View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012   #4
Tagger

I think it's a good idea - teaching kids how to use firearms responsibly in a controlled environment. A few years ago when I lived in the country, one of the neighbor's kids came over and somehow we got to talking about guns. I forget what we were discussing specifically now. But, the gist of it is he clearly did not understand the destructive power of a 12GA shotgun.

I own a Mossberg 500. He thought it looked really cool with the pistol grip and was begging to shoot it. Once I showed him what it could do to a milk jug at 20 yards firing buckshot, he lost his enthusiasm and grew a respectful fear of the potential in the weapon. That is a good thing in a young boy or girl.

I bet most kids who hurt themselves or others (accidentaly) never knew the real power of a firearm before their fatal mistake. Educating them properly can help reduce the chances of an accidental killing. Let's face it, kids are always going to have access to weapons if they are kept in the house and not in a safe.

At the least, teaching them some responsibility is better than not doing it and wishing for the best.

Galatians 2:20
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote