known for his role in the hit “Ghostbusters” films, has died. He was 69.

Ramis suffered from autoimmune inflammatory vasculitis, a disease that causes swelling in the blood vessels, and died from complications of the illness surrounded by his family.

"His creativity, compassion, intelligence, humor and spirit will be missed by all who knew and loved him," his agent said in a written statement.

"Ghostbusters co-star Dan Aykroyd went on Facebook to give his condolences.

Ramis' Hollywood breakthrough came in 1978 when he co-wrote the blockbuster comedy "National Lampoon's Animal House." He went on to co-write "Stripes" (1981), "Ghostbusters" (1984) and "Ghostbusters II" (1989), films in which he also co-starred.

Ramis co-wrote and made his directorial debut with "Caddyshack" (1980), followed by "National Lampoon's Vacation" (1983).

He most recently directed episodes of “The Office.”

Among his professional honors and awards, Ramis was the recipient of the American Comedy Award, the British Comedy Award, and the BAFTA (British Academy) award for screenwriting.

Ramis is survived by his wife, Erica Mann Ramis, and children Violet Stiel, Julian and Daniel Ramis. He also has two grandchildren.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ramis.jpg (7.1 KB, 71 views)

"Guns don't kill people, lasers do." - Wally
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders". - Ted Nugent
Born On Date: 1-30-2007
[SS]Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014   #50
DatGuy

RIP Egon

DatGuy "doubts my connections".
DatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014   #51
DatGuy

surprised you guys missed this one

http://time.com/17960/band-of-brothe...guarnere-dies/

Old 03-15-2014   #52
[SS]Wally
‘The Umbrella Man’

I saw that DG, just busy here. Amazing how much his Hollywood character resembled him.

Old 03-15-2014   #53
DatGuy

its amazing how everyone in the show looked similar to their roles.

Old 04-07-2014   #54
[SS]Wally
‘The Umbrella Man’

Actor Mickey Rooney dies at 93

Entertainment legend Mickey Rooney, who bounced on stage before he was two and rarely left the spotlight for the next nine decades, first winning fame as the teenage Andy Hardy and then going on to appear in over 100 films, along with stints on television and in the theater, died Sunday at the age of 93.

Los Angeles Police Commander Andrew Smith told the Associated Press that Rooney died at his home in North Hollywood, Calif. in the company of his family. Smith said police took a death report, but indicated that there was nothing suspicious and said it was not a police case. Smith had no additional details on the circumstances of Rooney's death.

Rooney was the consummate performer. "I've always enjoyed the lights of the theater," he wrote in his autobiography "Life is Too Short." "No wonder that even now, when I open a refrigerator door, I feel like performing."

Along the way, the diminutive Rooney also made headlines for marrying eight wives, including sultry actress Ava Gardner. "Always get married early in the morning," he once quipped. "That way, if it doesn't work out, you haven't wasted a whole day."

But when he died, Rooney had been married for 35 years to his last wife, Jan Chamberlin, who survives him. He also is survived by eight children – a ninth died in 2006.

Rooney was the last surviving big male star from the 1930s and one of the very few actors left who had gone from silent movies to 21st century films.

Even when he wasn't acting, in his later years, he was still in the spotlight. In March 2011, the then-90-year-old Rooney testified before the Senate Special Committee on Aging on the issue of elder abuse in America, saying he had been financially abused by an unnamed family member.

Born Joseph Yule Jr. on September 23, 1920 to vaudeville actors, Rooney crawled onstage at 14 months, a little harmonica around his neck, and his father scooped him up and introduced him to the audience as Sonny Yule. By 17 months he was part of his parents' routine in a specially tailored tux.

By 14, he had changed his name to Mickey Rooney and signed with MGM Studios; three years later he landed the role of Andy Hardy in the 14-film series that brought him fame and an abiding friendship with Judy Garland.

"Judy and I were so close we could've come from the same womb," he once said. "…There was no love affair there, there was more than a love affair…It was a forever love."

His breakthrough role as a dramatic actor came in 1938's "Boys Town" opposite Spencer Tracy and in 1939, 1940 and 1941, he was the world's biggest box-office draw.

Among his other well-known films were "National Velvet," "Breakfast at Tiffany's," "Requiem for a Heavyweight," "The Black Stallion" and "Night at the Museum."

He also played multiple television roles, appearing as everyone from a mentally challenged man in "Bill" to retired racehorse trainer Henry Dailey in "The Adventures of the Black Stallion" and appeared as well in the stage play "Sugar Babies."

In addition, he did a variety of voices for film and television characters, appeared in documentaries and even went on tour with wife Jan in a multi-media live stage production called "Let's Put on a Show!"

Rooney won two Academy Awards (a 1939 juvenile award and a 1983 Honorary Award), an Emmy and two Golden Globes.

"I don't regret anything I've ever done," he once said. "I only wish I could have done more."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0.jpg (18.3 KB, 40 views)

Old 04-08-2014   #55
[SS]Showstoper
XO of Recruit Instruction

Harvey Korman died also. I know you're the one who takes care of this thread Wally. Also, somebody named Peaches Geldof died. I don't know who that was. And Undertaker's streak got broken last night by Brock Lesnar. So I guess you could put that in the RIP thread.

I WILL LEAD BY EXAMPLE, NEVER REQUIRING A RECRUIT TO ATTEMPT ANY TASK I WOULD NOT DO MYSELF.
[SS]Showstoper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015   #56
[SS]Midnight
Lima Oscar Lima!

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Leonard Nimoy dead at 83: Iconic ‘Star Trek’ star was a beloved by sci-fi fans worldwide
BY DAVID HINCKLEY NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Friday, February 27, 2015, 12:18 PM A A A

Actor Leonard Nimoy poses for a portrait in Beverly Hills, Calif. in 2009.
MATT SAYLES/AP
Actor Leonard Nimoy poses for a portrait in Beverly Hills, Calif. in 2009.
Leonard Nimoy, who lived long and prospered, died Friday at his Los Angeles home.

The creator of Mr. Spock, television’s most beloved pointy-eared half-Vulcan, was 83 and had suffered for several years from chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD), which makes it difficult to breathe.

“I quit smoking 30 yrs ago,” he tweeted last week. “Not soon enough. I have COPD. Grandpa says, quit now!! LLAP.”

“LLAP” was Spock’s best-known catch phrase: Live long and prosper.

To many of his fans, Leonard Nimoy was a one-hit wonder.

One hit that lasted half a century.

Nimoy created the beloved Mr. Spock in the 1960s cult TV show “Star Trek” and brought him back to life in movies, sequels, cartoons and spinoffs for the rest of his life.

Nimoy did not always have an easy time with Spock. He revealed in later years that he became an alcoholic during the original “Star Trek” run.

But through eight subsequent feature films, a few spoofs and many weekends adoring fans at “Star Trek”convention, Nimoy came to embrace the cool, calm half-Vulcan with the memorably pointed ears.

For editorial use only. Any commercial or promotional use of CBS content requires CBS's prior written consent - contact your local office for assistance.
CBS PHOTO ARCHIVE/GETTY IMAGES
Actor Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock and actor William Shatner as Captain James T. Kirk in 'Star Trek.'
He wrote poetry, he directed films, he recorded five albumsnjoy and appreciate the ultra-calm Vulcan , Unlike some other performers who become permanently Nimoy became so closely associated with Mr. Spock that he often said their lives became intermingled in both the public mind and his own.

He said in later years that while he was playing Spock in the cult “Star Trek” TV series from 1966 to 1969, he found himself retaining Spock’s personality well into the weekend after filming ended on Fridays..

He explained that Spock was more calm, rational and even-tempered than Nimoy himself — and that it often wasn’t until Sunday afternoon that Nimoy’s own instincts had fully kicked back in.

His two autobiographies, in 1975 and 1995, were titled. “I Am Not Spock” and “I Am Spock.”

“Star Trek,” a 23rd century science fiction adventure set aboard starship Enterprise, rarely scored more than modest ratings, but became an enduring cultural touchstone even outside the sci-fi community.

Spock was the partner of Enterprise Captain James T. Kirk, played by William Shatner — with whom Nimoy became lifelong friends.,

The show was influential both for its special effects, primitive as they look today, and its bold statements on social issues from interracial relationships to feminism and imperialism.

Nimoy was equally known, and endlessly caricatured over the years, for Spock’s distinctive pointed ears. They were a product of his Vulcan heritage, which also enabled him to disable people with his “Famous Vulcan Neck Pinch” and read their minds with his “Vulcan Mind Meld.”

"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood! NOBODY!" -- White Goodman
[SS]Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015   #57
[SS]Wally
‘The Umbrella Man’

So sad to hear this. What a major loss.

Old 03-24-2015   #58
[SS]Wally
‘The Umbrella Man’

Leonard Nimoy ✔ @TheRealNimoy
Follow
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
1:36 AM - 23 Feb 2015
280,876 RETWEETS 202,699 FAVORITES ReplyRetweet