PDA

View Full Version : Just an Idea Rator

24 Gunz
01-25-2005, 06:02 PM
Hey Rator and SS clan.
I am 24 Gunz, last year I wanted to join but I am too young :( but Rator, I think that you should expand your graphic capabilities to a new level. I think that maybe 3d models of the SOCOM II weapons would be really cool. Thats just my idea but whatever.

[SS]Rator
01-25-2005, 06:21 PM
Hey thanks man. I could do that, but i can't seem to find a reason why. I have plenty of pet projects to keep me busy. So far, ive only done 2 weapons, the sniper rifle and the glock trophy. Id be glad to do any 3d illustration that anyone wants, but its gonna cost. Thanks for the idea!

Kitten Killer
01-25-2005, 06:26 PM
Just to be curious, what would it cost for a 3D rendition of a Socom map (Enowapi) and how many hours of work would that be?

[SS]Fight[r]
01-25-2005, 06:28 PM
That would be insane. I dont see the point though. You would only see one perspective of it per picture.

Kitten Killer
01-25-2005, 06:34 PM
What about a 3D model that someone could manipulate? I have no idea about that kind of stuff but I've seen CAD programs be able to manipulate simple drawings that were composed of straight lines.

I'm sure it's way more than anyone would pay.

[SS]Rator
01-25-2005, 07:13 PM
Any of the socom maps that ive done already that have rolling terrain i have created in 3d. Once i sketch out the whole map in pencil, i scan it and paint in the high and low areas in black and white and create whats called a "bump map" or "height map". Then i apply that to a terrain in 3d and create the necessary textures etc. Once i have the 3d model built of the terrain, i can spin it around and animate it or look at it from any angle i want.

I COULD do Enowapi, but Vigilance is next. If anyone wanted to actually pay me to work on it like a real job and not just do it in my free time, the cost would be about $1000 if not more.

To complete a map from start to finish takes approx 60-80hrs. Between walking the map for accurate points etc and spectating and modeling and texturing and photography and scanning and text, bushes, boxes and all that jazz. Yea , its a lot.

As for manipulating the 3d model , im not sure what you are asking for. Please elaborate, and id be glad to repsond.

Here's Blood lake in 3d from above and to the right of the seal start. Note that not all details can be seen due to the type of lighting used (i set the lighting so that it looks best from a top down view) but you get the idea. I can render it from any angle i want.

Kitten Killer
01-25-2005, 07:35 PM
That's incredible; I thought you were making a plain old 2D overhead image of the map. It looks like you can manipulate all three axes at will. If this is right you're just posting a straight overhead view on the site. I was impressed before, now I'm really impressed. Good job.

24 Gunz
01-25-2005, 07:49 PM
Rator,
Could you do anything Clan Related in 3d for free? Because I am 15 and I sure as hell have no money but can u post what you can do and for how much so i can show my clan members and maybe make a deal with you?

[SS]Rator
01-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Thanks guys, if i get a chance ill post up the wireframe model of Blood Lake too just so you can see, maybe ill even render an animation of the camera just flying around it. Yes, the maps on the site are shot from directly (or almost directly) overhead.

As for free, lol nothing is for free, but we may be able to work a trade. I am a professional designer/illustrator and run my own design firm for the past 10 years or so. My main company site is http://www.generatorstudios.com and we can do just about anything and everything from websites to corporate brochures, animation and business cards, music and sound effects too. The only thing we dont really do is video editing since we just dont have the hardware for it.

Email me what you're looking for and ill talk to you about it in more detail. As for clan stuff, um, logos, websites, illustrations, anything you want really. Let me know. Thanks again fellas!

24 Gunz
01-25-2005, 09:10 PM
Rator I dont know if you remember me, but I was that kid last year (ossm00@aol.com) who emaild you about joining your clan and about you making me a site, and you said $5000 lol. But yea now that I am not the clan leader, and someone with money is we can set stuff up. So if you want me to email you what we want or if you want to email me your price guide, let me know.
GunZ

[SS]Rator
01-25-2005, 10:39 PM
yea just email me rator@seasnipers.net and ill let you know what you want costs.