PDA

View Full Version : ATM thieves

[SS]Rator
01-27-2005, 12:48 PM
http://www.co.nassau.ny.us/consumer/ATMTheft.html

Badger
01-27-2005, 01:34 PM
This has been happening in Canada for quite some time. I watched a news program W5 (similar to Dateline but its Canadian) The problem is that up here its treated as a misdemenor offense. I can't remember the exact number of stolen funds in the past year but I believe if memory serves me correct it was close to $15 million. The banks seem oblivious to it, however they had actual police survalence tape of the crime being committed. Make you think twice about using an ATM thats for sure.

Good Post Rator, people need to know about these scams.

Chenzo
01-27-2005, 03:15 PM
whoa...

evil, but ingenious.

Kitten Killer
01-27-2005, 08:06 PM
That's terrible. I'm tired of people trying to take shortcuts in life at the expense of decent people.

I heard of a scam over here on the west coast were the criminals built a fake ATM machine like the ones you might see at your local mall. They had a laptop that would store the card information along with the pin number and then tell the customer that it was temporarily out of money. While looking like legitimate employees of a company that would deliver an ATM machine to the mall, the criminals would wheel the machine into the mall in the middle of the day. After a few weeks they would pick it up, retrieve the stolen information, and drop it off at another mall. I believe these guys were caught.

[SS]Steve-O
01-27-2005, 11:40 PM
That scam was going on around me for awhile, now the latest thing is cashiers double swiping the card. What is happing in local merchants are swiping the card twice for what ever reason and then stealing your money. Its gone as far as almost every single store now makes you swipe the card yourself.