PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Help

Chaoshumor
02-19-2004, 02:06 PM
Hello Everyone:

I was wondering if all you veterans could give a newbie some help. I'm still really new to SOCOM II but I'm already addicted! The only problem is I'm not very good yet and they ranking system has me in with guys that are taking me out within the first minute like I'm a sitting duck! :mad: I love to play on-line but I would actually like to do some damage and actually contribute to the team rather than just be a target. What I was hoping all you seasoned veterans could do is give me some basic pointers, like strategies that I should employee, tactics that will help ramp up the learning curve, maps that I should stick to, weapons that are newbie friendly, etc. I was also wondering which the easier control layout for a newbie, SureShot or PrecisionShooter? The common senario that I get killed in is I've got and enemy running right towards me and they just turn me into swiss cheese before I can really get a decent shot off on them. I'm using the control lay out that I use the R3 for aiming and strafe with the L3, is this going to take me longer to get a shot or do I need lots of practice? Any pointer would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

Chaoshumor.

[SS]Rator
02-19-2004, 02:23 PM
well, yes you need lots of practice. I would recommend you try to spectate as many games as possible. then you can see what others are doing and you can practice imitating them.

Dont run out and start shooting, hide a little, wait for them to come to you, etc. You can use any controller set you you feel comfortable with but keep the following in mind. You will need to be able to jump, lean, shoot, and switch from quick one and quick two weapons on the fly. Some controller setups do NOT let you do these things at the same time or at all.

Good luck, and dont get discouraged. When you first go online, you WILL die. Alot. and then again. I almost quit after the first week.

Keep at it, the skills and kills will come.

Weeper
02-19-2004, 03:31 PM
Try the Precision Shooter settings. It seems to work best all around for Online Play.

Then do as Rator said. Try to spectate some or when you are online after you die watch the other guys, specially the good ones and see what they do. Then ask them for help, hints, tips, etc. Perhaps even follow them and stick with them during the round.

Good Luck!!!

Chaoshumor
02-19-2004, 04:01 PM
Thanks you guys, I really appreciate the input.

What about weapons? Which are your favorites? Also, this is a dumb question, but when would I switch to my pistol versus my rifle? I just figured with the rifle I can easily squeeze off more shots and faster, both are equally deadly at super close range. Are there certain circumstances in which it would be better for me to use my secondary than my primary?

Thanks again everyone for all your input.

Weeper
02-19-2004, 04:23 PM
Stick to the M60 or M14 when starting out. They are both fairly powerful (takes less shots to kill if aimed correctly) and fairly accurate. With the M60 (100 round clip) you don't have to worry about running out of bullets during a firefight too much either or reloading.

You need how to set your grenades as your secondary weapon. You don't need your pistol if you have a Machine Gun, unless you were to run out of ammo for some odd reason. Just always take 2x Ammon.

You would want to keep your pistol as your secondary weapon if you were Sniping (for close combat). The SP-10 is the best out there but its only for Seals. Most people use either the DE-50 or M18 as Terrorists. One has more power (DE50) other allows rapid fire (M18).

Chaoshumor
02-19-2004, 04:29 PM
Which maps would you say are pretty newbie friendly? I keep hearing something about a respawning room, what's that and where can I find those?

[SS]Dr.Who
02-19-2004, 04:44 PM
I use sure-shot setting. It doesnt work for everyone, but I am used to it and thats what I like. I suggest the m-14 or M6Xxx models as my brothers have suggested. As a Terrosist (depending on the map of course) the Auto shotty is a good deal. ALWAYS GET 2X AMMO................... You are new and will eat up ALOT OF AMMO making newby noise. LOL

I think Frostfire, Bitter Jungle, Crossroads, Fish hook are pretty good for learning. You get smaller rooms and lots of places to duck and hide (I preffer to call it AMBUSHING instead of hiding) for protection when being chased.
I suggest learning how to use grenades and PMN's ONLY after becoming proficient with the rifles.

Suggested handguns.... F-57 or SP-10 depending on which team you are on. Both will fire as fast as you squeeze the trigger (M-18 has automatic setting and wastes alot of bullets and has tremendous movement or recoil while shooting multiple rounds).

Good Luck and enjoy the game................. die until you become good!

[SS]Rator
02-19-2004, 05:10 PM
Please dont listen to Doc. He cant throw grenades cause his controller setting wont allow him to have quick 1 and 2 buttons. LOL!

Weeper
02-19-2004, 06:21 PM
How to assign the L1 or L2 button to select a specific weapon in online or single player mode:

Press the R2 button to open your inventory. Scroll to the weapon you want to assign to a hot key and then press L1 or L2 depending on which key you want the weapon assigned to. Press R2 to close your inventory and try pressing your new weapon hotkey.

For example; here's step by step direction to assign the M67 Grenades to the L2 button:

1. Press the R2 button to open your inventory.
2. Scroll through the inventory until M67 is highlighted.
3. Press the L2 button to assign grenade to that button. The phrase "L2 Button" should appear below the grenades in your inventory.
4. Press the R2 button to close your inventory. Now you can switch between grenades and you main weapon by pressing the L2 and L1 buttons.

Chaoshumor
02-19-2004, 06:46 PM
Super Sweet Weeper!!!

It's M-60's and grenades galore for me tonight!!!

I'm going to try those maps that Who suggested (thanks), and see if I can do some damage. :D

So which maps are the respawning ones? And, uh... what exactly does that mean.

Thanks everyone!

[SS]CJ
02-19-2004, 06:57 PM
Respawn rooms will get you the most practice, but they lack a lot of the strategy used in regular games. My controller settings are 7/6/5. 5 being deadzone. Also, try this drill: go into the single player game, choose a map with lots of trees. Find a nice tree, run around in circle, trying to keep your crosshairs on the tree. This gets you used to your own controller settings and helps with aim.

Chaoshumor
02-19-2004, 07:09 PM
CJ - Controller settings? How do I do that? Damn, should have read the instruction book all the way through.:rolleyes:

[SS]ProXimo
02-19-2004, 07:10 PM
The one major error all newbs do is run out shooting when you spot someone. Chances are that if you spot someone and your in a good spot, they did not spot you. Wait, Be patient. Watch what they do and if they run around the corner with their backs to you, follow behind them and don't shoot until you get really close. This will give you better chances at kills than shooting from 100 yards away because you saw someone run across. When you do this, you don't have that good of a chance to kill them and you give your position away.

~~HF~~ Roket
02-19-2004, 08:24 PM
Another important tip, even with the M60, is Remember to reload frequently. I've seen (and done in my noob days) many people forget to relaod and then fun into trouble by running out of ammo at a critical moment. Even some of the best players make this mistake sometimes.

During my noob days I stuck to the M60's and actually learned to counter for the recoil enough that I could get long distance kills with it. Just remember to aim low as it kicks pretty hard or you may find yourself shooting over everyones head.

I use sure shot also, as it just suits me. It's annoying not being able to quick change but we have a few guys in our clan, one in particular, who are deadly with grenades. I try to offer cover while they send in a barrage of grenades.

If you try sniping, and it is a skill many can't master, including myself. Don't stay in the same place to long. It wont take the enemy too long to work our where you are shooting from. Change to your pistol and move on, find a new spot and then go back to sniping.

If you manage to plant a bomb, it's a good idea to drop some smokies around it. That extra few seconds it takes for your opponents to find the bomb, may be enough to ruin there chances of defusing it.

Most players find a weapon they like and stick to it. You can't expect to master any weapon if you use a different one everytime. Also, there is a reason that most people use the M4A1 and AKS 74 (down here they do anyway), it's because they are the best all round assault rifles.

Never follow the same path twice in a row. It amazes me how many players follow the same path everytime, it doesn't take long to learn there routine and you can just sit in one spot and pick them off.

The most important tip is "Don't give up" when you are a noob you will spend alot of time dead. And even later on, you will have bad days. Stick it out, be patient, learn from your mistakes. And of course, Happy Fragging!

Weeper
02-19-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by ~~HF~~ Roket
there is a reason that most people use the M4A1 and AKS 74 (down here they do anyway), it's because they are the best all round assault rifles.

ROKET when you all do get S2 down under, you will find that the weapons have changed. I rarely see anyone use the AKS 74 anymore. The preferred choice of weapons seem to be IW80, M14, M60s, Auto Shotty.

~~HF~~ Roket
02-19-2004, 10:51 PM
Fair enough.

We have to wait a bit longer, just been told it's been delayed till April 2 :mad:

[SS]Grifter
02-20-2004, 11:35 AM
Ok, the first thing that you have to remember is, that unlike SOCOM I, this is now a team oriented game. Meaning, the lone run and gunner isn't going to last very long. The key to winning, even in an open room, is communication and team work. Talk to eachother. Ask the guy in front of you, "Do you see anything?" Be patient. Most especially on the breach maps. Call out locations if you see something. if a particular gun isn't working for you, move on to the next one. But I reccommend trying all the guns, to see for yourself what ones you like. Try the sniper rifles as well....The M87ELR offers the "one shot-one kill" but has a lot of recoil and a slow re-fire rate. The SR-25 (and SR-25SD) offers a faster fire rate for a sniper rifle and not as much recoil, but you'll have to hit your target more than once unless it's a head shot. Another great tip - Get to know the maps. You'll figure out what ones NOT to use a sniper rifle on (Bitter Jungle) and what ones are useful for a sniper rifle (damn near all the rest). Like someone mentioned earlier, move around, don't keep going the same way, switch it up. Move to a rock, stop, wait. Move to bushes, stop, wait. And so on. When you're dead, hit the select button, and see who's doing well. Try "ghosting" that person and watch what they do. The game involves a little bit of skill, and a little bit of luck. Don't get discouraged if you keep dying, you're gonna die. A lot. Everyone dies.

Good luck.

Chaoshumor
02-20-2004, 12:12 PM
Jumped on last night and was trying out some of the advice given here. I used my new log in (Chaoshumor) but didn't enter anything under description in the options menu online. As soon as I jumped into the game I kept getting shot.... BY MY OWN TEAM!!!:mad: Is it possible that by not entering anything on the description section on the options menu online that I was walking around without a name above my head to designate that I was one of the team versus the opposition, having nothing above their heads and indicating they are the opposition? I tried more than one room and on several occasions I kept getting mowed down!

On a better note, the couple of times that I wasn't shot by my own team I did use the M60 (Sweet) and tons of grenades and had them set as my secondary (thank you). I also altered my controls and set them from enson to seal and noticed an increase in responsiveness, but occassionally my guy would continue to creep along after I released the L3.:confused: Over all last night was a 50/50 night. Thanks to everyone here for all the highly useful input, if there is anything further that you feel would be of benefit I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Chaoshumor

Weeper
02-20-2004, 12:33 PM
Set your controller settings to CUSTOM and move the Deadzone setting higher. This will prevent your guy from creeping.

[SS]SportoFu
02-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Chaoshumor
I also altered my controls and set them from enson to seal and noticed an increase in responsiveness, but occassionally my guy would continue to creep along after I released the L3.:confused:
I believe that if you increase your "deadzone" in your seal settings it will stop doing that.
As for your teamates killing you...........not sure. But it has nothing to do with you setting your character description.

Ok, Weeper just beat me to it....:p

[SS]Grifter
02-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Jumped on last night and was trying out some of the advice given here. I used my new log in (Chaoshumor) but didn't enter anything under description in the options menu online. As soon as I jumped into the game I kept getting shot.... BY MY OWN TEAM!!!:mad: Is it possible that by not entering anything on the description section on the options menu online that I was walking around without a name above my head to designate that I was one of the team versus the opposition, having nothing above their heads and indicating they are the opposition?

No, description doesn't mean much. And doesn't do anything regarding the game play or name above your head. Sometimes people get team killed by accident, sometimes people do it on purpose. When you signed on, what was your rank (Ensign, lieutenant, commaner)? People will just TK people that have an ensign bar, or if someone that has a Star next to their name (indicating an Admiral) they will do it to them as well. If you have a Star under a new name, it just means that you haven't played enough yet to determine a rank. After an hour or so, you'll be given a rank. if people keep doing it, then move to a new room. Those players are just idiots then.

Chaoshumor
02-20-2004, 01:21 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah, it was the first time I used this log in so the first round I didn't have a rank, but at the end when I finally got tired of being killed by my own team I noticed that i was already a Lieutenant (I guess they promote anyone ;) ). I'll try again tonight and hopefull I'll have better results.

I'll adjust my 'dead zone' as suggested to reduce my 'creeping'.

Thanks everyone!:D

Chaoshumor

[SS]CJ
02-20-2004, 05:06 PM
Chaos, in order to adjust deadzone, you must do it before you go online. It's under options. From options, go to controller settings I believe.

P.S. everybody starts out a lieutenant.

[SS]Grifter
02-20-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by [SS]CJ
P.S. everybody starts out a lieutenant.

Heh....I didn't....I started this one off at Ensign and had to work my way up....lol

[SS]CJ
02-20-2004, 05:26 PM
Grifter, that's because when you started, nobody was under 1000 points. Everybody starts off with 1000 points. Now, since you've started S2, some people really suck (or tk on purpose), so there score is below 1000. It's really hard to stay as an ensign nowadays.

Chaoshumor
02-20-2004, 06:46 PM
I just wish they would allow people like me to enter into the ensign level instead of with all these people who pick me off like I'm wearing some giant neon target. It's hard to practice and get good when you are dead most of the time.:(

[SS]Rator
02-20-2004, 06:49 PM
want some advice? start a clan. get your friends into it and recruit them. this way you can have practices and set up a private room and say ok, you 5 guys just run around and im gonna try and shoot you, just dont shoot back at me . that way you can get some good practice without stress.

Have you played the single player game yet?

If not. you need to. when youre done with it, you will have a way better feel for it.

[SS]Deadeye-R
02-21-2004, 03:41 PM
Chaos, I will give you every peice of advice I think you will need. Sorry if some of it is repeat.

1. There are ENSIGN ONLY ROOMS. They are at the top of the servers list when you log on. If you want to play people more at your skill level.

2. DON"T listen to Doc on the controller setting. I use Scout, or maybe its precision. I can't remember. It may feel a bit awkward but it is way more functional, and will allow you to use your skills the best.

3. In the options menu it may be to your advantage to keep your look speed slow, as well as your accelaration. Go to custom, set the sliders back ALL the way left. I use six clicks to the right on both my look speed and acceleration. This will give you enough stability to aim in on the spot. But, it does disallow quick turn arounds. Just hope that you get them before they get past you. Also, this setting is perfect for run and gun, AND is fast enough to track running enemies when sniping.

4. Map knowledge is almost more important than your skills. Play one map all day and learn every nook and cranny of it. You need to know the good hiding spots, and what directions you should be facing.

5. Play with good people. There is nothing that can make you better than to watch and learn from the vets.

6. Gunfights: when you are in a full frontal gun fight with an enemy DO NOT stand still. Move left and right like a boxer does. Sometimes when an enemy does this to me I will stop moving and take aim. It can throw them off a bit.

7. Always make sure your QUICK SELECTIONS are set properly. As Weeper said, you want your quick 2 set to grenades when using and auto. Always have your quick 2 set to your handgun when sniping. You need that back up weapon if you get in close quarter combat.

8. Don't be afraid to hide and ambush. I know there is nothing more than guys trying to vote you off when you are the last guy and you are hiding. But think about it this way, they're all dead, and you are their last hope. They have no reason to be angry except that they are being dicks.

I could go on and on. This game is complex, and it takes TONS of practice to be a good player. Most of us have been playing since the beginning of S1 and we are still learning. Enjoy the HUGE learning curve

Chaoshumor
02-22-2004, 12:22 PM
Greetings Gentlemen!

Well I jumped on yesterday morning and took all the advice that was posted. Adjusted my controls to some of the suggested settings, grabbed my (now) trusty M60, a ton of granades, and entered several rooms. The first one I tried was Fish Hook, I did alright, got a couple of kills, but a few times of course I was mowed down. At least no one from my own team killed me this time! :D Then I found a respawning room! That was cool! It was based on Vigelence and talk about tons of places to hide! I actually got some good kills in this one. I actually picked some one off at a distance with my M60 by just spraying the area at full auto! The poor guy didn't have any have enough area to run and his back was to me! :p It was great! Of course I was killed, but on a few of them I took them down with me. One such case I was preparing to toss a grenade and was shot in the back. Well I dropped the grenade and guess what the guy who shot me walked up to inspect his kill and BAM!!! Took him out! :D I thought I was addicted before, but now that I'm actually getting a couple of kills hear and there, I'm trying to figure ways of getting more play time in!

THANKS TO EVERYONE for the great advice, it has really helped out.

Chaoshumor
02-23-2004, 01:10 PM
Good Morning All!

Well I was able to jump yesterday. And further test out the advice I have been receiving. I'm starting to really like those respawning rooms, I'm able to get lots of practice. The first one I tried yesterday I didn't like though. It was based on the Frost Fire Map, I went in with my M60 and tons of grenades. I walked behind some guy and proceeded to unload on him. As soon as I shot him he darted off, so I gave chance shooting the whole time (in the back is a little dirty, but I'm a new ;) ). I couldn't believe it, I unloaded a whole clip and he kept running! I eventually caught on that in this respawning room, there was no killing.

I went on to the next respawning room based on the Vigalence Map. This seemed better, I ran around got a few kills but began to notice that the SEAL opposition (I was a terrorist unfortunately) was really good. These guys weren't newbies like myself these were guys that have obviously been playing for a while and went into this room to get some target practice. At one point they were even hiding out near the respawning points and picking me off as soon as I reappeared. I was able to kill a couple of them but it quickly lost it's appeal when they out numbered my team and were clearly far more skilled.

I went onto another respawning room based on the Chain Reaction Map. This was a little more like it. The teams were smaller allowing me to move around a bit, and there were lots of little spots for me to duck in and out of. But I notice one of the inherent flaws of my (as they put it on another forum) "Newbie Cannon"/M60. Yes I have tons of ammo, yes I have some serious fire power, but my accuracey for long distance is zilch! I would be posted on one of the cat walks and I would see somebody from the opposition running on the opposite side on a cat walk as well. I would put my cross-hairs roughly where they were and just unload. Well obviously since I don't have a scope I could really get a perfect shot. :mad: It was great if I could see them up close, but if they were too far my accuracey greatly decreased. This has lead me to my decision to move on to a new weapon. I am now debating on which to move onto. I need something that will allow me to waste some ammo (which I will do for a while since I'm still realtively new), have some serious kill ability and a scope so I can make my occasional long distance hit.

Which leads me to my next questions....:D What would fit that criterion? Which weapon has some serious power, decent amount of ammo, and a scope so I can pick people off at a distance if the opportunity arises? Thanks again to everyone for taking my game to the next level. :D

Chaoshumor

Chaoshumor
02-26-2004, 04:05 PM
Wow! We been down for a couple of days and I know that I've been having withdrawls. ;) Well I've a few more opportunities to put to use some of the wonderful advice that I have received here and I've begun to determine what sort of player that I'm going to be!:)

I've found what kind of gun that I prefer, anything that can go full auto and has a scope like the M4A1 SD. I like the fact that it's got a silencer so that people won't be able to find where I'm shooting from as easily since it's considerable quieter than a non-silenced rifle. I also like the scope because I've determined that I'm a sneaky/opportunistic player :D . I'm not a good rusher/run and gunner because I always get shot quick. So I sneak around look for movement and then try to get a little closer for a decent shot. I also like to snipe the snipers. But best of all is that lovely rocket launcher. I just absolutely love that thing. Talk about the ultimate equalizer. :D

I've been spending lots of time on the respawning map that is based on the Vigelence map and I'm getting to know it fairly well (as was advised here). There are lots of good areas to snipe from and sneak around. I also been on Chain Reaction a bit and that one is great as well, but there aren't as many places to hide and I have to do a lot of confrontation, which I'm about 50/50 on. I think that what I need to do is get into a clan or when I first start a game get a partner to double up with me so that we can watch each other's backs. With the technique I'm developing I tend to sit in one spot for a couple of minutes looking for movement to try and pick someone off, but since I'm sitting in one spot people will walk up right behind me without my know (or discovering too late) and just pop me. I'm also debating on if I want to go full fledge sniper or continue down my 50/50 path. If I do go full sniper I'll have to get good with the hand guns as well.

Well everyone, thanks to all the input here I have increased my game and even evolved into a different player, I've even gotten some really sweet kills :D , and it's thanks to eveyone here. Thanks eveyone.

Chaoshumor

Badger
02-26-2004, 05:52 PM
Sound to me Chaos that you have the patience to become a sniper, if you want some help developing your sniping skills feel free to come by West 4 or 5 and drop in for a lesson or 2. We have a division in the Wolfhounds that is completely dedicated to sniping, anyone of us would gladly help you out. Just make sure if I'm not there to mention that I said to drop by.;)

[SS]SportoFu
02-26-2004, 06:02 PM
Yeah Chaos, I used to be ALL run & gun in Socom1. But since the release of S2, I have been doing a LOT more sniping, and I really enjoy it. It has created an entirely new aspect to my game. Although I still have my maps where I am better suited to carry an auto rifle, I think that you should be able to do both. I like to switch between them so as to keep the enemy guessing. Snipe a couple rounds, then charge at them with an auto. It usually takes them by surprise.
Also, if you do want to learn to snipe, take Badger up on his offer. I know a few of those guys are incredible with the rifle. And if they aren't around, we have a few great snipers as well. I'm sure everyone will be more than helpful.
Geez, I wish I had all this help when I started playing this game. LOL.

[SS]SportoFu
02-26-2004, 06:07 PM
Btw.......Sup Badger! :D

Badger
02-26-2004, 08:49 PM
Sup Sporto, thanks for the compliment. So you're sniping now????.....great..... now I have to watch out for you in either situation......thats not playing fair;) We'll hook up soon.

Chaoshumor
02-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Sorry gentlemen, still showing my newbieness, but how would I go about dropping in for a lesson? I would gladly accept any instruction that is offered.

So do you guys use sniper rifles or do you take assault rifles with scopes so that you can do both, sniping and run & gun? When I'm a terrorist I usually take the 552 and the M2A1 SD as a seal since they both go auto and both have scopes. The only problem is when I try to snipe people it usually takes a couple of shots or a well placed head shot.

Thanks all, this has become a treasure trove of great information for any newbie. :D

Chaoshumor

Badger
02-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Sorry gentlemen, still showing my newbieness, but how would I go about dropping in for a lesson? I would gladly accept any instruction that is offered.

So do you guys use sniper rifles or do you take assault rifles with scopes so that you can do both, sniping and run & gun? When I'm a terrorist I usually take the 552 and the M2A1 SD as a seal since they both go auto and both have scopes. The only problem is when I try to snipe people it usually takes a couple of shots or a well placed head shot.
Chaoshumor

Well you could just go to West 4 or 5 and look for a room name with our <WH> tag in front of it. Or you could registar on our forums and set something up there www.clan-wh.com/forums

As for if we carry automatics such as the M4A1, IW-80, 552, RA-14 (all rifles with scopes) we do sometimes however we are snipers and we will use the M87ELR (Seal sniper rifle) or the M82 (terrorists sniper rifle) 95% of the time. For actually sniping there is no 2 better guns in the game, they have the best combination of range and stopping power, normally it only takes 1 shot to bring someone down. The rate of fire on these weapons are extremely slow you you will definitely have to become very proficent with a hand gun if you decide to go that route.

[SS]SportoFu
02-27-2004, 07:48 PM
Yeah, if you're sniping those ARE the best guns. It is possible to get a 1 shot kill by zooming in with an RA-14, but it has to be a perfect headshot.......pretty tough, I think I did it ONCE.
What I meant by switching it up was, if the sniping works a couple rounds and they catch on and take you out, I will switch to an automatic while dead and rush for a round or two, then switch back.
It's all about keeping your enemy guessing. ;)

And yes, the real trick to sniping is using your hangun in close quarter combat. Usually against an M60. It's deffinately something you HAVE to practice.

Badger
02-27-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by [SS]SportoFu
What I meant by switching it up was, if the sniping works a couple rounds and they catch on and take you out, I will switch to an automatic while dead and rush for a round or two, then switch back.

I think this is where you and I differ Sporto, if I get killed I make it my mission to get the SOB that shot me, call it stupid if you want but I prefer to call it cocky:D

Maelos
02-29-2004, 12:07 AM
Yeah, sniping is a lot of fun, and you do need some pistol skills of you are using the M87 or M82. I was assigned to be 1 of 3 clan snipers, so I could say I have some experience. The most important thing to me was to always remember

"sniper code": ....besides 1 shot 1 kill
NEVER BECOME PREDICTABLE- obviously my #1, I always love to get the sniper who continually goes to the same 3-4 spots. Its the only reason I got capitan from sniping. I am currently more of a ["cant use anything but silenced"/m14] player :rolleyes: , but I always enjoy eating the noob snipers.

Be Creative - look for new spots, try and "become the enemy", imagine where they would be and prepare for the worst.

Use your range- nothing saddens me more that seeing someone try and win a point blank competition with a 1 shot sniper and win. They should never have had to get that close! Long roads (crossraods) and open fields (foxhunt) are very different places to snipe. Crossroads is very easy to "shut down" their options by sniping an alley, but it is easier for them to get behind you, while Foxhunt is almost impossible to snipe the whole area without letting one through.

TEAMWORK - as I said before, depending on the situation the sniper may have a chance to escape. I would STRONGLY RECCOMEND grabbing someone you know, or talk to, and getting them to help you out. Almost evey "good spot" in the game has a way around it. Just having 1 person guard your back can make a world of difference. Even if its another sniper 100 yards away, having the 2 seconds to react make a difference.

Pistol Skillz - nothing really hard to explain here. Get good at your pistol. Reason being:
Long range attack = sniper rifle
medium = grenade
short (sometimes most used) = pistol
I came from a heavy MGS background and am used to aiming for headshots, but it may take a while for others.

P.S. - You will usually have a better sight than teamates, so be prepared to call the bogies out! I would rather call out the enemy position then get hit exposing mine!