PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

Tagger
08-15-2003, 08:56 PM
Received this alert from Dell about firewalls. Can someone tell me if setting up a firewall will cause a problem with my SOCOM connection? I don't want to do this to find out I've created a SOCOM problem:

"Enable Internet Connection Firewall

Enable the Internet Connection Firewall by following these steps:

NOTE: If you use MSN or AOL you may not have the option to enable the Internet Connection Firewall.

Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.
The Control Panel window appears.

Click Network and Internet Connections.
If you do not have this option, skip to the next step.

Double-click Network Connections.

Right-click the connection that you use for the Internet, and then click Properties.

Click the Advanced tab.

Click to check the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.

Click OK.

When the connection is re-activated the Internet Connection Firewall will prevent unauthorized external Internet connections."

Thanks

[SS]SportoFu
08-15-2003, 09:08 PM
I don't know much about computers.....but it sounds like that would put a firewall up inside your PC, thus not affecting your PS2. I have a linksys 4 port router which I run a PC, laptop, and PS2 off of. It has a built in firewall and sometimes blocks out my internet and I have to reboot it, but that rarely happens. I really have no problems with the firewall.
Not sure if this helps at all.......I'll just leave now. heh.

Tagger
08-15-2003, 09:38 PM
Thanks fellas. I'm also running a Linksys 4-port.

I'll proceed then.

[SS]SportoFu
08-15-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by [SS]SportoFu
I don't know much about computers.....but it sounds like that would put a firewall up inside your PC, thus not affecting your PS2.

IIII am so smart....... S M R T. (Homer Simpson, like you didn't know) lol.

[SS]Arkangel
08-15-2003, 10:24 PM
I have a similar set-up...the only thing that bothers me about the firewall is that I can't direct connect with AIM, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

JESS7
08-16-2003, 12:14 PM
That is THE BEST MOVIE! I love it! Top Gun and Dirty Dancing are probably the two best movies ever made...just my opinion!

[SS]Snakebite
08-16-2003, 01:46 PM
Dirty Dancing http://www.seasnipers.net/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif

Top Gun http://www.seasnipers.net/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

My personal fav is Braveheart. Sorry didn't mean to change the subject.

Tagger, I have a firewall installed on both computers and I seem to be having lag free games most all the time. Here lately it lags some on late nights, not sure why.

=LS= Muad'dib
08-22-2003, 12:46 PM
yea the only thing that firewall will do is make P2P connections harder to establish.
i know i can't connect to friends on aim to send files or anything...but havn't noticed a problem on anyother programs.

your PS2 will be fine....shouldn't have any problems.

also i think i just passed you in rank on socom...i saw your name when i was scrolling who was ahead of me...and then i went back to playing, and then server went to sleep...and i havn't gone back to check.

[SS]Cuervo
08-22-2003, 01:47 PM
as long as the firewall is in the PC.. no issues.. if it was a firewall on your router.. then you may run into problems doing voice over IP (like me all of a sudden)

=LS= Muad'dib
08-22-2003, 02:56 PM
yea i've read that alot of routers out there...arn't made for VoIP. so thats something you need to check for when you buy your router.