PDA

View Full Version : Tragic with a funny...

[SS]Midnight
11-15-2010, 07:09 PM
The story is tragic for sure. But I could not help but bust out laughing when I saw the name....

At least 32 killed in building collapse in Indian capital
From Harmeet Shah Singh, CNN
November 15, 2010 3:16 p.m. EST
Rescuers try to free people trapped under a collapsed building in Delhi.
Rescuers try to free people trapped under a collapsed building in Delhi.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* At least another 40 people are injured
* Collapse apparently caused by heavy monsoon rains
* Up to two dozen people may be trapped, fire chief says

RELATED TOPICS

* India

New Delhi, India -- At least 32 people were killed and another 40 were hurt when a five-story residential building collapsed Monday night in the Indian capital, an official said.

Rescue efforts were under way to free another two dozen people who may be trapped, Delhi Fire Service Chief R.C. Sharma told CNN.

But numbers were unclear: Police Commissioner B.K. Gupta told CNN sister network CNN-IBN that 89 people were injured in the collapse. And New Delhi municipal spokesman Deep Mathur said fire officials estimated that as many as 20 people could still be trapped.

Video from the scene showed residents digging through debris with construction equipment. Rescuers carried dust-covered victims to waiting vehicles.

The building apparently collapsed because its foundations had weakened after exposure to water from this year's heavy monsoons, said City Municipal Spokesman Deep Mathur and Chief Minister of New Delhi Sheila Dikshit. The structure was situated closely to the Yamuna River that flows through New Delhi.

"I believe it's an unauthorized building," Dikshit said. "I believe there was water in the bottom of the basement for many days."

She expressed sympathy for the families of the dead and promised to "inquire into the causes of the tragedy."