PDA

View Full Version : I have a question about a career in video games.

IBALZIMissBecca
08-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Hey, I have been really thinking about what I want my career to be after high school, and I want to get into making video games and designing them and all that. I would like to know more about it and how to start. So does anyone know?

Bassani
08-16-2010, 04:08 PM
I think part of it depends on exactly what you want to do, I'll see if I can grab something up for you though.

btw, welcome to the boards =)

[SS]Rator
08-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Welcome! And here's a school for VG design...

http://www.fullsail.edu

DatGuy
08-16-2010, 06:15 PM
I work in video games.

Its not an easy field to get into. Alot of it has to do with location, be willing to move. No one is going to hire an entry level person from the other side of the country.

anybody can get into doing QA as long as you have good communication skills and solid knowledge of computers. If you have any game companies near you try applying for internships or something like that over the summer.

Alot of the for profit schools that teach game design charge too much and under-deliver. So if you are planning on going to one of them, REALLY check it out first. I'm sure they will give tours and such.

Above all else, LOVE video games and know what you are talking about. If you are in an interview and they ask you something like, "Name a design aspect of MW2 that you disagree with and how would you change it?". Don't say, "The multiplayer is shitty because it lags". Say something like, "I would change killstreaks, it really takes away from the game when you have 3 killstreaks up in the air killing everything on the ground. To change this I would limit the ability to have multiple killstreaks active at any one time."

and its all about the love of games. You should learn stuff on your spare time, such as level editing. Here is a link to the unreal editor, its free http://www.udk.com/

there are many tutorials on the web that can get you started with that.

Hope that helps, I may have rambled a bit

AEJustin1
08-16-2010, 09:28 PM
very well said there DAT