PDA

View Full Version : Company of Heroes

Tagger
01-23-2007, 11:40 AM
Has anyone tried this game out? A friend at work just bought it and is in love with it. I'm thinking about checking it out.

Here's the website http://www.companyofheroesgame.com

If anyone has any experience with the game, please post.

Chenzo
01-23-2007, 12:16 PM
heh, yeah...

it's farking brilliant.

I've been playing it slowly (2142 has got me hooked a little too much.)

But I just finished the "Destroy the V2 Rocket Facility" mission and now I'm on "Hill 809" or whatever.

it IS beautiful, tho... here, let me break the Hscroll.)

http://www.companyofheroesgame.com/images/screens/large/img_20.jpg
http://www.companyofheroesgame.com/images/screens/large/img_19.jpg

nice to see there's another RTS fan here.

Tagger
01-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm seriously considering adding this one to my RTS collection. Ever since highschool, I've been interested in anything WWII.

I use to play Squad Leader on those fold out mapboards with the little chits. I loved that stuff.

Now, it's only a question of my graphics card. I'm currently running a 1.8AMD (forgot the buss speed) processor. But, it's better than most Pentiums in that range I think. I've got 2G RAM. I'm burning up all my spouse-credits really early in the year already. I hope I don't have to upgrade the PC for this, lol.

Chenzo
01-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Tagger
Thanks for the feedback. I'm seriously considering adding this one to my RTS collection. Ever since highschool, I've been interested in anything WWII.

I use to play Squad Leader on those fold out mapboards with the little chits. I loved that stuff.

Now, it's only a question of my graphics card. I'm currently running a 1.8AMD (forgot the buss speed) processor. But, it's better than most Pentiums in that range I think. I've got 2G RAM. I'm burning up all my spouse-credits really early in the year already. I hope I don't have to upgrade the PC for this, lol.

it DOES demand a bit of juice.

You can zoom in so far and watch the action up close... it's great.

and everything is full of sick detail. Down to the mine flails on the front of the tanks (which you can add, if you need them.)

[SS]Chief
01-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Yes, I played the Demo....just waiting for it here on base. But it is a great game! Worth the money I think.....man, there are just to many games to play.....
bigcry3

Tagger
01-23-2007, 04:51 PM
This has reached a very serious stage......sillysmile

I have no choice now but to follow through on the Whirlpool Quiet III instalation I promised my wife last fall. I checked my account and have found my spouse-credits to be somewhat lacking. bigcry2

Turns out that having a tower system installed just for online gaming is more expensive than my original estimate.

Chenzo
01-23-2007, 05:03 PM
lol

plus there's multiplayer, you know? I'm not a fan of RTS multi, but there's a MASSIVE base of people playing it.

Sabotage
01-23-2007, 07:19 PM
This game is fantastic every aspect of this game is awesome. I am also a C&C fan so I am in to these sort of games and the addition of a WWII touch made it so much better.

PS: The graphics are WICKED! toothysmil

Tagger
01-24-2007, 10:02 AM
I've got Best Buy reward points!!!!! I'm goin' to Best Buy at lunch. No one can stop me now!!!dancingban dancingban dancingban

[SSr]LouSaynis
01-24-2007, 10:39 AM
not even them?
http://massassi.yavin4.com/models/m_star5.jpg

Chenzo
01-24-2007, 10:45 AM
I've got Best Buy reward points!!!!! I'm goin' to Best Buy at lunch. No one can stop me now!!!dancingban dancingban dancingban

LOL.... lemme know when you started playing it.

I gotta get back to it and atleast finish the next mission.

Altho, I hate those 'timed' missions. You only get 55 minutes to take hill somethingsomething.

Tagger
01-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Went to Best Buy at lunch. Strange thing happened.....some guy with a heavy breathing problem tried to bar the door. I stomped a new hole in his arse.

After clearing security, I snagged a copy and paid $5 out of pocket (after using all my rewards coupons).

It's my birthday, got my game, yea!dancingban dancingban dancingban

Chenzo, after getting a few scenarios under my belt, I'll give you a shout for some online action.

Chenzo
01-24-2007, 05:15 PM
heh, ok...

I SUCK at mutli-RTSs but I'll give it a go.

Tagger
01-24-2007, 05:49 PM
If not, cool. I'm really just excited at the prospect of online gaming period - I don't even care if it was a game watching paint dry. Lemme know if you ever wanna give it a go (CoH, not watching paint dry, seriouslyretardsmil ).

Chenzo
01-25-2007, 10:56 AM
SO have you installed and played it?

The first mission was fun, but the SECOND one's where it gets full of awesome.

Tagger
01-25-2007, 11:47 AM
Installed only. Did it last night. The tutorial ran so freaking slow that I shut it down and turned my attention to SCA online instead.

I'm currently running a 2ghz AMD Athlon with 2 gig of ram and a BFG FX GeForce 5500 video card.

Thinking it's a video card issue, I placed an order this morning for a BFG GeForce 7800 video card and threw in an order for a 250 gig hard drive (my 40 gig C drive is nearly full). The new hard drive will be in addition to the C drive and just for media storage.

This will be the last upgrade to this computer before scrapping it to build a new one in maybe another year or so.

I've got a friend in the office who builds computers as a hobby. Based on my description of the problem, he thought I might ought to upgrade the video card. After setting all the video options to the lowest settings, the game still crawled.

Hopefully I'll be playing it some time next week.

Do you think the new card can handle BF2142? I'm interested in getting into the game with the crowd here.

Chenzo
01-25-2007, 12:07 PM
the 7800 will totally run 2142.

ANd I agree with yer friend. Yer CPU and Ram seem up to par. heh...

I told you this game demands a bit of juice.

[SS]Grifter
01-25-2007, 12:46 PM
I just picked this up last night - I've only installed it and run through a couple of the tutorials. Seems a lot like Command and Conquer but with greater graphics. And I liked that series.

Tagger
01-25-2007, 01:35 PM
Haha, juice you say? That reminds me of a converssation between Al Swearenjen and Mr. Wu in Deadwood......

AS: "Does the main have juice, Mr. Wu?"
Wu: "Jews? NO SANFWANCESCO COCKASUCKA!!!"
AS: "No, forget the Jews! I wanna know if he's got juice!"
Wu: "NO SANFWANCESCO COCKASUCKA!!! Wu and Sweegen - NO SANFRANCESCO COCKASUCKA!!!" laffyguy

Maybe I'll have enough juice in a few more days.

Chenzo
01-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by [SS]Grifter
I just picked this up last night - I've only installed it and run through a couple of the tutorials. Seems a lot like Command and Conquer but with greater graphics. And I liked that series.

It's one of the best RTSs I've played to date...

it's on the Dawn of War engine and that game kicked ass...

Tagger
01-26-2007, 11:53 AM
I ended up doing what I was trying to avoid. I just realized this morning that the video card I've ordered requires a lot more power than the 250watt power supply I'm running. Hell, after the new power supply, I'll almost have a new computer. I'll never be able to afford a PS3, lol.

Chenzo
01-26-2007, 12:08 PM
I ended up doing what I was trying to avoid. I just realized this morning that the video card I've ordered requires a lot more power than the 250watt power supply I'm running. Hell, after the new power supply, I'll almost have a new computer. I'll never be able to afford a PS3, lol.

250 watt!? jezus... you need to have DOUBLE that... atleast.

Tagger
01-26-2007, 01:12 PM
LOL! Yea, I'm getting a 650w to replace it, relying on the advice of my buddy in the office. Computer builder I am not, obviously. I just want it to work right when I start mashing buttons.

Tagger
01-30-2007, 11:30 AM
I'll be performing the upgrade tonight - parts arrived yesterday. Friend of mine says CoH is whipping his ass on easy. Can't wait to get into it.

Chenzo
01-30-2007, 12:24 PM
I'll be performing the upgrade tonight - parts arrived yesterday. Friend of mine says CoH is whipping his ass on easy. Can't wait to get into it.

Yeah... I've been getting about a half a mission done a night...

Just finished the one with the facking PANTHERS... damned Nazi's and their indestructible tanks.

[SSr]LouSaynis
01-30-2007, 01:26 PM
lol

at least there is not a Titan in place of each panzer, consider yourself damn lucky there

Tagger
01-31-2007, 09:51 AM
Played some campaign mode last night - lots of fun at a reasonable pace for learning.

Tried the skirmish mode and got pwned in less than 30 minutes. The AI enjoys a big advantage over a human user in that it does not lose track of multiple operations while focusing attention on one or two hotspots on the battlefield. Must learn to multitask better.

Graphics are spectacular. I've still got to tweak my card some. But, last night was such a major improvement over what I was running before.

The 600 watt power supply from Tigerdirect was a dud. Had to run to Office Depot for a 500watt. Once we got the video card in, I wasn't about to turn back, lol. BFG GeForce 7800 OC ftw!

If anyone is playing or wants to try CoH online, I'd like to give it a run after some more single player time with the game. Looks like CoH could last a while.

Chenzo
01-31-2007, 10:57 AM
Played some campaign mode last night - lots of fun at a reasonable pace for learning.

Tried the skirmish mode and got pwned in less than 30 minutes. The AI enjoys a big advantage over a human user in that it does not lose track of multiple operations while focusing attention on one or two hotspots on the battlefield. Must learn to multitask better.

Graphics are spectacular. I've still got to tweak my card some. But, last night was such a major improvement over what I was running before.

The 600 watt power supply from Tigerdirect was a dud. Had to run to Office Depot for a 500watt. Once we got the video card in, I wasn't about to turn back, lol. BFG GeForce 7800 OC ftw!

If anyone is playing or wants to try CoH online, I'd like to give it a run after some more single player time with the game. Looks like CoH could last a while.

lol, yeah... I still haven't tried any of the skirmishes yet. generally I try to finish the single player campaigns in RTSs first, kinda like a training program.

So where are you at?

And you do know you can hit the pause button on your keyboard, but still move the camera around and issue orders, yeah?

in some of the later missions, this becomes crucial cause you'll have 2 or even 3 seperate task forces doing stuff at the same time.

Tagger
02-08-2007, 10:44 AM
The Pause button ftw!! Making frequent use of this one - especially defending Carentan during the German counterattack. Even on easy difficulty, this mission kept me busy. Lots of fun!

I moved on to the Red Ball Express mission - another good one. The Germans relentlessly attacked my right flank the whole time. So, it was a good lesson in over-extending.

Last night, I entered Cherbourg for the first time. The Sherman and the Sherman Croc made the initial push into town a breeze. However, there's difficulty ahead in the way of a German armored counterattack.

I was playing skirmishes for the last several nights just checking out all the single player maps. But, two nights ago I decided to get back to the missions since they're so much fun.

I don't think I could keep up with the rushers online. I prefer a more traditional battle method. It's more fun taking the map yards at a time rather than rushing the opponents HQ in the first 10 mins. Where's the fun in that?

Bottom line: enjoying the game immensely. Strongly recommend this as a purchase for anyone who has enjoyed an RTS in the past.

Have you noticed the engineers bitching about filling sandbags yet? "If I see one more bag of fucking dirt!" Sounds like Brooklyn from either Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers, lol!

Chenzo
02-08-2007, 11:16 AM
LOL

yeah... the game's great...

My favorite is "Jesuz Christ! Tie your FUCKING laces, Johnson!"

I haven't played in a while... been 2142 and Northern Striking too much lately.

Tagger
02-08-2007, 12:51 PM
LOL, yea, that's another great quote.

Soon as Tridigital completes the change to fiber, I'm probably going to pick up a copy of 2142 and check it out. Looks like you guys are having a blast with it.

However, tonight, I take Cherbourg. To hell with Jerry!

Tagger
02-14-2007, 06:15 PM
Finished the campaign mode last night. All total I wound up with 9/16 medals playing on easy. I'll have to go back and replay the others to finish getting the medals.

This game has some good replay value, IMO. I can see wanting a CoH fix on a regular basis.

Chenzo
02-14-2007, 07:03 PM
Finished the campaign mode last night. All total I wound up with 9/16 medals playing on easy. I'll have to go back and replay the others to finish getting the medals.

This game has some good replay value, IMO. I can see wanting a CoH fix on a regular basis.

LOL awesome... I'm still on the mission where you're defending a hill at night...

I got sidetracked when we started competing in 2142.

[SSr]LouSaynis
02-14-2007, 10:56 PM
CoH looks pretty cool. I might get actually get it.

and I agree with Chanzo, 2142 is very sidetracking

Tagger
02-15-2007, 12:58 PM
I'd be distracted from CoH more if my connection ever gets right. Till then, I'm just standin' by bigcry3

Sounds like you're talking about Hill 317, Chenzo. Be careful of Axis infantry and armor from the southeast. They will skirt your right flank using fog of war for stealth. Once they get around you, they drive right up to the back door while distracting you with frontal assaults on the other side of the hill. Sneaky Germans.

One well placed AT gun covered by a .30cal crew and a mortar team really screws up Jerry's sneaky plans. Once he commits to assaulting this defense, smack him in the side of the head with a couple of M10's and a Ranger squad. That'll rock his world.