PDA

View Full Version : Last flight of the Concorde...not a post booster...

[SS]Arkangel
11-18-2003, 08:29 PM
I got to see it take off from the comfort of my desk at JFK for it's last ride. Here are some pics...

[SS]Arkangel
11-18-2003, 08:30 PM
another....

[SS]Arkangel
11-18-2003, 08:30 PM

[SS]Arkangel
11-18-2003, 08:31 PM
My fave....

[SS]Arkangel
11-18-2003, 08:32 PM

[SS]Steve-O
11-18-2003, 11:26 PM
what are those smaller plans?

[SS]Arkangel
11-19-2003, 12:57 AM
I dunno....I'm not sure if it's American or English planes.

=D//R=SkyHawk
11-19-2003, 02:02 AM
Why is it the last flight?

[SS]CJ
11-19-2003, 06:27 AM
Too expensive to maintain, fuel costs, really old planes, etc. Oh yeah, most people are opting for the economical flights nowadays.

Virus
11-19-2003, 09:13 AM
Thanks Arkangel those are some cool pics.. :D

[SS]Dr.Who
11-19-2003, 10:04 AM
So Ark....how did you manage all those pics (not to mention the angles) all "from the comfort of your desk" LOL cool pics bro, where did they come from?

Has any one ever flown on one? I had a friend who did $1800 one way for an emergency flight home to UK. When I was in the military, his wife was delivering baby w/major complications........... worked out well eventually but bit scary during though. Somthing like 3 hours from New York to London??????????

[SS]ProXimo
11-19-2003, 10:50 AM
Those are cool pics. Man, I did not know they where going to retire the planes. That's too bad. I know the US AirForce is working with NASA on a low atmosphere flying plane that can take off in California and land in New York City in 30 minutes.

Won't that be awesome if they commercialized them.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHAHHHHH. We are there.

heh.

[SS]Dr.Who
11-19-2003, 11:23 AM
ProX, I believe the "planes" you are refering to are actually supposed to "skip" along on the outer atmosphere. They are for gas savings and able to travel far fast because the get out of the inner atmosphere into lower space levels. No resistance in space so there is nothing to slow you down. 17000 miles per hour, it takes the shuttle less than 45 minutes to make a full rotation around the EARTH.

Here is an exerpt from the NASA Site on how a launch feels.......What does a space shuttle launch feel like?

"It is a very exciting, noisy, shaky ride for the first two minutes. Then the solid rocket boosters drop off and it gets a lot smoother, but there still is a strong push on the back of the astronauts' seats from all the power in the three main engines. Those three main engines burn fuel at an incredible rate -- approximately 3,785 liters (1,000 gallons) every second. The shuttle goes from standing still on the launch pad to more than 27,359 kilometers per hour (17,000 mph) in just over eight minutes. That means the astronauts go 3,219 kilometers per hour (2,000 mph) faster every minute."

The "space planes" are something I have been following for the last couple of years. If you would like to see some pretty incredible technologies in the aspect of this......... http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/Research/X43/index.html

Also here is a link to one of my many "daily must sees" I visit many times a week....... http://science.nasa.gov/Realtime/jtrack/ look for "J-Track" http://science.nasa.gov/Realtime/jtrack/3d/JTrack3D.html

You can see all "unclassified" satellites and weather systems and locations and tracks of more than 2000 satellites rotating around the earth. If this stuff interests you , then you will really enjoy the NASA site. I always watch the launches on NASA TV. They now (at least did before the last disaster stopped the program) show the launches on live tv...... I rambled enough, but space is an awesome thing, for me it is pretty inspiring...............

[SS]ProXimo
11-19-2003, 11:56 AM
Hey doc, That's the plane I was talking about. I had an article on it, but did not want to dig through my Archives to find it.

Pretty cool stuff.

Now, How about the Space Elevator. Have you been following that. It's awesome. An elevator that can take you to space.

[SS]Frost
11-19-2003, 06:44 PM
Teleporting would be nice now days. New York to Japan in 2 seconds. To bad they have not found a way to do it yet.

It will have to be very precise remember what happened in the movie the fly. You don't want to teleport with a roach or something else and fuse with it.

Oh by the way those are some great pics Ark

[SS]Arkangel
11-19-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by [SS]Dr.Who
So Ark....how did you manage all those pics (not to mention the angles) all "from the comfort of your desk" LOL cool pics bro, where did they come from?

Has any one ever flown on one? I had a friend who did $1800 one way for an emergency flight home to UK. When I was in the military, his wife was delivering baby w/major complications........... worked out well eventually but bit scary during though. Somthing like 3 hours from New York to London??????????

I was on it when it was on the ground. I see a lot of shit from my desk. We had Air Force 1 out there a few months ago.

October 24th was the final flight. 1 is going to the Intrepid in NYC and the other is in England still.

[SS]Arkangel
11-19-2003, 08:08 PM
Oh yea...3 hours is possible at just under 1300mph...ridiculous.

Because the Earth rotates at 910mph, from the cockpit you can see the curvature of the Earth....incredible.

I saw the sunrise from 33,000 feet from the cockpit of an MD-11 freighter on my way to Germany....also another beautiful sight.

[SS]Dr.Who
11-19-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by [SS]ProXimo
Hey doc, That's the plane I was talking about. I had an article on it, but did not want to dig through my Archives to find it.

Pretty cool stuff.

Now, How about the Space Elevator. Have you been following that. It's awesome. An elevator that can take you to space.

Isnt that the concept that "tethers" a line from EARTH to the Space Station? PPretty assinine if you ask me. The the "elevators" travel the tethers.. ha ha ha ha what a bs job that woiuld be

[SS]ProXimo
11-20-2003, 10:48 AM
Yup, It's like a long pole connected from a station that orbits the earth and is anchored to a platform on the ocean.

CRAZY Man.