View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011   #11
[SS]Chief
Brew Master

Well part of the Cloud is here!! There was an update to my Apple TV and you can now see your purchases. Meaning stuff I've 'ever' bought on iTunes for TV shows is NOW available anytime....pretty freaking sweet since I dumped a bunch because of room on my hard drive.

Quote:
Apple on Monday updated its Apple TV set-top-box, adding the ability to purchase TV shows from iTunes and stream shows that have already been purchased, and also adding the ability to re-download TV shows through iTunes [updated].

Users can download and install the update directly from their latest-generation Apple TV. New features of the update, according to Apple, are:
iTunes TV Shows: Purchase your favorite TV shows directly from the iTunes Store, and watch the shows you already own, commercial-free in HD.
Vimeo: Browse and play videos from Vimeo, access your video inbox, and mark videos you want to watch later.

Update: In addition, users can also re-download TV shows via Apple's iCloud service through the iTunes desktop software, or iTunes on iOS devices. A new "TV Shows" section shows up as a tab in the "Purchased" section of the iTunes Store.

Released in 2010, the new Apple TV represented a shift for the company, as it pushed studios to allow 99 cent rentals of TV shows, rather than costlier permanent purchases. But some studios have been reluctant to participate, calling Apple's 99-cent model too inexpensive.

Apple's latest update would seem to circumvent those issues, allowing users to watch shows they already own and buy new content. It's also a departure from the rental-only approach first attempted with the new Apple TV.
I haven't used Vimeo yet, but I'm on it. I have to say...I'm one step away from dumping Cable TV. With Netflix and the ability to read news online...the next step will be sports like they have MLB on Apple. I mean Direct TV has an Apple App already for NFL Sports Ticket. So who knows....perhaps it will come to Apple TV?

"Give a man a beer, he'll waste an afternoon. But teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime!"
[SS]Chief is offline   Reply With Quote