PDA

View Full Version : It's not real woodworking, but close

[SS]CJ
08-21-2003, 01:47 PM
I just finished this sub box for a friend of mine. He wanted something to look cool in the back of his 2002 Camero. I haven't heard it yet, but at least it looks good sittin in the back.

Each 8" sub has it's own sealed compartment. All 4 subs are run by one Rockford Fosgate amp. The speakers are wired series-parallel.

[SS]Steve-O
08-21-2003, 02:35 PM
very nice.

[SS]Vindica8r
08-21-2003, 03:34 PM
sweet

[SS]Snakebite
08-22-2003, 09:09 AM
I like it. I used to be really into that stuff. Had a couple of 12" Pioneer IMPP's with a 1000 watt amp in a bandpass box. Sold it for $200 cause it kept making things rattle in my truck. :D

[SS]Cuervo
08-22-2003, 01:45 PM
Looks sweet Jammer.. been looking to do some custom job for my 98 Qx4

JESS7
08-22-2003, 05:56 PM
I had those in my vehicle, remember Snake? You guys wouldn't believe how popular a teacher can be when she can rattle the walls of the school with her speakers! lol

[SS]CJ
08-25-2003, 03:33 AM
Good luck Cuervo. While I really like having a good sound system for my truck, it was a big pain doing the install job myself. I was sitting on a plastic milk crate for 3 weeks while I did it. I had nothing in the cab at all. No seats, carpet, door panels, back seat, window buttons, mirror adj buttons, console.

[SS]Vindica8r
08-25-2003, 03:38 AM
damn jammer i was atrunker for a wile custom in stalls out of a garge one day 1 week to build custom thump boxs (a friend andi came up with that) instal and test C give me a couple of months we might be moving back east

[SS]Cuervo
08-25-2003, 11:52 AM
Let me know Vin.. im in no rush

<WH>sMoKeOuT
08-25-2003, 02:00 PM
I got two 10 inch sub made by JL audio.I got the w6's by the way.Also a 1100 watt Rockford amp.I love my car.I spend way to much money on that thing but hey I like nice things.

I am goin to eventially rip out my back seats and buy a fiberglass box that matchs the color of my car.That way the bass will be right behind my head !!!!

WH CORPSE
08-25-2003, 03:57 PM
ya smokie wont be able to hear us on the mics after about a month of driving his car after he does all that lol

[SS]Arkangel
08-25-2003, 10:56 PM
I rock the Hyundai stock...maybe a real system would sound better?

[SS]CJ
08-26-2003, 03:05 AM
Here's what I have running in my 97 F-150 extended cab 4x4:

I pulled the small rear seat and made an upward firing box that is 2 inches shorter than the factory seat. There are two 12" Rockford Fosgates in there. I put some spacer blocks on top and mounted a piece of particle board on top after I put padding and carpet on it. Basically, you can't tell that its not the stock rear seat. I have two 8" mid/bass drivers in the rear, they are in the original factory speaker location. I have 3 speakers in each door panel. There are 4" mid/high range speakers in the factory location. Originally, there were 2 map holder spaces towards the bottom of each door. I sacrificed one and put 5 1/4" Altec Lansing seperates there. I fabricated a carpeted cover to fit where the opening was and installed the tweeters. The passive crossover is in there as well. I have a mini-disc deck that also controls a 10 disc cd changer in the back. The RCA outputs from the deck go to an active electronic crossover network. The elec crossover is mounted in the center console. It's riveted in so a potential thief is gonna have a bitch of a time gettin it out. I have a 4 channel amp running all 6 door speakers. That is also mounted in the center console. I mounted all my amps with nylon locking nuts and bolts. It takes 2 ppl for R&R. I have a smaller amp running the 8" mid/bass drivers in back which is mounted under the drivers seat. I have 2/3/4 channel amp mounted under the passenger seat which drives the two 12" subs. It's bridged to mono and each sub has its own space (1.0 cubic foot apiece). It took 3 weeks because all rca cables, power wires, ground wires, etc are under the carpet. The RCA's and power/ground wires are seperate and do not cross at all. The electronic crossover has a remote gain dial (basically a bass boost) that is mounted under the dash (near steering column) which was a royal pain. The theme for this install was to make it appear that I didn't have a system at all. The only thing that gives it away is an aftermarket head unit. This was the first car stereo system that I took my time on and did all at once. Most of my other systems have been hack jobs that I didn't take my time on. I would add a component here and there, with the hope of it sounding good.

Anyway, sorry for the long post.

P.S. I'm already planning some basic modifications to what I have now.

<WH>sMoKeOuT
08-26-2003, 01:58 PM
Damn sounds awsome!!! Only thing is I don't like Rockford speakers.The bass is too much for me.I like a sharp sounding bass .I have noticed Fockfords have a long carried out bass that too annoying for me.But to bass fanatics its great.

Have you ever tried useing JL Audio's Jammer?I bet you would love W6's in your truck.In my oppinion its one of the best speakers out there.But they cost alot of cash.I spent about 400 bucks on each speaker.

[SS]CJ
08-26-2003, 11:01 PM
I agree that the Fosgates are a bit much. I have the amp thats running them turned WAY down on the gain. Also, I have my head unit bass control turned down to about 25%.

With the exception of my head unit, nothing I have is high end stuff. The only reason I paid so much for the head unit is because it's the only one that I could find that played mini-discs. It has high-power capabilities but they aren't being used. My theory is that with a really clean install job, you can get a Kraco to sound good. My friend has a larger, more expensive set up in his car, yet mine sounds cleaner and better than his.

I have seen some stuff by JL Audio. They look really cool and probably sound good to, but I can't justify the cost. Especially when I can get my stuff to sound good and clean.

<WH>sMoKeOuT
08-26-2003, 11:37 PM
You make a good point.I also have all my stuff turned down to about 25 %.More comfortable to drive with.Well you sound like you got a nice system.One day I will get rid of this ugly box and do a custom install job.I can't wait.