PDA

View Full Version : I really can do some woodworking

[SS]CJ
09-17-2003, 03:45 AM
Here's a rack I made for my pool table. I play mostly 9 Ball and I don't have a ball return and the 10-15 balls always get in the way. The butt of the cue that is pictured is my jump stick. The model is a "Dirty Ernie." The shelf is made out of maple and lacewood. It's stained red to match the felt of the table and the carpet in the room.

[SS]CJ
09-17-2003, 03:48 AM
I made this sub box for home use (obviously). I wanted something different. This right triangle box turned out to be a lot harder than I anticipated. The 18" sub is supposed to have 9 cubic feet of airspace. So what! It only has about 4.5 cubic feet but it still shakes the walls of the house. I have to be carefull when I use it because of the neighbors.

[SS]CJ
09-17-2003, 03:49 AM
Here it is without the speaker cover.

[SS]CJ
09-17-2003, 03:52 AM
I hated all the cd racks that are for sale so I decided to make my own. The shelf is made out of particle board, black formica, 1/8" plywood, and chrome rods. The particle board is completly covered with black formica inside and out. I set up a jig in order to get the holes for the chrome rod uniform. The chrome rod was really expensive so I cheated with the back cd holders. They are made from ordinary dowel stock. You can't see the back wooden rods though.

[SS]Dr.Who
09-17-2003, 05:55 AM
Nice work, can you build a house for me, my wife gonna chit when I start buying all the HDD and service for SOCOM II! lol Nice work.

[SS]CJ
09-17-2003, 07:16 AM
I prefer to do fine detailed work. I've always viewed house construction as "Crude." Don't get me wrong, contruction work is needed and to do it, requires skill. That aspect never interested me though.

[SS]Steve-O
09-17-2003, 08:30 AM
nice work Jammer.

[SS]Snakebite
09-17-2003, 11:17 AM
Dang Jammer!! I thought we had a lot of CD's. You're loaded man. Nice work on that stuff.

Steve, that avatar is hilarious, what did you make it with?

JESS7
09-17-2003, 05:36 PM
Jammer, could you make us one of those racks for our DVDs, video games, and CDs? That would be super-great, and since Christmas is coming up, you wouldn't even have to get us a gift if you did this! lol

OH...you know I have to put my two cents in with the triangle! Can anyone tell me Jammer's mistake with the triangle? Sorry Jammer, but I am a geometry teacher. That is a very sharp looking speaker though....very cool!

[SS]Arkangel
09-17-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by [SS]Snakebite
Dang Jammer!! I thought we had a lot of CD's. You're loaded man. Nice work on that stuff.

I filled both of my cd racks and now I use the floor. I am in the realm of 400 or so...and I would never any one of them!!

JESS7
09-17-2003, 05:41 PM
Do you have all those alphabetized? lol

[SS]Cuervo
09-17-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by [SS]Jammer
I made this sub box for home use (obviously). I wanted something different. This right triangle box turned out to be a lot harder than I anticipated. The 18" sub is supposed to have 9 cubic feet of airspace. So what! It only has about 4.5 cubic feet but it still shakes the walls of the house. I have to be carefull when I use it because of the neighbors.

didnt take geometry eh?? all you had to do was extend the base several inches and that would have given you the extra cubic feet you needed.. lol

[SS]Cuervo
09-17-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by <AE>CHAMELEON

OH...you know I have to put my two cents in with the triangle! Can anyone tell me Jammer's mistake with the triangle?

The Speaker isnt centereD???

[SS]Cuervo
09-17-2003, 06:13 PM
thisnt int the actual picture.. the work sits in my mothers living room.. but it looks like this.. I made it in my woodworking class in Highschool.. I calcualted the time spent.. would have been a continous 3 months worth of hours spent on it. thats over 2100 hours
http://www.williamelocke.com/port/images/Newport%20Kneehole%20repro.jpg

Above is a picture of a Newport Desk that i made a replica of. They are super rare antiques.. Most of them have a normal drawer up top.. but i made mine as a desk.. where the top drawer front flips down and is really a desk.. with pigeon holes and small drawers inside

Just to show how rare it is.. one sold in 1996

5. Samuel Whitehorne block-and-shell kneehole desk, Newport, Rhode Island, $3.632 million, Sotheby's, January 20, 1996.

Ill post picture when i can for those who doubt me..

[SS]Dr.Who
09-17-2003, 06:17 PM
Wow, C, just think of how much more fun 2100 hours of SOCOM would have been instead of imitatin Bob Villa... ha ha ha ha

[SS]Cuervo
09-17-2003, 06:22 PM
that was back between '92-'95... no socom back then.. heck online multiplayers was just starting

[SS]Arkangel
09-17-2003, 06:56 PM
Do you have all those alphabetized? lol
Yes, I sure do!

JESS7
09-17-2003, 08:15 PM
Nah, I didn't even notice if the speaker was centered. I was just referring to the triangle. It's not a right triangle. At least that's the way I thought I read the post. By now, who knows what I could have read. Anyway, I wasn't trying to be Ms. Know-it-all. That just jumped out at me seeing how I deal with that stuff all day! lol

[SS]Steve-O
09-17-2003, 10:16 PM
Ark says:

Adobe Golive

[ss]Traffic
09-17-2003, 11:39 PM
looks alot like a triangle to me, may be i'm missing somthing:confused:

[SS]CJ
09-18-2003, 01:24 AM
Cuervo, impressive stuff. That's exactly the kind of a project that I would like. The main reason I don't do stuff like that is time. I'm pretty sure that I'm not faster than you when it comes to that stuff. I really don't want to spend a whole year or two in one thing. I know I'd get discouraged by the slow process. So I stick with smaller things.

<AE>CHAMELEON, here's a rough sketch I drew up. I called it a right triange because from the top view it looks like one. If there is a specific name for the shape of my speaker box, I'm all ears.

Ark, The rack hold around 450. I've been limiting myself to that many. I considered building another rack but in the end, decided to sort through them and toss/sell the ones I never listen to anymore, ie Winger, Fastway, Aldo Nova, etc.

I forgot who asked the question. The answer is yes, they are all alphabetised. It's just easier that way for me. Anyone see High Fidelity? The guy in that movie changed the way he sorted his albums all the time. He would go from year released, to record label, to music category, etc. Now thats anal!

[SS]Cuervo
09-18-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by [ss]Traffic
looks alot like a triangle to me, may be i'm missing somthing:confused:

Guys.. you are all wrong.. a TRAINGLE is a 2D shape (3 sides.. TRI).. it is a TETRAHEDRON a type of POLYHEDRAL. How you like that Cham??

[SS]Cuervo
09-18-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by [SS]Jammer

I forgot who asked the question. The answer is yes, they are all alphabetised. It's just easier that way for me. Anyone see High Fidelity? The guy in that movie changed the way he sorted his albums all the time. He would go from year released, to record label, to music category, etc. Now thats anal!

No thats called.. I have no life

[SS]Arkangel
09-18-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by [SS]Steve-O
Ark says:

Adobe Golive

Actually....Snake said that.

NoMaK
09-18-2003, 06:28 PM
mostly everything in my house was built my step-dad ill try and get sum pix and post em.

JESS7
09-18-2003, 07:26 PM
Cuervo, polyhedron, not polyhedral! It's ok to try, but you know how I am...gotta have the last word. lol You're right though, it is a three-dimensional figure called a tetrahedron. It's a Platonic solid, named after the Greek mathematician and philosopher Plato. It might even be an Isosceles Tetrahedron, but I'd have to know it's exact measurements to figure that out.

You know we really should start a general knowledge trivia thread for all of us who really like "showing off" our smarts! lol:D

[SS]Snakebite
09-19-2003, 05:45 PM
Smartie britches!! :p

[SS]Cuervo
09-19-2003, 05:55 PM
Cuervo, polyhedron, not polyhedral! It's ok to try, but you know how I am...gotta have the last word. lol You're right though, it is a three-dimensional figure called a tetrahedron. It's a Platonic solid, named after the Greek mathematician and philosopher Plato. It might even be an Isosceles Tetrahedron, but I'd have to know it's exact measurements to figure that out.

You know we really should start a general knowledge trivia thread for all of us who really like "showing off" our smarts! lol:D

Ill take Biology for $100 please

[SS]Raiden
09-19-2003, 06:01 PM
to hell with the "smarts"
i`m a beta tester, lol

[SS]SportoFu
09-19-2003, 07:07 PM
LMAO @ Raiden

[SS]Steve-O
09-19-2003, 10:13 PM
to hell with the "smarts"

LOL:eek:

Cree8
09-21-2003, 01:40 PM
WordNet Dictionary

Definition: [n] a triangle with one right angle

Synonyms: right-angled triangle

Antonyms: oblique triangle

BAM! I found me some smarts too! how you like that?