Thread: Apple & Windows
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011   #1
[SS]Grifter
Infidel

Apple & Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SS]Bassani View Post
I can get twice the PC for the cost of a Mac, just sayin...
Just made a different topic on this so as to 1) not hijack some one elses topic and 2) allow an open, respectable, unheated discussion regarding hardware and software for these systems.

So let's remember that this is coming from someone that has used Windows primarily my whole life with work, school and at home....

In regards to the above comment, you get what you pay for when you walk into a store and purchase a Dell (example) or a Mac. If you were to take the processing power from the high end iMac and equate it to what it would take for a Windows PC, they're nearly identical in price in every regard. You can't take a $700 windows computer and compare it to a $1,500 Apple iMac just based on cost alone. If you actually do some research, you'll see that the components are vastly different. You'll find less actual processing power in the $700 Windows computer. Macs laptops are typically running higher end processors than their Windows counterparts...Also, the cases of the laptops are aluminum as opposed to plastic, the Mac laptops are typically lighter and thinner and the battery life is longer lasting. A lot of people see the dollar sign and think, "why do I get that? It's $1,000 more..." Of course, because you're now comparing that $700 Yugo to a $1,500 Viper. Both have 4 wheels and move, one will just get you to your destination faster.

I can run Windows OS on my Mac OS successfully, no errors, running it virtual. Very little hassle and install time. However, it's much more difficult to run the Mac OS on Windows OS - don't get me wrong, it can be done...but there are a ton more steps involved in doing it and it's a true pain in the freakin ass.

Macs get viruses as well. The only reason that it's so commonplace in a Windows environment, in because roughly 80% of home users (guesstimate) are using windows, hence the bigger target on the back. Why aim for a flea when you can target the whole side of the barn and get a direct hit? You can be armed to the teeth with antivirus and antispyware using Windows...Where I can pretty much work at ease without any spyware at all on my Mac and probably not ever see a hint of a problem of being the target of a virus attack on my system.

Apple has better overall customer service - hands down, bar none.....It's better than Dell, better than HP, better than Sony, etc. It just is. If I have a problem, I can walk into the Apple store, they can scan the device and look up the history - instantly. There's no waiting on hold for 20-30 minutes and no technician walking me through a reboot of my PC, my router, my cable modem, etc. They just fix it.

In short....comparing Windows OS to the Mac OS is like comparing a stick shift to an automatic - respectively. One takes you many steps - one just does it on it's own. But to each their own...not everyone is comfortable with owning or using a Mac (or owning both for that matter). Sometimes they just buy the software or hardware because they have blinders on and that's all they see or know without really understanding what they're getting and getting to know what else is out there.

From a personal standpoint, I find the Mac much easier to use. It's simple and straight forward. Again, like I said earlier - I have used Windows primarily my entire life with work, school and home and having been using both my Windows computer and my Mac, I find the Mac easier, faster and a hell of a lot more user friendly.

“Weapons down or I will not be responsible for what comes next.” - Captain America
[SS]Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote