PDA

View Full Version : Vonage

[SS]Vapid
07-14-2005, 10:54 AM
Do any of you use Vonage for your telephone service? If you don't know what it is, it's a broadband phone company Vonage (http://www.vonage.com/) and I'm thinking about setting this up at my house. I wanted to see if anyone has tried it and if they can give their opinion of the service.

[SS]Vapid
07-15-2005, 11:27 AM
I called yesterday to see what this is all about. It seems pretty cool. If you have a broadband connection you have evreything you need. They give you an adapter that you plug into your phoneline and plug you phone into the adapter. What makes it really cool is that you can take the adapter and ANYWHERE you want and plug it into another broadband connection with a phone and you can use your phone. It'll still be the same number. The plan I'm looking at setting up is $24.99 a month and it is unlimited long distance to anywhere in the US and Canada.

[SS]Steve-O
07-15-2005, 02:55 PM
The plan I'm looking at setting up is $24.99 a month and it is unlimited long distance to anywhere in the US and Canada.

So do you have to pay for local calls?eyepop

j/kingtoothysmil

[SS]Vapid
07-15-2005, 03:10 PM
That was one of my questions when I called. They said no. But there is a problem with 911 if you move your phone to another location. You have to jump online and notify them where your phone is located if you want to be found in emergencies.

[SS]Vapid
09-27-2005, 12:36 PM
I signed up today and will be getting my adapter later in the week. I'm going to be talking the ears off the Canadians!

[SS]Steve-O
09-27-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by [SS]Vapid
I signed up today and will be getting my adapter later in the week. I'm going to be talking the ears off the Canadians!

SHIT

J/king Vapid call all you want....I just won't answer, hahahahah

[SS]Vapid
09-27-2005, 03:44 PM
It's only $25.00 a month for unlimited calls/minutes to anywhere in USA, Canada, and some other places I'll probably never call.

On top of that, you can take your phone and the adapter and plug it in ANYWHERE and your phone works, as long as there is a broadband connection.

Lgndkllr777
09-27-2005, 04:01 PM
Really... i might get this to replace my cell phone... but ill have to stop at internet cafes to make mobile calls...

[SS]Vapid
10-01-2005, 02:57 AM
I got my adapter today vis DHL. I was expecting a rinky-dink adapter that would connect my phone to my router. When I opened the box I found a sweet Linksys router. I can use the new router all by itself or run it off my current router. This is super cool and even I figured out how to set it up. Because I have Verizon DSL I had to make one phone call and BAMM! everything works. I can call ANYWHERE in the US or Canada (and some other places I'll probably never call but I might just because I can) and talk as long as I want when ever I want and it's all included in my $24.99 a month plan.

[SS]Hellboy-R
10-01-2005, 08:01 AM
Vapid keep me up dated and if it what they say I will switch over myself. I been paying phone bills of like 150.00 or a month because my wife calls her familly long distance a lot.

[101]~Sgt. Ktaz
10-01-2005, 11:56 AM
ok, so far you have me happy in the pants with this. But i have 4 questions. (i know sorry, as you can tell...im out of minutes AHHH HAHAHAH) 1) Do they supply you with a phone ? 2) Does this only work with certain ISPs? 3) Does it slow down your connection and download speeds and finally 4) if your internet goes down, do you not have a phone ?

[SS]Vapid
10-01-2005, 12:23 PM
I'll tell you what, I'm pretty happy in the pants as well.

Originally posted by [101]~Sgt. Ktaz
1) Do they supply you with a phone?No they don't. Your current phone will in fine. The router they give you hass for ethernet lots and 2 phone cord slots. The router is configured for only one of the phone slots to work but you can set up an additional phone line or fax line for a few more dollars a month.

2) Does this only work with certain ISPs?No, it is supposed to work with all ISPs. It works with DSL modems and Cable modems. The router can be moved to another broadband connection and your phone will ring and work as though it was at your house.

3) Does it slow down your connection and download speeds?I haven't noticed any type of slow down or connection problems but I don't think it can improve my connection and it is useing broadband so I'm going to say Yes. Again, I haven't noticed any upload/download slow downs.

4) if your internet goes down, do you not have a phone?No. Same thing goes for power failure. Howerver, you can set a forwarding number to ring through to another phone number (cell or house).

[SS]Vapid
05-12-2006, 09:49 PM
I just got an update from Vonage and now I can call most of Europe for FREE as part of my $25.00 a month package. I still get unlimited local and long distance to anywhere in US, Canada, and now western Europe.

This is great. I need new friends to call!

[SS]Midnight
05-13-2006, 12:14 AM
Heh nice. :)

Your new sig scares me.....

....aparently your sig scared my sig away....Rator are you screwing with the forums?

[SS]Chief
05-13-2006, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by [SS]Vapid
I just got an update from Vonage and now I can call most of Europe for FREE as part of my $25.00 a month package. I still get unlimited local and long distance to anywhere in US, Canada, and now western Europe.

This is great. I need new friends to call!

Ommm....when you get Asian (Japan) let me know, and we can talk all the time!

[SS]Vapid
05-13-2006, 04:22 PM
I'm sure that is on their to do list. I'm going to start making friends all over the world so I'll have people to talk to.