PDA

View Full Version : Socom Ii Ranking

=D//R=SkyHawk
11-10-2003, 12:33 AM
After playing all day and getting more then 5 MVPs my score dropped from 930 points to 823 I mean what the hell is happening. Anyone knows how the ranking system works on SOCOM II?

[SS]SportoFu
11-10-2003, 02:51 AM
I'm not sure, but I didn't play very well tonight. I played 3 maps and moved UP 4-5000 ranks......???

[SS]Rator
11-10-2003, 02:55 AM
does it matter?

[SS]SportoFu
11-10-2003, 03:16 AM
Not at all.
I'm just curious how/why it is, if it is really the way it is, and if it's going to be the way it is right now, later. You know? lol.

[SS]Deadeye-R
11-10-2003, 03:56 AM
I checked my rank before I played with you guys tonight. Remember that game that I got 13-3 on with 64 points, that made my rank drop 2000, and drop meaning not good. Its messed.

[SS]CJ
11-10-2003, 08:04 AM
This applies to almost everyone. Go find your own name and check 5, 10, and 20 ranks above and below you. If it's anything like my S2 rank/ladder position, then there won't be a heck of a lot of difference in total points. Lets say there is 15k ppl playing at the same time as you. The odds are that over half of the ppl right next to you are gaming at the same time.
My guess is that for the first couple of months it will continue like this. When the newness finally wears off and only the dedicated (err...addicted players like myself) remain, each individuals rank will seem to stabalize.
This is only my guess. I could be totally wrong and it wouldn't surprize me if I was.

[SS]ProXimo
11-10-2003, 09:57 AM
I don't pay attention to the ranking system used by S2. I only care about the ranking system within [SS]. So my rank can be at the lowest or highest level, it does not matter to me.

Just my opinion.

The point system is better way of determining the MVP now, but it's also bad that in Breach missions the SEALS get points for blowing up gates and such. I have played with people that want to destroy all the gates before going in for the goal. That's stupid and it's the only thing I don't like about it.

Just my opinion.

[SS]Rator
11-10-2003, 11:48 AM
yeah its true, people will go for points like that. some wont even take a shot if they have it cause they cant get the headshot. its weak. worry about your clans position in the 3rd party ladders if anything.

Weeper
11-10-2003, 12:31 PM
I don't really care ... just wanna play.

I am glad to see the rankings of my Teammates and applaud their efforts.

I believe in TEAM 1st ... Individualism 2nd ... this is why I joined [SS]

I would rather have the worse ranking on the team because I am defending our base and not rushing out getting all the kills, yet get us the WIN (if possible) so that the TEAM WINS.

I am also glad to be part of a TEAM that has great players, strategy, comraderie ... its AWESOME!!!

So go get you kills ... I've got your back!!! ;)

[SS]Rator
11-10-2003, 12:33 PM
atta boy weep!

[SS]Dr.Who
11-10-2003, 12:40 PM
Gentlemen, you must also remeber that points and rankings in S2 is based on opponents as well. If you beat or defeat a better ranked person you get more points, if you are beaten by a lesser ranked person you will LOSE more points.

This way is okay if you are highly skilled and always playing "better ranked" peeps. I have been trying to get some consistency to my points by playing in specific rooms. Ie Ensigns ONLY, Lt. ONLY commander ONLY, captain ONLY and so forth. That way there wins and loses are more stabilized because all participants are of equal rank if not of equal skill.

Also points are awarded for "surviving" as well. I am not the greatest shot, (will take a body shot anyday over waiting for headshot) and sometimes in holding down an assigned area I do not see much action but do get points for surviving rounds.

You also get points for Primary and secondary actions. that is why these assholes are running around blowing and never fully breaching.

Honestly I do look at SOCOM rankings because we PLAY BY THEM IN THE SOCOM WORLD, SOCOM IS BASED ON THEIR RANKING SYSTEM. If I play well I get rewarded points and eventually work my way up ladder. For ladder matches rank will come into play.

But in [SS] SOCOM rank makes no difference. My primary concern is my playing. As long as my gameplay benefits and goes well with my [SS] brethren, I follow game strategies and direction....... then that is ULTIMATELY what matters MOST.

[SS]Rator
11-10-2003, 01:44 PM
Doc wrote "Honestly I do look at SOCOM rankings because we PLAY BY THEM IN THE SOCOM WORLD, SOCOM IS BASED ON THEIR RANKING SYSTEM. If I play well I get rewarded points and eventually work my way up ladder. For ladder matches rank will come into play."

Rank will never come into play in any match you play with the SS. The SOCOM ranking system is one of the things that causes the lag we all experience from time to time. Why? The damn stats are updated all the friggin time, non-stop. it takes a lot of server horsepower to calculate EVERYONES stats in EVERY game EVERY nite ALL the time.

The ranking system only encourages people to find ways to get to the top without working for it. Dont' bother with it. I know everyone can see your stats, and your rank etc. but who cares? Cuervo is higher ranked than me, i dont care. Shit, i think Vins wife is ranked higher than me. It makes no difference.

I understand the attraction of the ranking system, but use the force SS!

[SS]ProXimo
11-10-2003, 05:05 PM
Ditto on that Rator.

I don't care about the ranking system and never look at the rank for any reason. I just want to play and make [SS] a great clan that can hold their own with anyone.

This takes team work and working towards the team goal. The victory is for [SS] to win. Not the individual.

Good thing we have some great guys in the clan that play like a team. This is what makes the difference.

Just my opinion.

[SS]Rator
11-10-2003, 07:25 PM
was his tag registered? or was it in his actual name? fuckin wannabes

[SS]Deadeye-R
11-10-2003, 07:46 PM
A few comments:

1. I agree that the ranking system is crap. At first it appeared to work ok, I was killing and breaching and such and my rank was getting better. But, as I have gotten better at the game my rank has dropped dramatically.

2. One misconception is that the "score" is total points. This is not true. Score" is a rating of your play. Check out Yahoo games if you want to see how rating systems work. The difference between S2's rating system and Yahoo's rating system is that Yahoo's works.

3. I played today with a bunch of kids that did not even care if we won the game. All they cared about was beating their record of 90 points in a match. They constantly breached and breached and breached etc. They got their 90 points and we lost.

JESS7
11-10-2003, 07:48 PM
Maybe their clan was [SS] too. You know in S1, it didn't matter. In S2 I guess they had to use the space to get their clan registered. Just think, what if they had registered their clan first? Then the real SS wouldn't even get to be SS! Wouldn't that stink! "WEAK SAUCE!" lol

[SS]Rator
11-10-2003, 07:57 PM
i had 2 copies of S2 pre-ordered and ran to the place that got it first, then sped home , popped it in, registered the name, and had a cigarette. Whew! That would've been weak sauce for sure. But, i got it first, so, HOT SAUCE!!!

(Jess, too many commas there?)

[SS]ProXimo
11-10-2003, 08:00 PM
Sounds like you where having Sex Rator.

LOL

JESS7
11-10-2003, 09:46 PM
Don't ask me about grammar or punctuation, Rator. I made A's in English, but I still suck at it. I figure if everyone in America could figure out the English language, then there'd be something bad wrong with the world. It's just too complicated!

[SS]CJ
11-11-2003, 04:24 AM
I was in a room a couple of days ago and saw a person with an [SS] tag. When the game was over I asked him when he became a Sea Sniper. He told me the SS stood for something else, I don't remember what exactly though. His tag appeared exactly as ours.

[SS]Cuervo
11-11-2003, 03:04 PM
as far as rank goes.. its just nice to see it up there.. but dont mean anything.. it is wacked.. ive logged off at 700 and log in like 20 hours later and im at 300.. go figure..

I did notice #1 has like close to 5K points.. and #2 has 4K. You know how long you have to play to get this???if you average 50 pts a game.. that 100 games.. thats alot..

[SS]CJ
11-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Normally, I would just delete any emails from e-seals cause I wasn't chosen as a beta tester. I read their newsletter anyway. Here's what it said about rank:

How does the Player Ranking system work?
This game assigns a rank to each player according based on the points they earn while playing SOCOM II online. Teamwork, accuracy, completing objectives all contribute to the score you're shown after completing a game. You'll earn more points by killing players who outrank you. For example: if a low-ranking character kills another low-ranking character he will gain a certain number of points. That same low-ranking player could earn more points by killing a character who outranked him. By the same logic, a highly ranked player won't earn a lot of points by killing players with a low ranking.

Well we hope this solves some of the issues you might see when you are online gunning it out. Keep the questions coming and we will do our best to get them answered. See you in the game!

[SS]Cuervo
11-12-2003, 04:36 PM
i guess ill go in admiral only rooms then.. HAHA!!

[SS]Snakebite
11-12-2003, 06:58 PM
I've tried Admiral only rooms a couple of times. My rank didn't seem to change at all. I'm more worried about learning the maps right now. I have no idea where I'm at on Shadow falls or Enuwapi.

=D//R=SkyHawk
11-13-2003, 12:55 AM
Speaking of getting SOCOM II. I went to the GameStop at a local mall, where I preordered the game for about $42. It was Wednesday 5th the day SII came out and the day when the store got the shipment. My class ended at about 12pm I rushed to the mall once I got there I said: "I need socom II!" the employee looked at me and said "Oh you need it?!" well of course I yelled YES!, he took the copy of SII from the shelf, my eyes were shining and when I was about to grab the copy from the guys hands he said "The difference is $10.7" Well at first I was damned, then I was like hey not a bid deal, but as I opened my wallet I saw that I only had $7 in it. I was so pissed at that moment you cant even express that in writing. I rushed home as fast as I could, when I got there I had to search for every single penney that I could find. I collected what ever I found and rushed to the store so I could exchange coins for "green". It is kind of funny, my pay day was supposed to be in 2 days, and as always I run out of money. Anyway I went back to the store and got my copy of SOCOM II. I also asked a guy if I could buy a SII ad, the ones they display when some new game comes out, they are usually 3D and made out of a cardboard. Well he said that they will call me in about a moth so I could pick it up for free, which was kind of cool, because I like the ad. Back to the topic, when I got SII I went home to try it out and I only had 40 min to do so, since my next class was starting at 2pm. It was not a break between my classes it was a complete stress for me.

There for:
1. Picking up a preordered video game is a stress.
2. SOCOM II is a video game.
3. Picking up preordered SOCOM II is a stress.

Weeper
11-19-2003, 08:23 PM
This is the official explanation from ZIPPER on the Socom II Ranking System:

http://www.playstationmagazine.com/article2/0,4364,1385899,00.asp

Virus
11-20-2003, 09:23 AM
Rank doesn't matter, its who you play with that does.. I enjoy my clan mates, the teamwork and the brother/sister hood feeling. DTW has some funny people on it too, I laugh all the time when I'm hanging with them..

Tagger
11-20-2003, 04:15 PM
Virus,

You hit the nail on the head. It's the friends that keep people coming back, in the clan setting.

If not for the <AE>, my S2 enjoyment level wouldn't be near what it is. I like my buds and buddets. Then again, I guess I'd find another good clan that would accept me and join them.

And, yes, the ranking system is "weak sauce", lol!