PDA

View Full Version : RIP

[SS]Wally
05-16-2010, 11:26 PM
I don't know if any of you feel this in inappropriate, but after hearing about Mr. Ronnie James Dio passing, I had to post my regrets.

An amazing talent, he is now playing an encore in hell.

MAY 16th 2010

LOS ANGELES - Ronnie James Dio, whose soaring vocals, poetic lyrics and mythic tales of a never-ending struggle between good and evil broke new ground in heavy metal, died Sunday, according to a statement from his wife and manager. He was 67.

Dio revealed last summer that he was suffering from stomach cancer shortly after wrapping up a tour in Atlantic City, N.J., with the latest incarnation of Black Sabbath, under the name Heaven And Hell.

"Today my heart is broken," Wendy Dio wrote on the singer's site, adding he died at 7:45 a.m. "Many, many friends and family were able to say their private goodbyes before he peacefully passed away.

"Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all," Wendy Dio continued. "We so appreciate the love and support that you have all given us ... Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever."

The statement was confirmed by Los Angeles publicist Maureen O'Connor. Dio was being treated at a Houston hospital, according to his site.

Though Dio had recently undergone his seventh chemotherapy treatment, he was hopeful to perform again. Earlier this month, Heaven And Hell canceled its summer tour, but Dio did not view being sidelined as a permanent thing.

"Wendy, my doctors and I have worked so hard to make it happen for all of you, the ones we care so much about, that this setback could be devastating, but we will not let it be," he said in a statement. "With your continued love and support, we ... will carry on and thrive. There will be other tours, more music, more life and much more magic."

Read more: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/37180773/ns/today-entertainment/#ixzz0o9aJysMw

[SS]Chief
05-17-2010, 01:34 PM
I don't find it inappropriate. He rocked it during my early years...and will continue to live on through his music!

KAIZER SOSA
05-18-2010, 01:00 AM
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio

Holy Diver is one of the best Heavy Metal albums in history...

[SS]Hobo
05-18-2010, 05:49 AM
R.I.P. Dio \m/ (-_-) \m/

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/64coD-rx9sk&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/64coD-rx9sk&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Holy Diver was a good album (Holy Diver, Rainbow in the Dark, and Stand up and Shout)

Chenzo
05-19-2010, 11:21 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1eTAzYjbKm4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1eTAzYjbKm4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

[SS]Wally
03-23-2011, 09:38 AM
Screen legend Elizabeth Taylor dies at 79
Academy Award-winning actress succumbs to heart failure

Hollywood legend Elizabeth Taylor, who
went from child star to screen siren, died
Wednesday in Los Angeles from congestive
heart failure. She was 79. Her children were
at her side when she died.

Taylor had been in Cedar-Sinai Medical
Center in Los Angeles for about six weeks.

Taylor first gained stardom as a child and
appeared in more than 50 films. She won
Oscars for her performances in "Butterfield
8" and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"

She was equally famous for extraordinary
beauty and her stormy personal life,
including eight marriages and a series of
physical ailments.

In later years, she was a spokeswoman for
humanitarian causes, notably AIDS research.
That work gained her a special Oscar in

"My Mother was an extraordinary woman
who lived life to the fullest, with great
passion, humor, and love," said her son,
Michael Wilding, in a statement. "Though her
loss is devastating to those of us who held
her so close and so dear, we will always be
inspired by her enduring contribution to our
world. Her remarkable body of work in film,
her ongoing success as a businesswoman,
and her brave and relentless advocacy in the
fight against HIV/AIDS, all make us all incredibly
proud of what she accomplished.
We know, quite simply, that the world is a
better place for Mom having lived in it. Her
legacy will never fade, her spirit will always
be with us, and her love will live forever in
our hearts."

[SS]Sabotage
03-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Damn... RIP.

[SS]Wally
04-05-2012, 05:06 PM
RIP Jim Marshall

Jim Marshall Dies; Rock Heaven Cranks Amps to 11

Guitar players are precious about their sound. And as the music industry has become increasingly digitized around them—from million-dollar recording equipment to such questionable innovations as Auto-Tune—hardcore guitarists, however, still adhere to curiously old-fashioned, analog systems. No computer, it seems, is capable of replicating the raw punch of a guitar and its amplifier.

This is in large part due to the ingenuity of Jim Marshall, a former drummer from London who, in the early 1960s, created the boxy, Marshall JTM 45 amplifier, which has risen high on the stage behind head-banging rock bands in “stacks” ever since—and deeply altered the sound of popular music. He died yesterday at age 88 after suffering from cancer and multiple strokes.

“The news of Jim Marshall passing is deeply saddening,” tweeted Slash, the guitarist from Guns N’ Roses. “R & R will never be the same w/out him. But, his amps will live on FOREVER!”

When not plugged in, an electric guitar is a lifeless organism. It’s the additional stuff—the “kits” comprised of pedals, effects, and most importantly, amplifiers—that work together to create unique sounds such as distortion. (To this day, bands place microphones in front of amplifiers on the stage so larger audiences can hear.) The Marshall—a booming box with a distinct, full-bodied sound—helped usher in decades of hard rock, with such feverish devotees as Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin, Angus Young of AC/DC, and Kurt Cobain of Nirvana.

In a 2003 interview with Premier Guitar magazine, Marshall attributed the success of his company to his employees, distributors, and dealers. But “most of the people in the worldwide Marshall family are musicians,” he said. “And I’ve always said that musicians should rule the world! After all, music is the most common language. … We probably wouldn’t have wars either—just battles of the bands.”

Marshall’s products earned him the nickname, “The Father of Loud.” Over the years, the U.K.-based Marshall Amplification sold thousands of amps and, as a result, Marshall was consistently listed in The Sunday Times’ 1,000 richest people in Britain.

His influence is sure to reverberate around arenas for years to come. As Nikki Sixx of the band Mötley Crüe said on Twitter, Marshall is “responsible for some of the greatest audio moments in music’s history—and 50% responsible of all our hearing loss.”

In my own words, everyone know's what a Marshall is period. I wouldn't be doing half of the things I do in the industry if it wasn't for Jim Marshall and others like him. Hat's off to Jim Marshall today.

http://www.blamepro.com/mar/gifs/Jim2001.jpg

[SS]Wally
04-18-2012, 04:37 PM
TV and music pioneer Dick Clark dies at age 82

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/04/18/report-dick-clark-dies-at-age-82/#ixzz1sQVChC6O

Bummer

[SS]Wally
05-04-2012, 09:23 PM
http://loudwire.com/files/2012/05/Adam-Yauch.jpg
Adam Yauch speaks at the Apple Soho store in 2008 Photograph: Bryan Bedder/Getty Images
Brian Braiker in New York
guardian.co.uk, Fri 4 May 2012 19.11 BST
Rapper Adam Yauch, a third of the trailblazing hip-hop act the Beastie Boys, has died aged 47.
Yauch, who performed as MCA, had been in treatment for cancer since 2009 after discovering a tumor in his parotid gland.
The band's management posted a lengthy statement on the Beastie Boys website:
It is with great sadness that we confirm that musician, rapper, activist and director Adam "MCA" Yauch, founding member of Beastie Boys and also of the Milarepa Foundation that produced the Tibetan Freedom Concert benefits, and film production and distribution company Oscilloscope Laboratories, passed away in his native New York City this morning after a near-three-year battle with cancer.
Initially dismissed as a trio of jokers who scored a fluke novelty hit with Fight for Your Right (To Party) on their 1986 debut License to Ill, the Beastie Boys would grow into one of the most ambitious and influential acts of the 1990s.
The densely layered followup to their jokey and spare debut was 1989's Paul's Boutique, a postmodern hip-hop masterpiece that was largely ignored at its release. Today the Dust Brothers-produced record is considered a seminal album that would hint at the genre-bending direction 1990s pop was heading.
Subsequent records Check Your Head and Ill Communication found an instant foothold in the mainstream, however, propelling the band to stratospheric stardom.
Their lyrics were packed with goofy couplets, in-jokes and pop-culture references. And each of the Beasties cultivated distinct personas and vocal deliveries that meshed well together and could stand alone.
Yauch's voice was mellow, gravelly and gruff – sandpaper and warm beer – allowing him to play both the shady drifter (Paul Revere) and loveable buddy ("My man MCA's got a beard like a billy goat").
The Brooklyn-born Yauch co-founded the Beastie Boys in 1981, originally as a punk rock outfit with Mike "Mike D" Diamond, drummer Kate Schellenbach and guitarist John Berry in 1981. The group got its start playing underground clubs around New York and released an EP later that year.
Schellenbach and Berry would leave the band, though and Adam "Ad-Rock" Horowitz, a third middle-class Jewish kid from New York, came on board.
After eschewing punk for an exaggerated fratty b-boy posture, the trio would go on to become the unlikely first white rap group to achieve massive mainstream success – to the initial chagrin of hip-hop purists.
After poorly received tours opening for Madonna and Run DMC, the band released Licensed to Ill in 1986, which struck a surprise chord: the Rick Rubin-produced album was fastest-selling debut in Columbia Records' history, selling more than 750,000 copies in its first six weeks.
The Beastie Boys were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April, but Yauch was unable to attend due to his health. His cancer treatments also delayed the release of the group's most recent album, Hot Sauce Committee, Pt. 2.
In addition to his career in music, Yauch was a film-maker and passionate Buddhist and defender of Tibetan rights. Yauch directed many of the band's music videos under the name Nathanial Hörnblowér, including So What'cha Want, Intergalactic and the more recent Make Some Noise.
Yauch, who is survived by his wife, Dechen Wengdu, and their daughter, Losel, wrote a letter to his bandmates and fans for last month's hall of fame induction: "I'd like to dedicate this to my brothers Adam and Mike," he wrote. "They walked the globe with me. It's also for anyone who has ever been touched by our band. This induction is as much ours as it is yours."

[SS]Snakebite
05-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Dang Wally, you're making me feel old. All my childhood hero's are dying off...

[SS]SportoFu
05-04-2012, 11:26 PM
This one hurt. They've been my FAVOURITE band for the last 25 years. I grew up with every BBoys album and listen to them almost every day.

[SS]Switters
05-05-2012, 12:34 AM
SportoFu;153143']I grew up with every BBoys album and listen to them almost every day.

+1

[SS]Hobo
05-05-2012, 06:36 AM
Gone to soon, RIP MCA.

Some of my fav rhymes:

"Born and bred in Brooklyn U.S.A,
They call me Adam Yauch but I'm M.C.A.
Like a lemon to a lime a lime to a lemon,
I sip the def ale with all the fly women"
-No sleep till Brooklyn

"Well I'm as cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce,
You've got the rhyme and reason but no cause,
Well if you're hot to trot and you think you're slicker than grease,
I've got news for you crews you'll be sucking like a leech"
-So what'cha want

[SS]Showstoper
05-05-2012, 03:40 PM
One of my fav rap groups from the 80's. I feel old. RIP MCA and Dick Clark.

[SS]Snakebite
05-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Rest In Peace - Goober!

http://wbma.images.worldnow.com/images/18157968_BG1.jpg

George Lindsey, best known for playing Goober Pyle on The Andy Griffith Show, has died. He was 83 years old.

Lindsey died Sunday in Nashville after an extended hospitalization, The Tennessean reports. An Alabama native, Lindsey went to college to become a teacher, but joined the United States Air Force in the '50s. He eventually moved to New York to study acting and began appearing in stage productions.

Lindsey got his big break when he was cast on The Andy Griffith Show in 1964 as the slow-witted-but-kind Goober. He became known on the show for his Goober dance and his infamously bad Cary Grant impression. Lindsey continued to portray the character when the show was renamed Mayberry R.F.D. - following Andy Griffith's departure - until the show was axed in 1971.

Read more:http://www.seattlepi.com/ae/tv/tvguide/article/George-Lindsey-Andy-Griffith-Show-s-Goober-Dies-3538565.php

"Judy, Judy, Judy!"

Tagger
05-11-2012, 03:52 PM
RIP: Carroll Shelby
Auto legend Carroll Shelby, father of Cobra, dies (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/05/auto-legend-carroll-shelby-father-of-cobra-dies/1#.T61rnetYsS4)
Carroll Hall Shelby, the Texan who created the famous Shelby Cobra and uncounted other high-performance machines that turned the auto world on its ear, and made it a whole lot more fun for 50 years, died in Dallas Thursday night at age 89. He had been hospitalized for pneumonia.

PHOTO GALLERIES:

Shelby's famous pedal-to-the metal cars

Shelby's latest: The 1,100-horsepower Mustang

Shelby, who affected the aw-shucks demeanor of the chicken farmer he once was, said, "I never made a damn dime until I started doing what I wanted."

What he wanted was, if you will, power for the people, automotively speaking.

"I love horsepower," he said more than once.

Beyond just his efforts in the small world of hot-rodding, Shelby influenced how Detroit automakers thought about high-performance, and he proved that hard work and bit of guile can make a hero.

But to achieve that, he had to jump from chicken-raising — his fowl all died of a disease one year — and into full-time auto racing, which he'd been doing on the side, in the 1950s. He was a success — at first continuing to wear the work overalls that he did as a farmer — and parlayed that reputation into a foothold as a car builder.

The litany of significant cars he created is long, running from the original 1962 AC Cobra — small British sports car with a big (for the times) Ford engine — through a sojourn at Chrysler and a stint with GM via a failed Oldsmobile-powered car, back to Ford. He was involved with development of Ford's GT 500 Mustang, the 2013 version of which is certified as the most-powerful regular-production car in the world.

His love affair put him into the orbit of industry giants of the time, as he more and more successfully showed car companies that powerful engines in lightweight cars was a viable and roadworthy combination on which he and they could make a lot of money.

He became good friends with Lee Iacocca who was president at Ford Motor when Shelby began as a car builder. The relationship continue when Iacocca moved to Chrysler.

Iacocca serendipitously happened upon on a small dinner in a Los Angeles restaurant some years back, intended as an intimate schmooze between Shelby and a journalist. Iacocca plopped down at the table and he and Shelby started telling stories.

Among them, how the two began their relationship.

Iacocca said Shelby was pestering him for money to build the original Cobra, and was so persistent that "I finally gave him the money to get him out of my office."

Much later, in 2010, Shelby was facing two challenging phenomena: Mortality, and the changing nature of the go-fast auto business. At the time, he was taking 25 pills a day, tooling around in a motorized wheelchair and talking about passing the torch at Shelby American, the company he set up to build small numbers of exciting cars, as well as parts.

Carroll Shelby at Ford's Dearborn Development Center in Michigan during development work on the Shelby GT500KR in September, 2007.CAPTIONBy Ford, WieckHe noted that extracting the most performance from an engine had become an exercise in computer programming, not tinkering. "I don't have the power to fight all the problems that I used to anymore," he said at the time.

"I've had a good run. I've built a lot of things that work and a lot of things that didn't work." He estimates that of the 165 car projects he tried over his lifetime, seven or eight turned a profit. Big enough, it seems, to keep the enterprise rolling.

His was a bold approach to car crafting that was too in-your-face for mainline car companies to conjure in-house. They let him come up with wild machines under their sponsorship, then refined them into cars the automakers could sell as high-performance halos.

Along the way he came up with a recipe for a mean bowl of chili, sufficiently infamous to spark an annual beat-this chili cookoff in Texas, and later even ventured into fashion timepieces.

He began his car building with subterfuge. Hoping to give the impression he was producing a lot of the original 1962 Cobras, he kept repainting the two he had built so car magazines would show them in a variety of colors.

And he had to fend off another giant, his eventual friend Robert E. Petersen, founder of Motor Trend and Hot Rod magazines, for the affections of a woman.

Petersen saw himself as merely taking advantage of an opportunity. Shelby recalled it as a work of infamy: "He'd tell her, 'You don't want to go around with a chicken farmer. And he'll lose (races), anyway'."

Rumors began circulating about a health problem when the affable auto man failed to appear as scheduled at the New York auto show in early April to promote his latest creations, the 950-horsepower Shelby 1000 and the 1,100-hp Shelby 1000 S/C.

Shelby published an update on his Facebook page in late April to say, in the vein of Mark Twain's "the reports of my death are greatly exaggerated," that he had been hospitalized for pneumonia, but was "resting comfortably with family and working on getting better."

[SS]Shooter
05-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Yeah, that one sucks.

[SS]CJ
05-11-2012, 08:12 PM
I know I sound like a cold hearted jerk face for this, but now there will not be anymore lawsuits towards Factory Five.

I admire the guy for making the cobra but hate the fact he kept suing Factory Five (and losing).

[SS]Wally
05-17-2012, 11:40 PM
Disco queen Donna Summer dead at 63

Published May 17, 2012

FoxNews.com

Legendary singer Donna Summer, whose powerful voice and string of hit songs like "Bad Girls" and "Hot Stuff" provided the soundtrack for the disco era, died Thursday, her family confirmed. She was 63.

"Early this morning, we lost Donna Summer Sudano, a woman of many gifts, the greatest being her faith," family of the singer said in a statement.

"While we grieve her passing, we are at peace celebrating her extraordinary life and her continued legacy. Words truly can't express how much we appreciate your prayers and love for our family at this sensitive time."

Sources close to the family tell FoxNews.com that Summer's death came as a hugely unexpected shock. Initial reports from TMZ said that the singer had died from a battle with lung cancer, but the family did not release additional details on the cause of death.

According to Entertainment Tonight, Summer learned she had lung cancer ten months ago and had kept it a secret from friends and the public, only telling her husband and children. TMZ reports that Summer believed she had contracted the cancer from inhaling toxic particles after the 9/11 attacks in New York City, where she lived in 2001.

A funeral was planned for Monday in Nashville, ET reports.

Often called the Queen of Disco, Summer was born LaDonna Adrian Gaines on Dec. 31, 1948, in Boston. She began singing early in the church choir and by her teens had formed several musical groups.

Disco became as much defined by her sultry, sexual vocals -- her bedroom moans and sighs -- as the relentless, pulsing rhythms of the music itself.

Her first album, "Lady of the Night," arrived in 1974 in Europe, and 1975's "Love to Love You Baby" brought her worldwide fame.

In the 1978 disco film "Thank God it's Friday," her song "Last Dance" won Summer her first Grammy.

Unlike some other stars of disco who faded as the music became less popular, Summer was able to grow beyond it and later segued to a pop-rock sound. She had one of her biggest hits in the 1980s with "She Works Hard For The Money," which became another anthem, this time for women's rights.

In the mid-1980s, Summer encountered controversy when she was accused of making anti-gay comments related to AIDS. She claimed she had been misquoted but not before thousands of her records were returned and dance clubs boycotted her music.

She was never comfortable with the "Disco Queen" label. Musically, she began to change in 1979 with "Hot Stuff," which had a tough, rock `n' roll beat. Her diverse sound helped her earn Grammy Awards in the dance, rock, R&B and inspirational categories.

She released her last album, "Crayons," in 2008. She also performed on "American Idol" that year with its top female contestants.

Dionne Warwick said in a statement that she was sad to lose a great performer and "dear friend."

"My heart goes out to her husband and her children," Warwick said. "Prayers will be said to keep them strong."

Gloria Gaynor also released a statement on Summer's death, saying:

"I am deeply saddened personally for the loss of my dear friend Donna Summer. She and I have been friends for a very long time, we were both known as the ‘Queen of Disco,” but Donna always referred to me as the “First Lady of Disco.” A fine lady and human being she was. She will be missed dearly by her colleagues, friends and family. She not only made her mark in my heart as well as others, but she forever changed the way of how America danced and enjoyed themselves. She may have had her ‘Last Dance’ here on earth, but ‘Heaven Knows’ it is "dancing with joy for her arrival."

FoxNews.com's Hollie McKay, NewsCore and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/05/17/disco-queen-donna-summer-dead-at-63-report-says/?intcmp=features#ixzz1vBmXDaf3

[SS]Showstoper
05-19-2012, 10:57 PM
I had a bunch of 45's from her growing up. So sad...

[SS]Wally
05-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Bee Gees co-founder Robin Gibb dies at 62

Published May 20, 2012

Associated Press

bee_gees_gibbs.jpg

Robin Gibb, center, performing with the Bee Gees, alongside brothers Maurice and Barry. (AP)

Robin Gibb, one of the three Bee Gees whose falsetto harmonies powered such hits as "Stayin' Alive" and "Night Fever" and defined the flashy disco era died Sunday, his representative said. He was 62.

Gibb's family announced in a statement that "Robin passed away today following his long battle with cancer and intestinal surgery," Gibb's representative Doug Wright said.

"The family have asked that their privacy is respected at this very difficult time," it said.

The band of Gibb brothers was famed for the influential 1977 "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack that became one of the fastest-selling albums of all time with its innovative fusion of harmony and pulsing dance floor rhythms.

The album remains a turning point in popular music history, ending the hard rock era and ushering in a time when dance music ruled supreme.

"Saturday Night Fever" -- actually a compilation album featuring the Bee Gees but including songs by other performers -- represented the pinnacle of Gibb's career, but he enjoyed more than 40 years of prominence as a Bee Gee, as a solo artist, and as a songwriter and producer for other artists.

Gibb was for decades a familiar figure on the pop stage, starting out in the 1960s when the Bee Gees were seen as talented Beatles copycats. They sounded so much like the Beatles at first that there were strong rumors that the Bee Gees' singles were really the Beatles performing under another name.

Many late-'60s bands were quickly forgotten, but the Bee Gees transformed themselves into an enduring A-List powerhouse with the almost unbelievable, and certainly unexpected, success of the song "Stayin' Alive" and others from the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack. The movie it accompanied also catapulted the young John Travolta to cinematic stardom.

The Bee Gees went on to sell more than 200 million records and had a long string of successful singles, clearing their way to induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. There are more than 6,000 cover versions of their songs -- a substantial testament to their continued popularity.

The name Bee Gees was short for Brothers Gibb. They consisted of Barry Gibb, the eldest, and twins Robin Gibb and Maurice Gibb, who died of intestinal and cardiac problems in 2003.

The brothers' three-part harmonies became their musical signature, particularly in the disco phase, when Barry's matchless falsetto often dominated, and they were renowned for their wide-ranging songwriting and producing skills.

The Gibbs were born in England on the Isle of Man, an island in the Irish Sea, but moved to Australia with their parents in 1958 when they were still young and began their musical career there. They had been born into a musical family, with a father who was a drummer and bandleader and a mother who liked to sing.

After several hits in Australia, their career started to really take off when they returned to England in 1967 and linked up with promoter Robert Stigwood.

After several hits and successful albums, Robin Gibb left the group in 1969 after a series of disagreements, some focusing on whether he or Barry should be lead vocalist. He released some successful solo material -- most notably "Saved by the Bell" -- before rejoining his brothers in 1970 and scoring a major hit with "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart."

The Gibbs then suffered some slack years -- searching for a style that could sustain them in the post-Beatles era -- and Barry Gibb started experimenting with falsetto vocals, first on backup, and then in the lead position.

The brothers were at a low point when they went into a French studio to try to come up with some songs for the "Saturday Night Fever" soundtrack at the urging of Stigwood.

The success of those tunes -- closely linked to the popularity of the movie, and the power of the disco movement -- changed their lives forever, giving them a string of number one hits.

After several years of chart success, the Gibbs spent much of the 1980s writing songs and producing records for other artists, working closely with top talents such as Barbra Streisand, Dionne Warwick, Diana Ross and Dolly Parton. They also continued touring and releasing their own records.

Gibb also released more solo albums, including "Secret Agent," during this period.

The band continued in the 1990s, gaining recognition for their body of work with induction into the Songwriters Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Then came Maurice's sudden death in 2003. The surviving brothers announced that the name Bee Gees would be retired with Maurice Gibbs' death, although Robin and Barry did collaborate on projects and Robin Gibb continued his solo career and extensive touring despite mounting health problems.

Robin Gibb had to cancel several engagements in 2011, including one with Prime Minister David Cameron, and he showed an alarming weight loss on his rare public appearances. He was hospitalized briefly in 2011 with what doctors said was an inflamed colon, and had several intestinal surgeries to remove growths.

One of his final projects was a classical requiem with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra that he co-wrote with his son RJ to mark the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic.

Younger brother Andy Gibb, who also enjoyed considerable chart success as a solo artist, had died in 1988 just after turning 30. He suffered from an inflamed heart muscle attributed to a severe viral infection.

Robin Gibb remained emotionally attached to the Isle of Man, keeping a house there as well as homes in rural Oxfordshire, England, and Miami. He was a vegan who did not drink alcohol.

He also became involved with numerous charities and worked to establish a permanent memorial to the veterans of Britain's World War II Bomber Command and recorded songs honoring British veterans.

Gibb is survived by his second wife, Dwina, and four children, as well as his older brother, fellow Bee Gee Barry Gibb, and his sister Lesley Evans, who lives in Australia.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/05/20/bee-gees-co-founder-robin-gibb-dies-at-62/#ixzz1vSmfQ8MG

Tagger
06-08-2012, 08:18 AM
When I was a kid, those guys were the coolest of cool. I've missed them ever since.

Earlier, I posted an RIP for Mr. Carroll Shelby. But, his family has not yet put his body to rest...

DALLAS -- The children and estranged wife of sports car designer Carroll Shelby are embroiled in a bitter battle over who gets control of his body -- which remains unburied a month after his death.

Shelby, famous for making Cobra and Mustang sports cars, was legally married to Cleo Shelby when he died May 10 in Dallas at the age of 89, but they became estranged after he filed for divorce in 2010.

Cleo Shelby is claiming she has the right to decide his funeral because they were still technically married, TMZ reported Thursday.

But their children have a document -- apparently signed by Carroll Shelby -- that gives his oldest son the right to his remains.

Their mother claims the signature is forged and said Carroll did not have the "physical capacity or eyesight" to sign or even read the document, the report said.

Shelby also filed a petition in April seeking to have his marriage to Cleo annulled after accusing her of lying to him during their 14-year marriage.

His body remains at the medical examiner's office. He battled heart problems throughout his life and survived both heart and kidney transplants.

from here (http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/06/07/children-and-estranged-wife-sports-car-legend-carroll-shelby-in-legal-battle/?intcmp=features)

Tagger
06-20-2012, 03:34 PM
RIP Richard Lynch (http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/56594/update-rest-peace-richard-lynch)
Some really sad news has hit the Internet that character actor and genre favorite Richard Lynch has passed away at age 72. Though we're still awaiting some official word, we'll do our best to fill you in throughout the day as more details arise.

Lynch is best known to fans as cult leader Harris in the 1988 film Bad Dreams, and to call his career anything but prolific is an understatement. Other memorable roles include appearances in Rob Zombie's Halloween and Zombie's forthcoming film The Lords of Salem, Laid to Rest, Invasion U.S.A., Scarecrow, The Sword and the Sorcerer as well as television roles on popular series such as "The A-Team," "Werewolf: The Series," "Six Feet Under," and "Star Trek: The Next Generation."

We here at Dread Central would like to take this time to extend our sincerest of condolences to Richard's many friends, family, and constituents. Thanks for the memories and the scares, kind sir. You will be missed.

From Rob Zombie's Facebook page:

"I woke up this morning to the news that our friend Richard Lynch has passed away. Richard was great to work with and really gave it his all. I will never forget the way he scared the crap out of the kid actors in ‘Halloween’. As soon as I said action! He dove in his role of Principle [sic] Chambers at top volume. He will be missed.”

Fox news says he was 76 (http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/06/20/halloween-battlestar-galactica-actor-richard-lynch-dies-at-76/?intcmp=features)

Tagger
07-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Legendary television actor Andy Griffith dead at 86, reports say (http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/07/03/legendary-television-actor-andy-griffith-dead-at-86-report-says/)

Developing:

Legendary television actor Andy Griffith, who made a name for himself with his self-titled comedy "The Andy Griffith Show" and later on the long-running series “Matlock,” has died at the age of 86, according to multiple reports.

Griffith was rushed to a North Carolina hospital by an EMS team after they were called to his Roanoke home Tuesday morning. The actor’s close friend, former UNC President Bill Friday, confirmed the news to several sources, including TMZ and a local NBC affiliate.

The details surrounding the cause of his death were not immediately available.

Griffith first gained prominence in Hollywood after appearing in the Elia Kazan film “A Face in the Crowd.”

In 1960, he played the lead character in “The Andy Griffith Show,” where he became a household name and a staple of American television. The show ran until 1968.

In 1986, he returned to television with the long-running series, “Matlock.”

He was later awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President George Bush.

This is a developing story. Please click refresh for updates.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/07/03/legendary-television-actor-andy-griffith-dead-at-86-report-says/#ixzz1zZR0sZ7m

[SS]Wally
07-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Bummer

[SS]Wally
07-08-2012, 08:24 PM
LOS ANGELES – Ernest Borgnine, the beefy screen star known for blustery, often villainous roles, but who won the best-actor Oscar for playing against type as a lovesick butcher in "Marty" in 1955, died Sunday. He was 95.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/07/08/oscar-winning-film-star-ernest-borgnine-dies-at-5/#ixzz2052IoAkI

http://www.movieactors.com/photos-stars/ernest-borgnine-black-hole-73.jpg

[SS]Wally
08-25-2012, 03:25 PM
First man on moon Neil Armstrong dead at 82

Former U.S. astronaut, Neil Armstrong, the first man on the moon, has died at the age of 82, U.S. media reported on Saturday.

Armstrong underwent a heart-bypass surgery earlier this month to relieve blocked coronary arteries.

As commander of the Apollo 11 mission, Armstrong became the first human to set foot on the moon on July 20, 1969.

[SS]Wally
09-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Oscar-nominated actor Michael Clarke Duncan dies at 54

LOS ANGELES – Michael Clarke Duncan, the hulking, prolific character actor whose dozens of films included an Oscar-nominated performance as a death row inmate in "The Green Mile" and such other box office hits as "Armageddon," "Planet of the Apes" and "Kung Fu Panda," is dead at age 54.

Clarke died Monday morning at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, where he was being treated for a heart attack, said his fiancee, Reverend Omarosa Manigault, in a statement released by publicist Joy Fehily.

The muscular, 6-foot-4 Duncan, a former bodyguard who turned to acting in his 30s, "suffered a myocardial infarction on July 13 and never fully recovered," the statement said. "Manigault is grateful for all of your prayers and asks for privacy at this time. Celebrations of his life, both private and public, will be announced at a later date."

In the spring of 2012, Clarke had appeared in a video for PETA, the animal rights organization, in which he spoke of how much better he felt since becoming a vegetarian three years earlier.

"I cleared out my refrigerator, about $5,000 worth of meat," he said. "I'm a lot healthier than I was when I was eating meat."

Duncan had a handful of minor roles before "The Green Mile" brought him an Academy Award nomination for best supporting actor. The 1999 film, based on the Stephen King novel of the same name, starred Tom Hanks as a corrections officer at a penitentiary in the 1930s. Duncan played John Coffey, a convicted murderer with a surprisingly gentle demeanor and extraordinary healing powers.

Duncan's performance caught on with critics and moviegoers and he quickly became a favorite in Hollywood, appearing in several films a year. He owed some of his good fortune to Bruce Willis, who recommended Duncan for "The Green Mile" after the two appeared together in "Armageddon." Clarke would work with Willis again in "Breakfast of Champions," "The Whole Nine Yards" and "Sin City."

His industrial-sized build was suited for everything from superhero films ("Daredevil") to comedy ("Talledega Nights," "School for Scoundrels"). His gravelly baritone alone was good enough for several animated movies, including, "Kung Fu Panda," "Delgo" and "Brother Bear." Among Clarke's television credits: "The Apprentice," "The Finder," "Two and a Half Men" and "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody."

Born in Chicago in 1957, Duncan was raised by a single mother whose resistance to his playing football led to his deciding he wanted to become an actor. But when his mother became ill, he dropped out of college, Alcorn State University, and worked as a ditch digger and bouncer to support her. By his mid-20s, he was in Los Angeles, where he looked for acting parts and became a bodyguard for Will Smith, Jamie Foxx and other stars. The murder of rapper Notorious B.I.G., for whom Duncan had been hired to protect before switching assignments, led him to quit his job and pursue acting full-time.

Early film and television credits, when he was usually cast as a bodyguard or bouncer, included "Bulworth," "A Night at the Roxbury" and "The Players Club."

[SS]Wally
11-24-2012, 05:43 PM
http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/660/371/hagmanstory.jpg

'Dallas' legend Larry Hagman dead at 81
Published November 23, 2012
FoxNews.com

Oct. 9, 2008: Actor Larry Hagman listens to a reporter's question while visiting the Southfork Ranch in Parker, Texas.
DALLAS – Larry Hagman, the actor most widely known for playing oil baron J.R. Ewing on the popular 1980s television show “Dallas,” has died at the age of 81.
Family members tell the Associated Press the Texas native died Friday afternoon at a Dallas hospital from complications of a recent battle with cancer.
"Larry was back in his beloved hometown of Dallas, re-enacting the iconic role he loved the most," the family said. "Larry's family and closest friends had joined him in Dallas for the Thanksgiving holiday."
Hagman was a regular on the 1960s sitcom “I Dream of Jeannie,” playing Capt. Tony Nelson, an astronaut whose life is disrupted when he finds a comely genie, portrayed by Barbara Eden. He reprised the role of J.R. Ewing in TNT's recent "Dallas" reboot.
The actor's "Dallas" co-star Linda Gray issued the following statement to Fox News via her publicist: "Larry Hagman was my best friend for 35 years. He was the pied piper of life and brought joy to everyone he knew. He was creative, generous, funny, loving and talented. I will miss him enormously. He was an original and lived life to the full. The world was a brighter place because of him."
Hagman also starred in two short-lived sitcoms, "The Good Life" (NBC, 1971-72) and "Here We Go Again" (ABC, 1973). His film work included well-regarded performances in "The Group," `'Harry and Tonto" and "Primary Colors."
But it was Hagman's masterful portrayal of the charmingly loathsome J.R. that brought him his greatest stardom. The CBS serial drama about the Ewing clan and those in their orbit aired from April 1978 to May 1991.
The "Who shot J.R.?" story twist, in which Hagman's character was nearly murdered in a cliffhanger episode, fueled international speculation and millions of dollars in betting-parlour wagers. It also helped give the series a ratings record for the time.
When the answer was revealed in a November 1980 episode, an average 41 million viewers tuned in to make "Dallas" the second most-watched entertainment show of all time, trailing only the "MASH" finale in 1983 with 50 million viewers.
It was J.R.'s sister-in-law, Kristin (Mary Crosby) who plugged him -- he had made her pregnant, then threatened to frame her as a prostitute unless she left town -- but others had equal motivation.
Hagman played Ewing as a bottomless well of corruption with a charming grin: a business cheat and a faithless husband who tried to get his alcoholic wife, Sue Ellen (Linda Gray), institutionalized.
"I know what I want on J.R.'s tombstone," Hagman said in 1988. "It should say: `Here lies upright citizen J.R. Ewing. This is the only deal he ever lost."'
In 2006, Hagman did a guest shot on FX's drama series "Nip/Tuck," playing a macho business mogul. He also got new exposure in recent years with the DVD releases of "I Dream of Jeannie" and "Dallas."
The Fort Worth, Texas, native was the son of singer-actress Mary Martin, who starred in such classics as "South Pacific" and "Peter Pan." Martin was still in her teens when he was born in 1931 during her marriage to attorney Ben Hagman.
As a youngster, Hagman gained a reputation for mischief-making as he was bumped from one private school to another. He made a stab at New York theater in the early 1950s, then served in the Air Force from 1952-56 in England.
While there, he met and married young Swedish designer Maj Axelsson. The couple had two children, Preston and Heidi, and were longtime residents of the Malibu beach colony that is home to many celebrities.
Hagman returned to acting and found work in the theater and in such TV series as "The U.S. Steel Hour," `'The Defenders" and "Sea Hunt." His first continuing role was as lawyer Ed Gibson on the daytime serial "The Edge of Night" (1961-63).
He was diagnosed in 1992 with cirrhosis of the liver and acknowledged that he had drank heavily for years. In 1995, a malignant tumor was discovered on his liver and he underwent a transplant.
Hagman called his 2001 memoir "Hello Darlin': Tall (and Absolutely True) Tales about My Life."
"I didn't put anything in that I thought was going to hurt someone or compromise them in any way," he told The Associated Press at the time.
After his transplant, he became an advocate for organ donation and volunteered at a hospital to help frightened patients.
"I counsel, encourage, meet them when they come in for their operations, and after," he said in 1996. "I try to offer some solace, like `Don't be afraid, it will be a little uncomfortable for a brief time, but you'll be OK.' "
He also was an anti-smoking activist who took part in "Great American Smoke-Out" campaigns.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/11/24/dallas-legend-larry-hagman-dead-at-81/?intcmp=features#ixzz2DB70JKW7

[SS]Wally
10-02-2013, 10:44 AM
What a huge loss for the Entertainment industry. Movies, books, video games - this guy loved military accuracy.

Tom Clancy, author of ‘Hunt for Red October’ and ‘Patriot Games,’ dead at 66
Best-selling writer set new standard for technically accurate military novels like 'Red Storm Rising and 2012's 'Threat Vector'

BY MARGARET EBY / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 2, 2013, 10:29 AM
Tom Clancy, pictured at a New York book signing in 2003, died Tuesday night in a Baltimore hospital, his hospital reported.
ANDREW GOMBERT/EPA

Tom Clancy, pictured at a New York book signing in 2003, died Tuesday night in a Baltimore hospital, his hospital reported.
Tom Clancy, the best-selling author whose espionage thrillers set the bar for military , died Tuesday night, the New York Times reported.

He was 66.

Clancy’s last book was 2012’s ‘Threat Vector.’
VINCE LUPO/AP

Clancy’s last book was 2012’s ‘Threat Vector.’
The writer’s publisher told the newspaper that Clancy passed away in a Baltimore hospital near his Maryland home.

Clancy published his first book, "The Hunt for Red October," in 1984. The novel sold more than five million copies, and became the basis for a hit film starring Alec Baldwin. By 1988, Clancy had netted a $3 million contract for his next three books.

Bestselling author Tom Clancy is seen in this undated handout photo. When Clancy reached the top of bestseller lists yet again this summer, it was with a cameo appearance in the 567-page report of the federal commission that studied the Sept. 11 attacks. Source: Putnam/Riverhead Publicity/via Bloomberg News Original Filename: tom_clancy.jpg
REUTERS/BLOOMBERG NEWS

Bestselling author Tom Clancy is seen in this undated handout photo. When Clancy reached the top of bestseller lists yet again this summer, it was with a cameo appearance in the 567-page report of the federal commission that studied the Sept. 11 attacks. Source: Putnam/Riverhead Publicity/via Bloomberg News Original Filename: tom_clancy.jpg
Though best known for his novels, Clancy began his career working in an independent insurance agency. In 1993, the novelist joined a team of investors to buy the Baltimore Orioles from Eli Jacobs.

DatGuy
10-03-2013, 11:08 AM
tis a sad day

his name shall live on through his books and video games

[SS]Wally
10-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Lou Reed, the frontman of the rock band the Velvet Underground, has died at age 71, according to a report from Rolling Stone magazine.

The Velvet Underground became one of the most influential bands in rock music by fusing art and music through its collaboration with Andy Warhol in the 1960s, Reuters reports. The magazine did not say how Reed died and his representatives could not immediately be reached.

Reed had undergone a liver transplant in May. He was hospitalized in July for severe dehydration, Variety reports.

The Velvet Underground consisted of Reed, who was the lead vocalist and guitarist, John Cale, a keyboardist and viola player, Sterling Morrison, a guitarist, and drummer Maureen Tucker. The group played their first show in 1965 and became the house band at Warhol’s Factory studio the following year, according to a biography of the band on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s website. They became the centerpiece of Warhol’s “Exploding Plastic Inevitable” multimedia events.

Reed was born in Brooklyn on March 2, 1942. He graduated from Syracuse University in 1964 and met Cale while working as a songwriter-for-hire at Pickwick Records, according to Variety. The two formed a group called the Primitives, which later renamed to the Velvet Underground after Morrison and Tucker joined.

Reed’s career produced some of the most covered songs in rock history: “Sweet Jane,” “Satellite of Love” and “Walk on the Wild Side,” in addition to a release of sheer industrial noise and a 2011 collaboration with Metallica, among other projects, Variety reports.

[SS]Wally
12-01-2013, 04:03 PM
'Fast and Furious' actor Paul Walker dies in car crash
Published December 01, 2013FoxNews.com

Actor Paul Walker, best known for his role as undercover cop Brian O'Conner in the popular "Fast & Furious" movies, died in a car accident in Southern California Saturday. He was 40 years old.

A representative for the actor confirmed his death in an e-mail to Fox News Saturday evening.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said that two people were killed in the crash, which occurred at approximately 3:30 p.m. local time in Santa Clarita, Calif. A statement on the accident from the department said that deputies found the car engulfed in flames when they arrived at the scene.

Both victims were pronounced dead at the scene. Walker's publicist said Sunday the other person in the car was Roger Rodas, a friend of Walker's who owned a sport car dealership.

The Los Angeles County Coroner told KTTV's Kevin Takumi that dental records would be needed to formally identify the bodies.

A statement on the actor's official Facebook page said that Walker was a passenger in the car, and had been at a charity event for his organization, Reach Out Worldwide earlier in the day.

"We appreciate your patience as we too are stunned and saddened beyond belief by this news," the statement read in part. "Thank you for keeping his family and friends in your prayers during this very difficult time. We will do our best to keep you apprised on where to send condolences."

Walker, a Southern California native and the oldest of five children, began acting at a young age when he appeared in commercials, and his television credits include appearances on "The Young and the Restless" and "Who's The Boss?"

Walker said the early induction to show business wasn't to start him on a career path, but was a way to help provide for the family. Walker made his feature film debut in the 1998 comedy "Meet the Deedles." Supporting roles in the films "Pleasantville," ''Varsity Blues" and "She's All That" followed.

But it was his turns opposite Vin Diesel in "The Fast and the Furious" films, adapted from a Vibe magazine article about underground street races, that made Walker a star. He was cast by producer Neal H. Moritz, whom Walker had impressed with his performance in the 2000 thriller, "The Skulls."

Walker reprised his role as Brian O'Conner in four of the five sequels made of the 2001 hit. The latest edition, "Fast & Furious 6," was the most lucrative of them all, grossing more than $788 million worldwide following its May release.

According to the Internet Movie Database, Walker was to appear in "Fast & Furious 7," due out next July. He will also appear in the film "Hours," due out December 13.

Universal Pictures, the studio behind the "Fast & Furious" films, released the following statement Saturday evening: "All of us at Universal are heartbroken. Paul was truly one of the most beloved and respected members of our studio family for 14 years, and this loss is devastating to us, to everyone involved with the FAST AND FURIOUS films, and to countless fans. We send our deepest and most sincere condolences to Paul's family."

Walker starred in other films, including the crime thriller "Running Scared," the Antarctic adventure "Eight Below" and the heist film "Takers." Though his stardom didn't make as much of an impact outside the "Fast & Furious" series, Walker continually drew praise from his co-stars and directors as a kind-hearted and eager collaborator.

"Your humble spirit was felt from the start," said Ludacris, Walker's "Fast & Furious" co-star, on Twitter. "Wherever you blessed your presence you always left a mark, we were like brothers."

Walker is survived by his 15-year-old daughter, Meadow.

DatGuy
12-01-2013, 05:13 PM
heard about that one, today...sucks

[SS]Chief
12-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Whew....I’m just glad there won’t be any F-and-F sequels....awwww....SNAP!

[SS]Sabotage
12-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Chief;168608']Whew....I’m just glad there won’t be any F-and-F sequels....awwww....SNAP!What?! I love those movies, they're the only cheesy things that stay true to their original plot and style.

[SS]Twist
12-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Most were cheesy and terrible, but I loved them...except for Tokyo drift.

[SS]Wally
12-15-2013, 11:11 PM
'Lawrence of Arabia' star Peter O'Toole dies at 81

LONDON – Peter O'Toole, the charismatic actor who achieved instant stardom as Lawrence of Arabia and was nominated eight times for an Academy Award, has died, his agent said Sunday. He was 81.

O'Toole died Saturday after a long illness, Steve Kenis said in a brief statement.

The family was overwhelmed "by the outpouring of real love and affection being expressed towards him, and to us, during this unhappy time. ... In due course there will be a memorial filled with song and good cheer, as he would have wished," O'Toole's daughter Kate said in the statement.

O'Toole got his first Oscar nomination for 1962's "Lawrence of Arabia," his last for "Venus" in 2006. With that he set the record for most nominations without ever winning, though he had accepted an honorary Oscar in 2003.

A reformed -- but unrepentant -- hell-raiser, O'Toole long suffered from ill health. Always thin, he had grown wraithlike in later years, his famously handsome face eroded by years of hard drinking.

But nothing diminished his flamboyant manner and candor.

"If you can't do something willingly and joyfully, then don't do it," he once said. "If you give up drinking, don't go moaning about it; go back on the bottle. Do. As. Thou. Wilt."

O'Toole began his acting career as one of the most exciting young talents on the British stage. His 1955 "Hamlet," at the Bristol Old Vic, was critically acclaimed.

International stardom came in David Lean's "Lawrence of Arabia." With only a few minor movie roles behind him, O'Toole was unknown to most moviegoers when they first saw him as T.E. Lawrence, the mythic British World War I soldier and scholar who led an Arab rebellion against the Turks.

His sensitive portrayal of Lawrence's complex character garnered O'Toole his first Oscar nomination.

O'Toole was tall, fair and strikingly handsome, and the image of his bright blue eyes peering out of an Arab headdress in Lean's spectacularly photographed desert epic was unforgettable.

Playwright Noel Coward once said that if O'Toole had been any prettier, they would have had to call the movie "Florence of Arabia."

In 1964's "Becket," O'Toole played King Henry II to Richard Burton's Thomas Becket, and won another Oscar nomination. Burton shared O'Toole's fondness for drinking, and their offset carousing made headlines.

O'Toole played Henry again in 1968 in "The Lion in Winter," opposite Katharine Hepburn, for his third Oscar nomination.

Four more nominations followed: in 1968 for "Goodbye, Mr. Chips," in 1971 for "The Ruling Class," in 1980 for "The Stunt Man," and in 1982 for "My Favorite Year." It was almost a quarter-century before he received his eighth and last, for "Venus."

Seamus Peter O'Toole was born Aug. 2, 1932, the son of Irish bookie Patrick "Spats" O'Toole and his wife Constance. There is some question about whether Peter was born in Connemara, Ireland, or in Leeds, northern England, where he grew up.

After a teenage foray into journalism at the Yorkshire Evening Post and national military service with the navy, young O'Toole auditioned for the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art and won a scholarship.

He went from there to the Bristol Old Vic and soon was on his way to stardom, helped along by an early success in 1959 at London's Royal Court Theatre in "The Long and The Short and The Tall."

The image of the renegade hell-raiser stayed with O'Toole for decades, although he gave up drinking in 1975 following serious health problems and major surgery.

He did not, however, give up smoking unfiltered Gauloises cigarettes in an ebony holder. That and his penchant for green socks, voluminous overcoats and trailing scarves lent him a rakish air and suited his fondness for drama in the old-fashioned "bravura" manner.

A month before his 80th birthday in 2012, O'Toole announced his retirement from a career that he said had fulfilled him emotionally and financially, bringing "me together with fine people, good companions with whom I've shared the inevitable lot of all actors: flops and hits."

"However, it's my belief that one should decide for oneself when it is time to end one's stay," he said. "So I bid the profession a dry-eyed and profoundly grateful farewell."

In retirement, O'Toole said he would focus on the third volume of his memoirs.

Good parts were sometimes few and far between, but "I take whatever good part comes along," O'Toole told The Independent on Sunday newspaper in 1990.

"And if there isn't a good part, then I do anything, just to pay the rent. Money is always a pressure. And waiting for the right part -- you could wait forever. So I turn up and do the best I can."

The 1980 "Macbeth" in which he starred was a critical disaster of heroic proportions. But it played to sellout audiences, largely because the savaging by the critics brought out the curiosity seekers.

"The thought of it makes my nose bleed," he said years later.

In 1989, however, O'Toole had a big stage success with "Jeffrey Bernard is Unwell," a comedy about his old drinking buddy, the legendary layabout and ladies' man who wrote The Spectator magazine's weekly "Low Life" column when he was sober enough to do so.

The honorary Oscar came 20 years after his seventh nomination for "My Favorite Year." By then it seemed a safe bet that O'Toole's prospects for another nomination were slim. He was still working regularly, but in smaller roles unlikely to earn awards attention.

O'Toole graciously accepted the honorary award, quipping, "Always a bridesmaid, never a bride, my foot," as he clutched his Oscar statuette.

He had nearly turned down the award, sending a letter asking that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences hold off on the honorary Oscar until he turned 80.

Hoping another Oscar-worthy role would come his way, O'Toole wrote: "I am still in the game and might win the bugger outright."

The last chance came in, for "Venus," in which he played a lecherous old actor consigned to roles as feeble-minded royals or aged men on their death beds. By failing again to win, he broke the tie for futility which had been shared with his old drinking buddy, Richard Burton.

O'Toole divorced Welsh actress Sian Phillips in 1979 after 19 years of marriage. The couple had two daughters, Kate and Pat.

A brief relationship with American model Karen Somerville led to the birth of his son Lorcan in 1983, and a change of lifestyle for O'Toole.

After a long custody battle, a U.S. judge ruled Somerville should have her son during school vacations, and O'Toole would have custody during the school year.

"The pirate ship has berthed," he declared, happily taking on the responsibilities of fatherhood. He learned to coach schoolboy cricket and, when he was in a play, the curtain time was moved back to allow him part of the evenings at home with his son.

[SS]Shooter
12-16-2013, 01:42 PM
Peter O'Toole: Raise a glass to the last of the 60s hellraisers

The actor was one of a generation of hard-drinking stars who gloried in their wild exploits and lost weekends

Dominic Rushe
theguardian.com, Monday 16 December 2013 04.10 EST

Peter O'Toole was the last of the hell-raising actors who ushered in the swinging 60s and was almost as famous for his drinking as for his dazzling eyes.

As with his peers and sometime drinking buddies Richard Burton, Richard Harris and Oliver Reed, much of his best work seems to have been done under the influence.

"We heralded the 60s," he once said. "Me, Burton, Richard Harris – we did in public what everyone else did in private then, and does for show now. We drank in public, we knew about pot."

Both Burton and O'Toole won Oscar nominations for Becket but said they were drunk throughout most of the shooting.

While shooting The Lion in Winter, O'Toole cut off the top of his finger in a boating accident. He dropped the finger in some brandy before pushing it back into place and wrapping with a bandage. Removing the bandage weeks later he found he'd put it back the wrong way round.

Rising with a new generation of actors, O'Toole's drinking buddies included men who would go on to become acting legends in their own right. Michael Caine was his understudy for the 1959 play The Long and the Short and the Tall at the Royal Court Theatre. One night after the show O'Toole invited the then unknown actor out for dinner.

"Was there a wildest weekend that you remember?" chat show host Jay Leno once asked Caine. "There was a wildest weekend that I don't remember," Caine replied, referring to what followed.

Caine said that after the dinner he had woken up in a strange flat. The last thing he remembered was eating a plate of eggs and chips. "What time is it?" asked Caine. "Never mind what time it is," said O'Toole. "What fucking day is it?" It turned out that it was five o'clock in the afternoon two days later.

Back at the theatre, the stage manager informed the pair they had been banned from the restaurant for life. Caine wondered what they had done. "Never ask what you did. It's better not to know," said O'Toole.

O'Toole and Peter Finch, the Australian actor and another heavy drinker, were once refused a drink in a pub in Ireland because it was after closing time. The stars wrote out a cheque to buy the pub. The landlord never cashed it and the three became friends.

After the landlord's death O'Toole and Finch were invited to the funeral and stood sobbing as their friend was lowered into the ground only to realise that they were at the wrong funeral – their friend was being buried 100 yards away.

Even before he was famous, O'Toole was generating classic drinking tales. As a drama student he lived on a barge which sank after too many people came to one of his parties.

In later life the star had to give up drinking due to ill health but the greatest acting triumph of his later years was playing another notorious drunk, and O'Toole drinking buddy, Spectator columnist Jeffrey Bernard in Jeffrey Bernard is Unwell.

"I loved the drinking, and waking up in the morning to find I was in Mexico," O'Toole said in Robert Sellers' book Hellraisers: The Life and Inebriated Times of Richard Burton, Richard Harris, Peter O'Toole and Oliver Reed. "It was part and parcel of being an idiot."

[SS]Wally
01-13-2014, 03:27 PM
Sam Berns, Teen with rare aging disease dies day before realizing NFL dream

A Massachusetts teen credited with inspiring legions through his brave fight against an extremely rare illness died Friday -- one day before he was to serve as honorary captain for the New England Patriots’ at a playoff game.

MyFoxBoston reports Sam Berns, 17, died from complications related to progeria syndrome, a genetic disorder that debilitates approximately 1-in-8 million children with stunted growth, rapidly advanced, or premature, aging, and the deterioration of one’s organs uncharacteristically early in life.

“I loved Sam Berns and am richer for having known him,” Patriots owner Robert Kraft wrote in a statement following Berns’ death on Friday night.

“He was a special young man whose inspirational story and positive outlook on life touched my heart. I am so lucky to have had the opportunity to spend time with him and to get to know his incredible family.”

Berns, a Foxboro High School junior, was the subject of a 2013 HBO documentary about his family’s dogged search for a cure, called "Life According to Sam."

“You’re a different person after you meet Sam for the first time,” John Seng, a Progeria Research Foundation board member told the Boston Herald. “We go through every day worrying about traffic jams and why the Internet is so slow, yet, here is Sam Berns, carrying on with his life. He didn’t want people to feel sorry for him, he said he was happy and he meant it.”

Berns’ parents, Leslie Gordon and Scott Berns -- both doctors -- founded the organization in 1999, a year after their son was diagnosed with the illness, according to the Progeria Research Foundation’s website.

Kraft, just hours before the Patriots would beat the Indianapolis Colts 43-22 in the team's AFC Divisional Playoff Game, said, “I had extended an invitation for Sam to be the Patriots' honorary captain for tonight's playoff game. I was looking forward to spending more time with Sam and his family.

“News of his passing came as a complete surprise. It is another reminder that we can't take anything for granted. Be sure to give your loved ones hugs and kisses and tell them how much you love them.”

[SS]Wally
01-16-2014, 07:08 PM
"Professor....." Russell Johnson, who played The Professor on 'Gilligan's Island,' dies at age 89

Actor Russell Johnson, who played The Professor on "Gilligan's Island," has died.

He was 89.

Johnson's agent told Fox News that the actor passed away at his home in Washington State on Thursday morning of natural causes, with his wife and daughter by his side.

Johnson's co-star Dawn Wells, who played Mary Anne on the show, posted on her Facebook page: "My 2 favorite people are now gone. The professor past (sic) away this morning. My heart is broken."

"Russell was a true gentleman, a good father, a great friend, and 'the rest,'" Wells wrote.

Wells and Tina Louise, who played Ginger, are the show's last two surviving cast members.

Johnson starred on "Gilligan's Island," a classic TV comedy about a mismatched set of castaways stranded on a deserted island, from 1964 to 1967.

His character, high school science teacher Roy Hinkley, built generators and other gadgets out of scraps of junk found on the island. Johnson later joked that the one thing The Professor never figured out how to do was to fix the leaky boat so the group could get back to civilization.

During its three-season run on CBS, critics repeatedly lambasted the show as insipid. But after its cancellation in 1967, it found generations of new fans in reruns and reunion movies.

One of the most recent of the reunion films was 2001's "Surviving Gilligan's Island: The Incredibly True Story of the Longest Three-Hour Tour in History," in which other actors portrayed the original seven-member cast while Johnson and two other surviving cast members narrated and reminisced.

In a 2004 interview, Johnson analyzed the show's lasting appeal.

"Parents are happy to have their children watch it," he said. "No one gets hurt. No murders. No car crashes. Just good, plain, silly fun — that's the charm."

He admitted he had trouble finding work after "Gilligan's Island," having become typecast as the egg-headed professor. But he harbored no resentment for the show, and in later years he and other cast members, including Bob Denver, who had played the bumbling first mate Gilligan, often appeared together at fan conventions.

He also appeared in more than two dozen feature films, including "MacArthur," ''The Greatest Story Ever Told" and cult science fiction favorites such as "It Came From Outer Space." In the 1953 Western "Law and Order," he took part in a gunfight with the film's star, Ronald Reagan.

Although he didn't work as often after "Gilligan's Island," Johnson remained active into the late 1990s, appearing on such shows as "My Two Dads," ''Dynasty" and "Newhart."

The future actor was part of a family of seven children raised in Ashley, Pa.

He joined the Army Air Corps during World War II and served as a B-24 bombardier on missions over the Pacific war zone, breaking his ankles in 1945 when his plane was shot down over the Philippine island of Mindanao. He was discharged as a first lieutenant in November 1945, having earned a Purple Heart and other medals.

Upon his discharge, Johnson enrolled at the Actors Lab in Hollywood under the GI Bill. Fellow actor Paul Henreid saw him in a play there and landed him a role as a villain in the film "For Men Only." Until "Gilligan's Island," the ruggedly handsome Johnson often played villains.

He married actress Kay Cousins after leaving the Army, and the couple had a son, David, and a daughter, Kim. His wife died in 1980, and his son, a prominent Los Angeles AIDS activist, died of AIDS in 1994.

After remarrying, Johnson and wife Constance Dane moved to Bainbridge Island, Wash., in 1988.

"We didn't intentionally set out to move to an island," the actor, noting the irony, told a reporter in 1993. "We'd lived in Los Angeles for 40 years and just wanted to get away from the heat, the smog and crowds."

From the island he often took a ferry to Seattle to do voice-overs for radio commercials.

It was also on Bainbridge Island that Johnson wrote the memoir "Here on Gilligan's Isle."

Survivors include his wife and daughter.

[SS]Wally
02-11-2014, 11:30 AM
Hollywood legend turned diplomat Shirley Temple dies at 85

Shirley Temple Black, who as a dimpled, ringlet-haired moppet starred in a series of winsome films that lifted the spirits of millions during the hard days of the Depression, then retired from the screen at 22 and eventually went on to a diplomatic career, died surrounded by family at her home in Woodside, Calif. She was 85.

Temple was the most famous child star of her time and arguably of all time, beginning her film career at age three and becoming the symbol of upbeat family entertainment during an era when many had little to smile about.

[SS]Wally
02-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Dies at 46

Philip Seymour Hoffman, perhaps the most ambitious and widely admired American actor of his generation, who gave three-dimensional nuance to a wide range of sidekicks, villains and leading men on screen and embraced some of the theater’s most burdensome roles on Broadway, died on Sunday at an apartment in Greenwich Village he was renting as an office. He was 46.

The death, from an apparent drug overdose, was confirmed by the police. Mr. Hoffman was found in the apartment by a friend who had become concerned after being unable to reach him. Investigators found a syringe in his arm and, nearby, an envelope containing what appeared to be heroin.

Mr. Hoffman was long known to struggle with addiction. In 2006, he said in an interview with “60 Minutes” that he had given up drugs and alcohol many years earlier, when he was 22. Last year he checked into a rehabilitation program for about 10 days after a reliance on prescription pills resulted in his briefly turning again to heroin.

[SS]Showstoper
02-12-2014, 12:02 AM
I saw quite a few Shirley Temple's movies growing up as a little kid. Our tv was in black and white way back then, so it capture those 1930's movies perfectly. She was an outstanding child actor.

[SS]CJ
02-12-2014, 04:14 AM
Fact of the day: Shirley Temple's favorite drink was jack and coke. Common knowledge among Marine Security Guards.

[SS]Chief
02-12-2014, 08:31 AM
What, you mean she didn’t love a ‘Shirley Temple’? That’s just crazy talk there....

http://janinejulia.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/shirley_drink_001.jpg?w=1090

[SS]Skinman
02-19-2014, 09:04 PM
'Waltons' actor Ralph Waite dies at age 85

By Topher Gauk-Roger and Greg Botelho, CNN
updated 11:57 AM EST, Sun February 16, 2014

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/140213221038-ralph-waite-cbs-story-top.jpg
'Waltons' actor Ralph Waite dies at 85

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Ralph Waite dies at his Palm Desert, California, home, two sources say
He was a veteran Hollywood actor, having appeared in many movies and TV series
He was best known as John Walton Sr. on the hit show "The Waltons"
Waite worked well into his 80s on shows like "Bones" and "NCIS"

(CNN) -- Veteran character actor Ralph Waite -- who many knew best from his time on "The Waltons," though he also had regular roles in more recent series like "Bones" and "NCIS" -- has died.
He was 85.
Waite died on Thursday afternoon at his Palm Desert, California, home, according to Steve Gordon, his family accountant. Jane Mead, a representative of the Spirit of the Desert Presbyterian Fellowship that Waite attended regularly, confirmed his death.
According to IMDB.com (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0906627/), Waite was already a Hollywood veteran with parts in movies like "Cool Hand Luke" and "Five Easy Pieces," plus TV series such as "Bonanza" when he landed the role of John Walton Sr.<cite id="cite15" class="expCaption"></cite>

"The Waltons" struck a chord with many viewers during its run from 1972 to 1981, with Waite being a constant on that show as well as in several TV movies to follow.
Waite was twice nominated for an Emmy, first in 1977 for supporting actor in a comedy or drama series for "Roots" and the next year as lead actor in a drama for his Waltons' role.
Waite also tried his hand at politics, running unsuccessfully as a Democrat for a U.S. representative seat that includes Palm Springs -- narrowly losing in 1990 and again in 1998 to Mary Bono (http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1998/04/08/calif.elections/results.html), the widow of former congressman and "Sonny and Cher" star Sonny Bono.
These forays didn't stop Waite from continuing his day job, however.
He continued to score regular roles, for instance, on TV shows like "The Mississippi," "Murder One," "Carnivale," "The Practice" and "Grey's Anatomy."
In fact, Waite was busy working right through last year playing recurring characters on not only "Bones" and "NCIS" but also "Days of Our Lives."
Stephan Nathan, "Bones" executive producer, remembered Waites as "a wonderful man."
"A big loss," Nathan tweeted (https://twitter.com/squarechicken/status/434151132223373312). "RIP."
Pauley Perrette, part of the "NCIS" cast, also tweeted condolences for the man she referred to as Papa Gibbs.
"We love him at NCIS SO much," Perrette said. "So so sad."

[SS]Wally
02-25-2014, 01:22 AM
Harold Ramis, 'Ghostbusters' star, dies at 69

Comedy legend Harold Ramis, best known for his role in the hit “Ghostbusters” films, has died. He was 69.

Ramis suffered from autoimmune inflammatory vasculitis, a disease that causes swelling in the blood vessels, and died from complications of the illness surrounded by his family.

"His creativity, compassion, intelligence, humor and spirit will be missed by all who knew and loved him," his agent said in a written statement.

"Ghostbusters co-star Dan Aykroyd went on Facebook to give his condolences.

Ramis' Hollywood breakthrough came in 1978 when he co-wrote the blockbuster comedy "National Lampoon's Animal House." He went on to co-write "Stripes" (1981), "Ghostbusters" (1984) and "Ghostbusters II" (1989), films in which he also co-starred.

Ramis co-wrote and made his directorial debut with "Caddyshack" (1980), followed by "National Lampoon's Vacation" (1983).

He most recently directed episodes of “The Office.”

Among his professional honors and awards, Ramis was the recipient of the American Comedy Award, the British Comedy Award, and the BAFTA (British Academy) award for screenwriting.

Ramis is survived by his wife, Erica Mann Ramis, and children Violet Stiel, Julian and Daniel Ramis. He also has two grandchildren.

DatGuy
02-25-2014, 10:51 AM
RIP Egon

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4f/Egon_GB1.jpg

DatGuy
03-14-2014, 05:11 PM
surprised you guys missed this one

http://time.com/17960/band-of-brothers-wwii-veteran-wild-bill-guarnere-dies/

[SS]Wally
03-15-2014, 01:43 PM
I saw that DG, just busy here. Amazing how much his Hollywood character resembled him.

DatGuy
03-15-2014, 07:06 PM
its amazing how everyone in the show looked similar to their roles.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/U1ZipXIYQg4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[SS]Wally
04-07-2014, 10:45 AM
Actor Mickey Rooney dies at 93

Entertainment legend Mickey Rooney, who bounced on stage before he was two and rarely left the spotlight for the next nine decades, first winning fame as the teenage Andy Hardy and then going on to appear in over 100 films, along with stints on television and in the theater, died Sunday at the age of 93.

Los Angeles Police Commander Andrew Smith told the Associated Press that Rooney died at his home in North Hollywood, Calif. in the company of his family. Smith said police took a death report, but indicated that there was nothing suspicious and said it was not a police case. Smith had no additional details on the circumstances of Rooney's death.

Rooney was the consummate performer. "I've always enjoyed the lights of the theater," he wrote in his autobiography "Life is Too Short." "No wonder that even now, when I open a refrigerator door, I feel like performing."

Along the way, the diminutive Rooney also made headlines for marrying eight wives, including sultry actress Ava Gardner. "Always get married early in the morning," he once quipped. "That way, if it doesn't work out, you haven't wasted a whole day."

But when he died, Rooney had been married for 35 years to his last wife, Jan Chamberlin, who survives him. He also is survived by eight children – a ninth died in 2006.

Rooney was the last surviving big male star from the 1930s and one of the very few actors left who had gone from silent movies to 21st century films.

Even when he wasn't acting, in his later years, he was still in the spotlight. In March 2011, the then-90-year-old Rooney testified before the Senate Special Committee on Aging on the issue of elder abuse in America, saying he had been financially abused by an unnamed family member.

Born Joseph Yule Jr. on September 23, 1920 to vaudeville actors, Rooney crawled onstage at 14 months, a little harmonica around his neck, and his father scooped him up and introduced him to the audience as Sonny Yule. By 17 months he was part of his parents' routine in a specially tailored tux.

By 14, he had changed his name to Mickey Rooney and signed with MGM Studios; three years later he landed the role of Andy Hardy in the 14-film series that brought him fame and an abiding friendship with Judy Garland.

"Judy and I were so close we could've come from the same womb," he once said. "…There was no love affair there, there was more than a love affair…It was a forever love."

His breakthrough role as a dramatic actor came in 1938's "Boys Town" opposite Spencer Tracy and in 1939, 1940 and 1941, he was the world's biggest box-office draw.

Among his other well-known films were "National Velvet," "Breakfast at Tiffany's," "Requiem for a Heavyweight," "The Black Stallion" and "Night at the Museum."

He also played multiple television roles, appearing as everyone from a mentally challenged man in "Bill" to retired racehorse trainer Henry Dailey in "The Adventures of the Black Stallion" and appeared as well in the stage play "Sugar Babies."

In addition, he did a variety of voices for film and television characters, appeared in documentaries and even went on tour with wife Jan in a multi-media live stage production called "Let's Put on a Show!"

Rooney won two Academy Awards (a 1939 juvenile award and a 1983 Honorary Award), an Emmy and two Golden Globes.

"I don't regret anything I've ever done," he once said. "I only wish I could have done more."

[SS]Showstoper
04-08-2014, 12:35 AM
Harvey Korman died also. I know you're the one who takes care of this thread Wally. Also, somebody named Peaches Geldof died. I don't know who that was. And Undertaker's streak got broken last night by Brock Lesnar. So I guess you could put that in the RIP thread.

[SS]Midnight
02-27-2015, 01:40 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
Leonard Nimoy dead at 83: Iconic ‘Star Trek’ star was a beloved by sci-fi fans worldwide
BY DAVID HINCKLEY NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Friday, February 27, 2015, 12:18 PM A A A

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2131675.1425057426!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/film-zachary-quinto.jpg?enlarged

Actor Leonard Nimoy poses for a portrait in Beverly Hills, Calif. in 2009.
MATT SAYLES/AP
Actor Leonard Nimoy poses for a portrait in Beverly Hills, Calif. in 2009.
Leonard Nimoy, who lived long and prospered, died Friday at his Los Angeles home.

The creator of Mr. Spock, television’s most beloved pointy-eared half-Vulcan, was 83 and had suffered for several years from chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD), which makes it difficult to breathe.

“I quit smoking 30 yrs ago,” he tweeted last week. “Not soon enough. I have COPD. Grandpa says, quit now!! LLAP.”

“LLAP” was Spock’s best-known catch phrase: Live long and prosper.

To many of his fans, Leonard Nimoy was a one-hit wonder.

One hit that lasted half a century.

Nimoy created the beloved Mr. Spock in the 1960s cult TV show “Star Trek” and brought him back to life in movies, sequels, cartoons and spinoffs for the rest of his life.

Nimoy did not always have an easy time with Spock. He revealed in later years that he became an alcoholic during the original “Star Trek” run.

But through eight subsequent feature films, a few spoofs and many weekends adoring fans at “Star Trek”convention, Nimoy came to embrace the cool, calm half-Vulcan with the memorably pointed ears.

For editorial use only. Any commercial or promotional use of CBS content requires CBS's prior written consent - contact your local office for assistance.
CBS PHOTO ARCHIVE/GETTY IMAGES
Actor Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock and actor William Shatner as Captain James T. Kirk in 'Star Trek.'
He wrote poetry, he directed films, he recorded five albumsnjoy and appreciate the ultra-calm Vulcan , Unlike some other performers who become permanently Nimoy became so closely associated with Mr. Spock that he often said their lives became intermingled in both the public mind and his own.

He said in later years that while he was playing Spock in the cult “Star Trek” TV series from 1966 to 1969, he found himself retaining Spock’s personality well into the weekend after filming ended on Fridays..

He explained that Spock was more calm, rational and even-tempered than Nimoy himself — and that it often wasn’t until Sunday afternoon that Nimoy’s own instincts had fully kicked back in.

His two autobiographies, in 1975 and 1995, were titled. “I Am Not Spock” and “I Am Spock.”

“Star Trek,” a 23rd century science fiction adventure set aboard starship Enterprise, rarely scored more than modest ratings, but became an enduring cultural touchstone even outside the sci-fi community.

Spock was the partner of Enterprise Captain James T. Kirk, played by William Shatner — with whom Nimoy became lifelong friends.,

The show was influential both for its special effects, primitive as they look today, and its bold statements on social issues from interracial relationships to feminism and imperialism.

Nimoy was equally known, and endlessly caricatured over the years, for Spock’s distinctive pointed ears. They were a product of his Vulcan heritage, which also enabled him to disable people with his “Famous Vulcan Neck Pinch” and read their minds with his “Vulcan Mind Meld.”

[SS]Wally
02-28-2015, 10:22 PM
So sad to hear this. What a major loss.

[SS]Wally
03-24-2015, 02:06 PM
Leonard Nimoy ✔ @TheRealNimoy
Follow
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
1:36 AM - 23 Feb 2015
280,876 RETWEETS 202,699 FAVORITES ReplyRetweet