PDA

View Full Version : AIRBORNE and anyone else who may be interested

[SS]Rator
03-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Airborne, i know you were talking about doing this with a pic of your grandfather. Let me know if you're still interested. I think the shot you sent me looked very similar to this one. TONS of scrathces and shit on this one. I scanned it, made it black and white, retouched it, then re-colorized it.

Anyone who needs any pics restored, please let me know.

Here's the original and the retouched version will follow...

[SS]Rator
03-08-2004, 01:14 PM
BTW, this is my Fathers father from WW2 in Italy...

[SS]Dr.Who
03-08-2004, 01:33 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man I like the effect of the re-touch. What an awesome original picture though. Tremendous that it looks that good still.................

Airborne............. what is that ribbon on his chest. Looks like what ever he received it for he really did a lot of it. LOL goes completely off the image.................... he must have kicked alot of AZZes............................

[SS]Cuervo
03-08-2004, 01:48 PM
Doc.. the pic Rator posted up is of Rator's gandfather and was using it as an example for Airborne. So your question is more directed towards Rator athan Airborne

[SS]Grunt
03-08-2004, 02:32 PM
dam that is nice!!!!!

[SS]CJ
03-08-2004, 03:16 PM
My guess would be a marksmanship badge. In the Marine Corps, that is the only badge that was like that. If you were a rifle expert, you displayed how many times you were a rifle expert. For example, I had 5th award expert for the rifle and one pistol expert. I only qualified with a pistol once, so there wasn't any 1st award, 2nd award, etc.

Maelos
03-08-2004, 04:19 PM
wow, I wish I could do that....I help with photo editing in other places, but it looks covered here.

Rator = pro

[SS]Rator
03-08-2004, 05:54 PM
LOL thanks guys, yes its MY grandfather and i do believe thats an expert marksman badge. cant tell what eaach one was for, but suffice to say he was a good shot.

<WH>sMoKeOuT
03-16-2004, 10:23 PM
Airborne is on leave guys but I will direct his attention to this thread when he gets back.;)

By the way awsome job on the retouching.Really good work as usual Rator.

[SS]Grifter
03-18-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by [SS]Rator
LOL thanks guys, yes its MY grandfather and i do believe thats an expert marksman badge. cant tell what eaach one was for, but suffice to say he was a good shot.

Prior to 1951 regulation, the titles of the badges were Marksman and 2d Class Gunner; Sharpshooter and First Class Gunner and Expert.

"Qualification or rating badges, a list of specific weapons in which the wearer was qualified were linked below the rating. The number of weapons possible was quite high."

Below, I found a site through some searching, are what Rators Grandfathers badges could possibly be. While the small qualifications badges are difficult to make out, the Sharpshooter badge is quite clear. We can plainly see at least 6 of his qualifications badges, he could have possibly had more. I went through and removed all the "current" badges (things like missile, aeromissile) and tried to get the listing for when he was in service to his country, roughly when that picture was taken, 1944-1945.

*Sharpshooter Badge*
Qualifications badges:

Carbine, Small Bore Rifle, Small Bore Pistol, Submachine Gun, Small Bore MG, Rifle, Machinegun, Pistol, Field Artillery, Grenade, AA Artillery, Tank Weapons, Bayonet, Auto Rifle, flamethrower, 81mm Mortar, 60 mm Mortar, TD 75mm, TD 57mm, TD 3 inch, C.W.S. Weapons, Pistol - M, Pistol - D, Aerial Gunner, Aerial Bomber, Mine Gunner, F.A. Gunner, Inf Howitzer, C.A. Gunner.

I hope I didn't miss any, I tried to find all I could that was available, or had been changed, for that era. I'm not sure on the definition of some of these. Pistol-M, Pistol-D, etc. Some are self explanatory. But in laymans terms. Rators grandfather was a bad motherfucker. Plain and simple.

Where I found the info: http://www.armystudyguide.com/uniforms/badges_tabs/weapon_qualification.htm

Rator, this is for you. It's the other link I couldn't find: http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/howto.shtml

[SS]Rator
03-18-2004, 02:15 PM
Awesome! Thanks Grifter! I am trying to obtain all the documents i need to get both grandfathers' medals.

Thanks again!

<WH>MoToRhEaD
03-18-2004, 05:59 PM
Nice work. Damn your good

[SS]Grunt
03-18-2004, 07:18 PM
your right! I was going to bring Official army regulation but it just like a carbon copy. I had a officer zoom in and try to see the Marksmanship badges and Grift was about right. He couldnt decifer some but, the resources are accurate.

Rator, Remember that site with all those regulations i e-mailed you, it was in there.

SHO NUFF
03-19-2004, 10:51 AM
Nice Job Rator. That picture looks real good.

Weeper
05-28-2004, 09:38 AM
Rator ... what FILTER do you use for the texturing on the RETOUCHED image?

Did you just add NOISE???

[SS]Rator
05-28-2004, 01:06 PM
No Weeper, its different every time. The texture you see on this piece is the texture from the photo paper it was originally prnted on . Once i cleaned it up and sharpened it, the texture came thru/

Weeper
05-28-2004, 01:57 PM
cool