PDA

View Full Version : Ps3 Graphics Chip 'unfinished'

[SS]Vapid
05-26-2005, 03:28 PM
Article : PS3 GRAPHICS CHIP 'UNFINISHED'
Admission from nVidia executive casts further doubt on last week's PS3 tech demos

The chip that will power the PS3's graphics is not even finished yet, according to an executive from the company working on the technology for Sony.
The admission further fuels accusations that the demos shown at Sony's pre-E3 press conference last week were not running on actual hardware.
Whether you were present at Sony's pre-E3 conference in LA last week or not, you will probably have heard the loud 'whump' as several hundred jaws hit the floor at the same time.
But Marv Burkett, nVidia's chief financial officer, revealed that the PS3's graphical processing unit (GPU), currently codenamed the RSX, is still in development and could not have been used to power the demos.
Speaking at the JP Morgan Technology Conference in San Francisco - which runs at the same time as E3 - Burkett spoke of how no actual RSX silicon would be available until around September. That means no RSX chip exists, and that means the demos shown at the Sony press conference could not have been created with the chip.
- Graeme Boyd

To see the whole article click here (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?news/news_story.php?id=119444)

[SS]Hoot
05-26-2005, 07:06 PM
So this means that the actual graphics should be better.... That would rock.

[SS]Vapid
05-26-2005, 07:15 PM
Or they use a chip that does exist and is inferior.

ps2remitrom
05-26-2005, 08:21 PM
That would be about right ...here is the high dollar one but the cheap one will be the one usedbigcry3

TWINKIE'
05-26-2005, 08:34 PM
or it means they are gonna push back the date of when it comes out due to the part not being done because if the parts not done yet how do you make a game and test it out?

[SS]Vapid
05-26-2005, 09:59 PM
What ever chip they use will probably be very high end and high end is expensive. I think Sony said the system was going to be expensive so I'm sure we are going to get top notch but I think the videos we've seen may be to much to ask for. It may all be a ploy to prevent people from jumping to Xbox.

[SS]Steve-O
05-27-2005, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by [SS]Vapid
What ever chip they use will probably be very high end and high end is expensive. I think Sony said the system was going to be expensive so I'm sure we are going to get top notch but I think the videos we've seen may be to much to ask for. It may all be a ploy to prevent people from jumping to Xbox.

Well I think one of the most jaw-dropping video was killZone and when Sony was interviewed at E3 by a G4TV host they did say that the game will look like that. If any of you watched the Sony conference they said the RSX chip is more powerful then two (2) of there Gefore 6800's. So they may have used 2 of these to run the games on. Anyways some of the stuff they showed at the conference was in real time like Unreral Tourny and Fight Night by EA so I have no worry that Sony is going to be able to bring what they showed at E3 to the consumer market.

[SS]Vapid
05-27-2005, 10:03 AM
Oh yeah, I'm going to love what they have to offer. I just don't want to get my hopes up to high.