PDA

View Full Version : Tarantino

[SS]Sabotage
02-25-2011, 08:12 PM
This is for CJ.

All those movies you claimed to not like... Are all amazing. From a filmmaker's perspective I loved them, loved them all. Grindhouse was weird and was purposely weird, but it was also genius because of how greatly pieced together it was. I've talked to SO many people who have the same exact opinion as you and Midnight, but I also see why. Tarantino is a filmmaker for other filmmakers I guess.

Just thought I'd move this to the proper thread.

[SS]Chief
02-26-2011, 02:06 AM
Well, Sab I'll jump on the Tarantino bandwagon. I think he does some wonderful things. Obviously 'Reservoir Dog' was awesome. He makes watching a movie entertaining for me. I get bored of the boy meets girl. Boy falls in love with girl. Boy and girl fight. They get back together...make babies; The End.

Pulp Fiction changed the whole way a storyline goes. He looped it between present, past and future. I thought it was genius. A bit like 'Memento' did in 2000. Another great movie of telling the story.

His last movie Inglorious Bastards was a Jewish boys wet dream....I thought it was brilliant. He's a storyteller and I enjoy how his stuff doesn't follow the cookie cuter way of Hollywood. Trust me, I get tired of seeing repeated movies over and over again. For example like this summer:

Battle: Los Angeles – This theme has been done time and again.

Thor – Working toward the Avenger’s movie. I do enjoy these…however; they’re getting a bit old

Something Borrowed – Girl meets Boy. Let’s Boy go with best friend….ahhh, done over and over again.

Jumping the Broom – Rinse--Repeat.

The Beaver – Seriously. Mel Gibson talking with a Beaver on his hand? He needed that the night he was arrested.

Everything Must Go – Dysfunctional family. Guy sells his positions that he loves to set himself free. Boring!

There Be Dragons – Looks very lame-o

Bridesmaids – Female version of the Hangover

The First Grader – Feel good movie

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides– Just continuing to make more money off the series….

The Hangover 2 – Yep, it’s going to be the same.

Kung Fu Panda 2 – Same stuff

The Tree of Life – Okay…now for me, this looks good. That’s just me

X-Men: First Class Beginners – Yes….continuing the series

The Last Mountain – Okay this is going on in my back yard. I’ll watch it, but with an open mind.

Green Lantern – One of four superhero movies of the summer

Transformers: Dark of the Moon – Continuing to get moneys…

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II – I just hope that Harry can finally get laid…damn.

Captain America: The First Avenger – Getting the Avenger story together. And yes…another superhero movie for the payout.

Friends with Benefits – Same cookie cutter story.

Cowboys and Aliens – Something different? I think not. Same story as ‘Outlander’ ..where he crash landed during Viking times. Repeat.

Crazy, Stupid, Love – Same story….

Don’t get me wrong. I’m just as guilty of watching these movies as the next guy. I help give them what they want (a payday). But I enjoy films that make me think or give a crazy twist that I didn’t see from the very start. I believe that Tarantino does that…Wow, that was a long way to go to agree with myself.

[SS]Midnight
02-26-2011, 02:47 AM
Wow Chief you sound really burnt out on movies.

Sab I like a few of the Tarantino movies. But that guy is just so twisted/messed up in the head that I can not stomach some of his "genius" is some of you call it. He has great talent no doubt. But he goes too far into sick and twisted. And then he goes a few more miles.

[SS]Chief
02-26-2011, 10:35 AM
No Midnight...I love movies! I just feel like Hollywood has run out of original ideas from time-to-time. They (Hollywood) do remakes, sequels whatever marketing will give them. Trust me, I'm just as guilty of buying into it like the next person. But sometimes, I just get tired of the junk out there.

Which brings me full circle back to the subject at hand. Tarantino gives me, IMO changes from the norm....I guess that's what I was referring too in the above screed.

[SS]Showstoper
02-26-2011, 12:23 PM
The series Lost, if you asked me, are borrowed concepts from Tarantino. I like all his movies and I agree with Chief, when you watch his movies, you know there's going to be a twist somewhere.

[SS]Grifter
02-26-2011, 01:56 PM
There are directors - and then there are artistic directors. Tarintino is an artistic director - no doubt, hands down (this is not to be confused with Art Director).

He's not George Lucas. Tarintino's focus is to deliver the story in an artistic fashion...Hence movies like Pulp Fiction, Resevoir Dogs, etc. His selling point is to not just tel lthe story, but tell it in a way that either works like a comic book (Pulp Fiction) or use the retro look (Death Proof)...Which by the way, anyone 35 and older will remember the old "grindhouse" movies at the drive in....

Do I think Tarintino is offbeat? Maybe a little off his rocker? Just not right in the head? Yea. But if he's not - then there is no Pulp Fiction, Resevoir Dogs, Sin City or Inglourious Basterds (which I have not seen, but heard is rather good).

[SS]Midnight
02-26-2011, 03:30 PM
The talent is there. No doubt. But I can't help cringing as I wait for what sick twisted (and usually sexually twisted) thing he forces into his movies. It is because of that I don't think his movies are any better than the remakes. It's like there are about 10 min of footage in his movies that if he did not put them in his movies would be more widely accepted and the movies themselves would not lose anything for the loss of those 10 min. of sick and twistedness.

I have watched Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction. They are movies that I appreciated but have no desire to ever watch again. Rather I look forward to most of the movies Chief listed above instead.

[SS]SportoFu
02-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Sexually twisted? As in the gimp from pulp fiction I guess.

Everything he touches is GOLD Jerry. Writer/ Director/ Producer, I've seen almost everything he's done or been involved in. Even movies in his "collection" he recommends to watch are pretty good. They're all based off old school style movie making and mixing genres.
And nowadays gore is getting more graphic in every movie. Hollywood has desensitised us to the point that it's hard to gross people out these days. Except Midnight I guess lol.

I agree 100% with Chief. Hollywood is dry and scrounging for material to make movies about, hense all the comic books, video games, remakes, sequels, blah blah blah. Any origional ideas out there? Helloooo? No? Ok. Oh herro Quintin, thank god your back.
Kill Bill Vol 3- 2014? Let's go. Aldo Raine in an Apocalypse Now/ Pulp Fiction mix up Vietnam movie. Let's go. Get to work Tarantino.

[SS]Chief
02-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Shit I almost forgot the most anticipated movie of the year 'Breaking Dawn'! Which will be shown in two parts, much like the Harry Potter finally. For the Benjamin's of course...

You had me at *whispers* Vampire......

Disclaimer: The above comments were solely made out of jest. I'm not truly counting down the days till 11-18-11 to view said movie (however, if you have a mac and use widgets here's (http://www.newmoonmovie.org/2010/06/breaking-dawn-countdown-widget-combined-new-moon-twilight-saga-news-widget/) one for you). I feel bad enough that I read all four books...and no, I'm not gay. But I do enjoy movies with Gladiator's in them....

[SS]CJ
02-27-2011, 04:58 PM
I understand Tarantino's appeal. Heck, I used to love his stuff. For several years I listed Resevoir Dogs as my favorite all time movie.

After a while though his stuff is all the same. Just like the rest of hollywood that people are bashing.

Grindhouse - Yes, I understand the genre. I didn't like the movie though. I didn't like the style. I still liked Tarantino at that point but it was starting to fade.

IG - I just thought it was stupid. I purchased the movie but I never finished it. If I don't like a movie I can generally gut through it and just finish watching it but not this time. I couldn't even do that with IG. About 1/2 way through I took it out of my blu ray player. It went from there to the garbage.

Maybe its just that I'm getting older and I don't fall for the same stuff as I used to.

Maybe its because I watched and listened to several interviews with him. I thought he was a dick, douchebag, full of himself, conceited, weirdo. He tries to explain what he's doing in a certain film and he comes across as an idiot.

For now, I don't care for his stuff. I'll probably watch his next film though. Who knows, I might even like it and change my mind.