PDA

View Full Version : CONTEST! Enter Here

[SS]CJ
08-15-2003, 05:30 AM
I'm a total noob at designing web site stuff. I just published a site for our family business, the Humdinger Drive-In. Here's a link to the site. I've only spend a couple hours on it so far, time consuming stuff.

http://home.comcast.net/~humdinger-drive-in/wsb/index.html

I don't have photoshop, and even if I did, it would take me half a year to get good at editing images. It seems a lot of ppl toy around with sigs, avatarts, etc. There are two pics in the site that I uploaded. One is in the upper left hand corner and the other is in the photo section. I took dig pics of a couple t-shirts and uploaded them to site after changing the bitmap format to jpeg format.

Here's the contest: If anyone feels like messing around with modifying them, go ahead. Post them up on this thread. I'll choose the best one and send that person a Humdinger ballcap that we just got in today, or one of our t-shirts. Either one of them would retail in the $20 range.

Anybody except Rator can enter. If he posted one up, I'd feel to obligated to make him the winner, lol. Now I'm wondering if this thread will even be here the next time I check.

[SS]Deadeye-R
08-15-2003, 10:50 AM
What do you want done with them?

[SS]Snakebite
08-15-2003, 02:16 PM
Anyone looking for a person to just sit around and play on photoshop all day?? I'm for hire. :D

Here ya go Jammer. It's not perfect and could be better if I had more time to work on it.

[SS]Snakebite
08-15-2003, 03:03 PM
heres the other..

[SS]Arkangel
08-15-2003, 03:25 PM
It may not be the most original...but it certainly is the most creative!!

[SS]Snakebite
08-15-2003, 04:24 PM
hehe, I like it Ark. Heres an option for the first one. It wouldnt let me post it full size , said it was too big. It's just an example of that image on a brick wall.

<AE>SPEARHEAD2
08-15-2003, 04:26 PM
Hiya fellas and gals,
Just stopped in to say hi and that I am now registered in your forums, looks great and damn gald to be here.

Spear
"The Tip of the Spear"

[SS]Arkangel
08-15-2003, 04:45 PM
C'mon, Snake...throw some Lens Flare in there!!! I know you know more than texturizing!! :D

[SS]Snakebite
08-15-2003, 05:26 PM
lol, I thought he just wanted some pics for his website. I didn't know we had to get all fancy. Yeah I know how to do lots of stuff..... don't make me unleash the power of photoshop upon you. heh

[SS]Deadeye-R
08-15-2003, 05:59 PM
Here's one with a wood plaque as a background

[SS]Snakebite
08-15-2003, 06:05 PM
Ok, Ark and Deadeye just basically stole my pic and put it on a diff background. I say we ban them from the competition. :D

[SS]Arkangel
08-15-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by [SS]Snakebite
Ok, Ark and Deadeye just basically stole my pic and put it on a diff background. I say we ban them from the competition. :D
If Snake is complaining that I stole his pic...I wonder how Rator is going to feel! Heheheheh.

[SS]CJ
08-15-2003, 08:57 PM
I knew there would be a bunch of questions. But if I tried to anwer all anticipated questions, the post would be too long, etc.

Deadeye, just use your imagination. The burger design should be kept along with the font on the image w/green background. We change the colors of our t-shirts everytime we place an order. We dont have an official logo or anything. What we have are some designs that we use for our menus, t-shirts, billboard sign, etc. Nothing we have is electronic media. Heck, the place that does our t-shirts wouldn't even give me a copy of their artwork (even though they charged me $70 an hour to do it). The image that I came up with in the upper left of the site is really sad, and it took me over 2 hours to do it. I don't know how much time Arkangel and Snakebite put in their pics, but they did everything that I was trying to do, which is straghten everything out and clean it up basically.

Snake, the two images that you did are sweet. I know that one with the black text/green background was all crooked. I made a few attempts at straightening it, but I just ended up ruining it. Also, the brick background is a nice touch. I thought it was funny how much the cotton texture showed up when I uploaded them to my pc from dig camera.

Ark, it's cool how you got the image to curve like that and the different colors are tight.

I told my mom what I was doin and she thought it was great. I'm gonna have to print all these out and show em to her. She'll get a kick out of them. I've been trying to get her to come over to check out the site and make comments. She doesn't use a pc at all.

[SS]Arkangel
08-15-2003, 10:27 PM
It's too hot to use my imagination.

[SS]Steve-O
08-16-2003, 09:04 PM
Can I get a pic from one of your burgers? Just want to see what ones looks like. Call it inspiration.

[SS]Deadeye-R
08-17-2003, 01:10 AM
Ok Snake, fair enough. I didn't think there was any point in trying to redo your pic since it was so nice to begin with. So really I was paying you a compliment you damn cry baby.

Jammer, I'll come up with something, but as Ark says it is too fuckin hot to use my imagination- 45C - I'm not too sure what that is in F but I think its about 103.

[SS]CJ
08-17-2003, 01:33 AM
SteveO, yea, I can get you a picture of one of our "typical" burgers. It might take a few days though. Whenever I need to take a dig pic, I have to go borrow the camera from a friend of mine.

I printed everyones submissions and I'll take them over to my moms tomorrow. I downloaded photoshop 6 and 7. Photoshop 7 looked really suspicious though, but I installed 6 and it seems to work fine. I was messin with one of them and changed the color from green to yellow. There's probably a really fast way to do it. It took me over an hour. My guess is it has something to do with that magic wand thing.

I tried to attach the one that I changed colors on, but it won't let me, so I'll post it in the Dinger site.

[SS]Snakebite
08-17-2003, 01:39 AM
lol, Deadeye.... I was just yankin your chains anywho. I wasn't entering the contest to win, just to help out a brother. Plus I like playing on Photoshop. :D

[SS]SportoFu
08-17-2003, 01:55 AM
I noticed that Paintshop Pro8 has a tool that will separate colors.....so when you click on a certain spot with it, it will only change that color.....not the whole picture. I haven't learned how do it with Photoshop yet!!!:mad:

[SS]Steve-O
08-17-2003, 02:39 AM
Use the magic wand. You can select multiple items at once if you hold "Shift". If you hold down "alt" you can deselect a certin object. Also if you hold "cntrl" and use the lasso tool you can cut out what you would like to repaint or delete the lasso tool probably one of the most used tool by any person who uses photshop.

Here is a great web site for anyone even Rator. It touches on everything from web design to modelling 3d objects. I learned a lot from this site and it continues to teach me. Best of all its absolutly free.

http://www.digital-tutors.com/digital_tutors/

[SS]CJ
08-17-2003, 05:30 AM
Thanks for info SteveO. I was getting the wand to work, but I didn't know about shift and alt. I'll try em out next time I'm messing around, same goes for that link. I've saved a couple links for photoshop, i'll post em. The ray of light (its the fundy link) looks really sweet. I haven't taken the time to try one, but the tutorial is really detailed, yet simple.

http://user.fundy.net/morris/redirect.html?photoshop6.shtml

http://www.insidegraphics.com/default.asp

Since this is turning into a "Teach Jammer Photoshop" thread, can you print multiple files on 1 sheet of paper? Not on top of each other though. Let's say I wanted to print out everyones sig. They don't take up much space. It would be a waste of paper to print each one individually.

Wow, it let me attach the image. It's the exact same image that I was trying to attach earlier. weird. Well...maybe its different, I was resizising like a mofo trying to get it to attach.

[SS]Steve-O
08-17-2003, 10:26 AM
Jammer the only way I know how to do it is you make a new document and make it the size of all the sigs hieght added together. and take the widest sig and make that the width of the new document.

For example:
If 14 sigs are 76 pixals high. then you go 14 X 76 = 1064.
Now you may be wondering well that won't fit on a page. The is a option photoshop gives you that makes prininting to a sheet of paper, and making sure you do not cut out anything very easy. When you go to "print with preview" a new option box will pop up and you can chose to scale to fit the page. very handy feature. I suggest you put two or three sigs across that way the images won't be down sized a lot when you print them out.

[SS]Deadeye-R
08-17-2003, 02:25 PM
Here's a couple of graphics I thought you might like. I did two different letterings just in case a smaller size would make the letters unreadable. If you like them I can resize them for you.
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/ss.strategy/Frostfire/humdingerwalllgletters.jpg http://www.angelfire.com/games5/ss.strategy/Frostfire/humdingerwallsmletters.jpg

[SS]Snakebite
08-17-2003, 03:57 PM
Very Nice Deadeye!! Now your cookin.... with gas.

I can tell you know a lot more about photoshop then me. I'm still a noob. All those little effects you added makes it look like an original old sign on the wall. Nice.

[SS]Deadeye-R
08-17-2003, 04:39 PM
Here's another one. I obviously have too much time on my hands today. I'm still a newb at making graphics from scratch but here is something. It got a bit pixelated in transfer, but I'm sure I can fix it.

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/ss.strategy/Frostfire/milkshake_copy.jpg

[SS]CJ
08-18-2003, 04:31 AM
Those are great Deadeye. I was thinkin grafitti also when I saw the one with a brick background texture. Also, we used to have bright yellow plastic cups with our name printed on them, kinda the same principle that you did. It was really expensive though, you'd be amazed how much more money plastic cups are opposed to waxed paper cups. We also had to order like 5,000 cups at a time cause of the printing. Where do you store 5,000 cups? Anyway, that was over 10 years ago.

[SS]CJ
08-21-2003, 07:05 PM
Steve-O, these are for you. I can personally attest to the deliciousness of the 1/3lb. Turkey Burger. As soon as I took off those disgusting red things (tomatoes) that is.

http://home.comcast.net/~humdinger-drive-in/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-872158.html

http://home.comcast.net/~humdinger-drive-in/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-872167.html

http://home.comcast.net/~humdinger-drive-in/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-872170.html

http://home.comcast.net/~humdinger-drive-in/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-872172.html

[SS]Vindica8r
08-21-2003, 07:40 PM
some one want to hook me up with what ever program your use on here i would like to get in to this looks like fun

JESS7
08-22-2003, 05:53 PM
Are you gonna eat that pickle? lol

[SS]Rator
08-22-2003, 05:57 PM
Deadeye, with the sign on the wall, if you set the layer that has the sign on it to like, "multiply" or "screen" or Lighten or something, it might look like its on the wall more.

[SS]Deadeye-R
08-22-2003, 06:20 PM
K, cool, thanks for the input Rator. I'm just recently learning how to use those kinds of things - adjustment layers and what not. Seems my knowledge of photoshop is increasing expotentially these days. Way too much time on my hands.

[SS]Deadeye-R
08-22-2003, 06:23 PM
Vin if you wanna be as cool as us you'll need to get your hands on Photoshop. I use version 6, but 7 is the new version. You can buy it, but thats for law-abiding people like Rator. I downloaded it from Kazaa, and I think Breach and those other guys got it from IMESH. Check it out.

[SS]Cuervo
08-22-2003, 06:27 PM
OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!.. those look like the best tasting hamburgers EVER!!! my mouth is watering.. OH PLEASE.. PLEASE SEND ME ONE!!!! overnight that shitt.. next day morning.. delivery..

[SS]Cuervo
08-22-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by [SS]Deadeye
Vin if you wanna be as cool as us you'll need to get your hands on Photoshop. I use version 6, but 7 is the new version. You can buy it, but thats for law-abiding people like Rator. I downloaded it from Kazaa, and I think Breach and those other guys got it from IMESH. Check it out.

hehe i did it the harder way.. got the demo and got a serial crack for it (since the demo is a full feature and u need the serial number to unlock it)

[SS]CJ
08-24-2003, 12:57 AM
Vin,
I just downloaded photoshop 7.0 from Kazaa Lite and it seems to be working fine. Of course, I havent tested every aspect of it (probably never will either). It's really intimidating at first. Make sure you visit all the tutorials, they help a lot.

[SS]CJ
09-04-2003, 06:45 AM
First off, let me thank everybody for helping me out. Not only did I get some good stuff, but I also learned a lot. I didn't realize being THE judge would be so difficult. So lets get the show on the road.

The winner for the "Create a Humdinger Logo" contest is Snakebite. Basically, he did what I was trying to do, but I didn't have the knowledge and skill to do it.

I'm changing the rules a bit.

Snakebite, I'm sending you a hat and a t-shirt. What size t-shirt. I have XL and XXL. They're 100% cotton and shrink a lot.

Deadeye and Arkangel, thanks for participating. I'm sending you guys a t-shirt. What size? XL or XXL. I would offer the choice of hat also, but I only ordered 6 hats and only have 1 left.

Deadeye, personally, I really liked your entry of the cup with our logo on it. I had to go with Snakebite's though, because his fit the application that I was going for.

Ark, your entry was really interesting, I couldn't come up with a use for it though.

Thanks again everybody. I'll update the Humdinger site, well...when I get around to it. I did change our logo already though (using Snakebite's design). I'm trying to figure out where to put design acknowledgements.

[SS]Snakebite
09-04-2003, 08:30 AM
First I'd like to thank my wardrobe manager.... and my director... :D

I'm just glad I could help. If I had known you would have used mine, I would have spent a little more time with it. XXL shirt will be ok and throw in one of those burgers and a pickle (for Jess) ;) jk

No need to put design rights on it, I just draw for fun.

[SS]Rator
09-04-2003, 11:15 AM
Cool. Hey Jammer, if you are going to be printing the new logo i'm not sure i Snake did it in hi-res. Did you snake? Hmmm...otherwise the whole thing may need to be recreated to be able to print it.

Let me know, i can help if so.

[SS]Deadeye-R
09-04-2003, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the compliments man. I gotta give credit to snakebite too because I used his original fixed image for all of my graphics.

[SS]Snakebite
09-04-2003, 05:43 PM
Oh and I dont want to confuse everyone, I'm not that good at Photoshop. I didn't fix Jammers original pic, I just started from scratch and made one that looked as close as possible. If you take his original and mine and look closely, you can see the difference. And I dont know if it was hi-res or not Rator, Jammer might want to check it out before printing it on a bunch or shirts and stuff.

JESS7
09-04-2003, 07:28 PM
Actually, he just doesn't know what size shirt he wears because I buy all his clothes for him. I believe he meant to say that he needed and XL shirt. That's what size all his others are, and they're plenty big enough. He's just not much on fashion or things like that, so basically he gets clothes once a year - Christmas time. I can only remember one time that we actually went shopping for him some clothes! Snake, you might listen to the all-knowing Breach on this one though and actually start helping me around the house!

Thanks for the help Breach! lol:)

[SS]CJ
09-04-2003, 08:06 PM
Snake,

I've printed a couple out already. On paper though. They look great. They printed out much larger on paper than they look on the screen. We already have a design for t-shirts and hats. I wanted the logo for the website/webpage. It's the logo in the upper left hand corner. When it comes time to re-do the menus, i may use it for that as well, or one of the others (not quite sure yet). It'll only be one color though. I've taken note of the size, the checks in the mail.

Deadeye, what size?

OK, I've noted your new size Snake. I'm glad the hats are one size fits all.

Just some info regarding sizes. I normally wear an XL t-shirt. But these seem to shrink more than others, so I'm wearing XXL. I'll hold off on mailings til I hear from Deadeye, Ark, and maybe Snake again.

[SS]SportoFu
09-04-2003, 08:18 PM
I can almost guarantee that Deadeye will take the XL if that's the smallest you have......LOL! j/k D.

[SS]Rator
09-04-2003, 08:59 PM
Jammer/Snake...WARNING! Please send me the final file so i can proof it before you print anything on anything. ok? I have no problem checking it out and prepping it for you to print. Just email me.

if the res is wrong or the size is wrong, it could print like ass and youd be out cash.

[SS]Snakebite
09-04-2003, 09:57 PM
I was only kidding before, you don't have to send me anything. Next time I'm up your way, I might like one of those burgers tho. I'll email you the pic Rator to get your input.

[SS]CJ
09-05-2003, 06:32 AM
Too late Snake. I already have them in the envelope, ready to mail. You're getting a hat and a t-shirt and you WILL enjoy them! Understand? Good.

Rator, I sent you a couple files to proof. I'm not going to pretend that I know exactly what you'll do to them or what to look for. I've printed all of the entries and they've turned out well enough. But you're the expert, so I defer judgement to you.