Go Back   [SS] Forums > Public Forums > General Conversation
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-12-2005   #1
[SS]Chief
Brew Master

Is this just for Cell phones?

I read the article...and I don't know if it is for just cell phones or not?

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/622/622741p1.html

SOCOM: US Navy SEALs Mobile Recon
JAMDAT wants you (and your cellphone) to enlist for some serious combat action this fall.
by IGN Wireless
June 6, 2005 - Welcome to the Navy, son.

JAMDAT has teamed with developer Iron Monkey to produce a mobile companion to Sony's upcoming SOCOM 3: U.S. Navy SEALs. According to JAMDAT, who gave us a good little preview of the game last week at BREW 2005, Sony will have its eye on the project during the dev cycle. Considering the success Sony's had with the series and the quality that comes with the JAMDAT name, prospects are already good for the game.

SOCOM: US Navy SEALs Mobile Recon puts you in charge of a two man team, each soldier capable of taking orders. You must actually control each man separately to get tasks done, kind of like Mario & Luigi on steroids. And with big guns. To issue orders, you select a SEAL and then place a cursor on their next task. Using a context-sensitive system of commands, the game will somewhat take care of the rest. You just need to keep in mind that you must use the men in conjunction to get things done -- and done right. For example, one man may lay down a thick hail of suppression fire while the other approaches a doorway.

Being based on the console edition of SOCOM: US Navy SEALs Mobile Recon, there will be no shortage of action. Guard dogs under the control of terrorists will roam environments, nasty agents will search the alleys for you, as well as a number of other enemies. Engaging in direct combat is not always the best approach. Sometimes you are better off living to fight another day, and you can use shadows and cover for hiding.

Having played the first two SOCOM games and seeing the third in action, it's impressive to see how JAMDAT's take fits alongside the console games. While not a direct replacement, it looks like the game will be a good companion piece -- not unlike the mobile maker's Tony Hawk series of games. The wireless version includes a lot of tactics and situations found in the console games, so the link is definitely there, though.

JAMDAT showed us SOCOM: US Navy SEALs Mobile Recon on a sweet Sony handset that really emphasized the visual flair in the game. Environmental objects reacted to real-world influences, such as trees that bowed with the wind. The starring SEAL sprites were also quite good and seemed to feature some solid animation. The detail is astounding, but not overwhelming when you also consider the amount of info that game also offers the player. With real estate in short supply, you risk overloading the screen with HUD widgets, but SOCOM: US Navy SEALs Mobile Recon looks remarkably clean, even in such an early state. Environmental objects reacted to real-world influences, such as trees that bowed with the wind.

JAMDAT says SOCOM: US Navy SEALs Mobile Recon is screaming toward a fall release, so we'll check in again when we have screens of the game for an updated preview.

"Give a man a beer, he'll waste an afternoon. But teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime!"
[SS]Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005   #2
LuNcH

It seems that way to me..My first ? is why.It willl not only be on the ps2 but also the psp, so why go cellphone?I dont think that no matter what they do the gaming experiance that you have and will have on the psp and ps2 isnt going to even come close,not to mention the fact that the controls will be complicated on a cell phone.For me as much as i love socom this is definitly going a little to far.I think alot of this has to do with the fact that from my understanding at e-3 there was a lot of cell phone companies pushing games.

LuNcH is offline   Reply With Quote