Go Back   [SS] Forums > Public Forums > Game Chat
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-29-2011   #436
DatGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SS]Rator View Post
ive talked to at least two devs that have told me that its not worth it. its not a debate on whats better, its what makes you the most cash, and pcs are not currently doing that.
well I guess you weren't talking to Valve...HA. The thing is, companies have to actually do something for the PC version. If they are given a console port with no features for the PC platform, of course they aren't going to make money.

When you look at Valve, they look at PC gaming as a service instead of as a closed product platform. If you provide your customers with something worthwhile, they will pay for it. If you provide them with shit that has no functionality because it was designed for a closed platform, you will lose money.

Developers always complain about PCs and how they lose money. Well, maybe if you gave your PC consumers something they want, instead of ports. You would make money.

DatGuy "doubts my connections".
DatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011   #437
[SS]Rator
Sea Snipers® Owner/Leader

Yea but DG, go look at the numbers for BF3 PC and console. I'm assuming you think that BF3 has given "PC consumers something they want, instead of ports". (they did make it for pc then port it to console btw)

The PC only sold like 500k while the 2 consoles combined sold 3.7m. Those are big numbers. Would YOU waste development on something that only made you 1/7th of your total revenue?

I'm gonna ask you questions, and every time you don't give me answers, I'm gonna cut something off. And I promise you...
they will be things you will miss!
[SS]Rator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011   #438
DatGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SS]Rator View Post
Yea but DG, go look at the numbers for BF3 PC and console. I'm assuming you think that BF3 has given "PC consumers something they want, instead of ports". (they did make it for pc then port it to console btw)

The PC only sold like 500k while the 2 consoles combined sold 3.7m. Those are big numbers. Would YOU waste development on something that only made you 1/7th of your total revenue?
BF3 is also a special case, as the PC version requires a pretty good PC to play it well.

PC is where the innovation happens as well. Do you think if no one made games for PC you would see a technical marvel like BF3 being released? or new engines being developed and perfected when the consoles can't even come close to handling what it produces?

PC has its place, and is not going anywhere. And thats the bottom line.

Old 12-29-2011   #439
[SS]Rator
Sea Snipers® Owner/Leader

lol, but its NOT the bottom line!

If the console cant handle it, they're going to lose money. THAT is the bottom line.

You know it's true. It's not something I want to see happen, it just IS happening. Numbers are numbers and that's all the publishers see. Publishers dont care about gamers, devs do. And devs do what the publishers say, or they dont get the funding and get their IP shovelled off to a 3rd tier dev.

No ones saying that PC games aren't beautiful and cant do more things, but the market demands console versions because of the cash they can make off them. When they see their console versions making 7 TIMES MORE than their PC versions, what would YOU spend your time working on?

I'm gonna ask you questions, and every time you don't give me answers, I'm gonna cut something off. And I promise you...
they will be things you will miss!
[SS]Rator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011   #440
[SS]Grifter
Infidel

I read an article (I think it was on VGChartz) that MW3 made up only 4% of the total sales the first week of release on the PC combined with the Wii.

4%.

Xbox 360 made up 54% and the PS3 had 42%.

Those are big numbers. Yes, you can say, "Well 4% is still 400,000+ people". And you'd be right. But consider that Modern Warfare 3 was up 33% over Black Ops first day sales, and up 55% over Modern Warfare 2 first day sales, while the PC versions dropped in percentage.

So ask yourself, if you were a developer, in the 2 years time it takes for another game to come out, with the percentage of sales increasing on both the PS3 and the Xbox 360, and the decrease in sales of the PC versions of your game - what incentive do you have to continue making a game for the PC platform?

Like Rator stated, I'm not happy about it either - but this is where it has progressed. The next gen consoles are expected to land in the next 2-4 years (2014 and after). You can be sure that they're going to upgrade their processors, memory and graphic cards for those machines. I'd be willing to bet that they can get them good enough to even equal or just surpass the mid range PC gaming rigs. With the advancement of technology, you can bet on it. Hopefully, developers will then be able to add in more things that would please the PC crowd in getting them to switch over to the consoles. Because trying to get console gamers to switch over to the PC is just not going to happen. That war is already lost.

“Weapons down or I will not be responsible for what comes next.” - Captain America

Last edited by [SS]Grifter : 12-29-2011 at 06:11 PM.
[SS]Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011   #441
DatGuy

well for the example of MW3, there was no extra dev time...they used the XBOX version and added a server browser. That is a prime example of something NOT TO BUY for PC.

Another point of interest is RTS titles, which just DO NOT work on console, and are insanely huge on PC. Starcraft is enormous, garners millions in add revenue from the pro circuit. An sold 3.3 million copies. Company of heroes is another one that would never work on console but sells millions on PC.

companies like Blizzard and Valve are doing PC right and make lots of money doing it. Just because some companies don't understand why they are failing at PC gaming, doesn't mean PC gaming is failing.

Old 12-29-2011   #442
DatGuy

1 more tidbit...alot of the sales numbers you guys are throwing around only apply to brick and mortar stores and exclude digital distribution channels(which is where most PC games are bought)

Old 12-29-2011   #443
[SS]Chief
Brew Master

I love how you guys hijacked the thread?!

I’ll attempt to get us back on track.....interesting..

"Give a man a beer, he'll waste an afternoon. But teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime!"
[SS]Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011   #444
DatGuy

MW3 tip...boot up the game and sit there...it plays for you

Old 12-29-2011   #445
[SS]Chief
Brew Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatGuy View Post
MW3 tip...boot up the game and sit there...it plays for you
I know right....it’s strange me posting that in a MW3 thread?

"Give a man a beer, he'll waste an afternoon. But teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime!"
Old 12-31-2011   #446
[SS]Chief
Brew Master

Roll call...

Old 01-01-2012   #447
[SS]Grifter
Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SS]Chief View Post
I love how you guys hijacked the thread?!

I’ll attempt to get us back on track.....interesting..

If I remember right, didn't people discover this way back in SOCOM III? I remember people were running along the wall and jumping because it was moving them faster than if you were running normally....

I also remember that it got so out of hand, that it was eventually patched.

I think where this guy is at in MW3 is probably the only map that has a wall that long with no obstruction around it. I don't see this being such a big deal - as where he's at on that map, and running along that wall, is useless.

“Weapons down or I will not be responsible for what comes next.” - Captain America

Last edited by [SS]Grifter : 01-01-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2012   #448
DatGuy

that was socom 2 Grif, I remember seeing a line of people in crossroads bouncing down along the wall.

But in SOCOM you went much much faster...lol

Old 01-02-2012   #449
Rush
Goonies Never Say Die!

Thanks for the posts Chief!! Way to keep this thread .... Civilized?? and Informative!
Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #450
[SS]Grifter
Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatGuy View Post
that was socom 2 Grif, I remember seeing a line of people in crossroads bouncing down along the wall.

But in SOCOM you went much much faster...lol
Yeaup - that was it....feels like a hundred years since I played that game....lol