PDA

View Full Version : Sony PS3 Info

NEO-X
05-14-2006, 07:41 PM
A bit more details for those of you who are interested

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/703/703135/the-truth-behind-blu-ray-and-the-playstation-3-20060425052439528.jpg

The next-generation console will come in two models -- but both will include a hard drive, unlike Xbox 360. The base model will retail at $499 with 20 GIG HD. Those with a little extra disposable cash can pick up a premium version loaded with a 60G GIG HD for $599 at launch this November 17TH

This controller has been scrapped for the DualShock
http://members.optusnet.com.au/felixcheung/17-05%20PS3%20Controller.jpg

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/lifestyle/2006-05/10/xin_590503101026976227941.jpg

During the Sony E3 press conference, Harrison introduced SCE CEO and president Ken Kutaragi, a.k.a. "The Father of PlayStation". Advertisement

Kutaragi piqued the audiences' interest near the end of the conference by saying he and Sony had "one big secret we've kept from you." After commenting on his fabled "4D world", he then held up the new PS3 controller, which looked much like the old tried-and-true PlayStation controllers. Gone was the boomerang shape that made many gamers' stomachs turn.

Harrison continued to demo the capabilities of the controller, bringing up a 3D image of a wooden crate. After a bit of knocking around, drilling and sawing within the crate, the sides collapsed to reveal the small rendering of a PS3 controller. Harrison proceeded to pick up the physical controller from his podium, and the on-screen rendition levitated as well.

The controller, according to Harrison, has "six degrees of freedom built in", and will come standard with every PS3. He emphasized that it is not an extra peripheral that gamers would have to buy. Kutaragi and Harrison added that it actually weighs less than the PS2's controller, and called it a "fantastic innovation."

To demonstrate the real-life capabilities of the controller, Incognito's Warhawk producer and director Dylan Jobe walked out on stage to play his game in real-time with the controller. He controlled Warhawk's aircraft by tilting the controller left and right, forward and back as he locked onto and fired at enemies.

Jobe stated that Incognito is "incredibly excited about the possibilities of the controller," and commented on its precise accuracy

http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data/nnews/2006/4481/Image/7.JPG

As already disclosed , the PS3 is powered by the Cell processor and the RSX graphics engine. Both basic and high-end models support 1-Gibt Ethernet and 1,080-pixel resolution. The high-end model has an HDMI output and a flash card slot that accepts Memory Stick, SD and CompactFlash cards.

A new feature is the unit’s wireless game controller, which is equipped with a six-axis sensing system that detects the controller’s position and movement. Thus no separate, corresponding device, such as a receiver, is required to “read” the controller.

Both PS3 models contain a Blu-ray Disc optical drive. Sony and other Blu-ray adopters plan to begin sales of players based on the next-generation optical format at around $1,000 this summer. Since the PS3 will sell for less, Blue-ray platform vendors could feel price pressure from the console. And since low-end HD DVD players sell for around $499, the Playstation 3 could collide in the market with players based on that competing optical-disk format

(Info from various websites)

NEO-X
05-14-2006, 07:41 PM
An article from gamepro

Here's the Article:

In an exclusive interview with GamePro editor Bro Buzz, Sony's resident PlayStation 3 expert, Phil Harrison, touches on a variety of topics: Xbox exec Peter Moore's praise for the Nintendo Wii, pricing for PS3 games and hardware, and rumors concerning the PS3's abilities.

http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps3/games/news/images/55089-1.jpg
Sony's Phil Harrison debuts the PlayStation 3 controller at E3 2006

GamePro editor Bro Buzz had the opportunity to sit down with Sony executive Phill Harrison. The two industry veterans spoke about a wide range of topics. Here are the key highlights from that conversation, in Harrison's words. Sony fans should take note -- there are quite a few PS3 tidbits revealed in this sprawling, three-page article.

...On Peter Moore's Praise for the Nintendo Wii

"I think Peter Moore is exactly right. I think Nintendo will be the second system consumers purchase after PlayStation 3."

"I haven't had a chance to check out the Wii myself, but Nintendo has a great history of innovation and has always done great things for gaming and long may they do so. But as it relates to our strategy they are very much in a different market."

"I know what Peter was getting at with his price point issue but he's not comparing apples to oranges. He's not even comparing the same kind of food products at all. It's clearly a case that PlayStation 3's price is justified by PlayStation 3's value. That's what consumers base their purchasing decisions on -- value."

Frankly, I'm amazed that we can [sell the PS3] so cheaply.

"What we have in addition to a great game system is a Blue Ray player, a network platform, a new controller, and HDD in every system combined in an unbelievably compelling package. And frankly I'm amazed that we can do it so cheaply."
...On the Differences Between the 20 and 60 GB PS3 Models

"The main differences are the 60 GB drive and the 20 GB drive in terms of disc storage. The 20 GB has HD component rather than HDMI. The 60 GB machine has additionally memory card slots on it, which are great for archiving photo and other content. But the 20 GB machine has USB ports so you can get all the functionality with external devices."
...On Whether the 20 GB PS3 Will Fully Support Blu-Ray
The $599 60 GB PS3 (top) looks different from the $499 20 GB PS3 (bottom)
http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps3/games/news/images/55089-4.jpg
The $599 60 GB PS3 (top) looks different from the $499 20 GB PS3 (bottom)

"That seems to be a misunderstanding and I'm happy to clear that up. Both machines have Blue Ray disc as standard. Both machines play Blue Ray disc movies as standard. Both machines will play Blue Ray disc movies as HD. The only difference is that the high end machine uses a more convenient digital interconnect called HDMI which is a digital standard and the 20 GB unit uses HD component which is an analog standard. The picture quality is fantastic."

"The end user will not notice any quality difference. Perhaps if you were projecting onto a gi-normous screen you might notice some difference, but also not every HD display has HDMI. So we're providing a choice to the consumer."

"Both versions will support 1080p."

[SS]Steve-O
05-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Both version will support 1080p without the HDMI? I wonder if this will be the case with Blu-ray movies? Suddenly I loke the $499 version way better if this is true.

I really can't see this being true in the case of the blu-ray movies because one of the main reasons the HDMI is being incorporated is because of its copyright protection capabilities. If it is true thou the stand alone blu-ray players will probably not be HDMI only to get the 1080p image.

Brubix
05-18-2006, 07:50 PM
That looks sick...not sure if I wou8ld spend the extra...but I do have the TV to hook up with HDMI....

NEO-X
05-19-2006, 07:34 AM
As much as I hate to spend this much, I'll probably spend it, and get the 600 version..

THe extra hundred is totally worth it

Beefy1223
05-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Amen, brother.

Money=Power
Power=Money

I'm totally going for it. I just wish they would give us a more specific release date.

[SSr]LouSaynis
05-28-2006, 06:59 AM
DAMNIT!bigcry3

I dont have any moneybigcry2

N0-LIMIT-S0LJA
05-28-2006, 03:19 PM
im with u mack i mean im fackin 14 turning 15 and my bday is 7/6/06 and im getting money for that i hope 200$ then i wont get PS3 immidately since first shipment of many consoles have bugs then i will wait till after christmas with another 200-300$ if i dont have enough i will beg my mom to loan me some and work my ass off doing chores