PDA

View Full Version : PC Computer Help

=LS= Muad'dib
01-15-2004, 04:59 PM
hey guys..rator said i should post this question to you....so here goes.

my computer is really being gay now.

so i want to format it...but for some reason...i'm clueless now.

i'm runing XP....which is gay. i want to go back to 2000.....

so someone please leave a post with detailed instructions on what i need to do....thanks in advance.

arik
[LS!] HEKLER
=LS= Muad'dib

[SS]Raiden
01-15-2004, 05:07 PM
Read the directions.

[SS]Raiden
01-15-2004, 05:07 PM
Read the directions.

[SS]Dr.Who
01-15-2004, 05:11 PM
Hey bro, dont take this wrong............ but your thread/request sounds gay. What do the members of your own clan say? Why not call your local computer store for assistance?????????????????

[SS]Rator
01-15-2004, 05:31 PM
Jesus guys! Muad is our friend! The moderator of the TWB forums remember? Holy crap. I told him to post for help in here cause i thought you could all actually...HELP! I cant cause i just dont know much about PC's.

Muad, you can email chenzo too chenzo@tacticalwhiteboard.com he's a whiz with that stuff.

Weeper
01-15-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by [SS]Rator
Jesus guys! Muad is our friend! The moderator of the TWB forums remember? Holy crap. I told him to post for help in here cause i thought you could all actually...HELP! I cant cause i just dont know much about PC's.

Muad, you can email chenzo too chenzo@tacticalwhiteboard.com he's a whiz with that stuff.

Rator ... PLZ ... no religious conversations in the forum ... you used Jesus and Holy in a paragraph.

Please read your own forum rules!!!

LOL

:D

Weeper
01-15-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by =LS= Muad'dib
hey guys..rator said i should post this question to you....so here goes.

my computer is really being gay now.

so i want to format it...but for some reason...i'm clueless now.

i'm runing XP....which is gay. i want to go back to 2000.....

so someone please leave a post with detailed instructions on what i need to do....thanks in advance.

arik
[LS!] HEKLER
=LS= Muad'dib

I have never actually tried this ... and its tricky probably because everything is in NTFS for XP, but I think this should work.

If not, let me know and I will see what I can do.

Take your Windows 2000 Pro CD and put it in the CD drive and reboot the computer. Let self boot for CD drive and you should be able to Format the Drive and Reinstall.

If it doesnt work contact me at brownpauls@cox.net and I will assist further.

Good luck!!!

[SS]Raiden
01-15-2004, 07:35 PM
I know who he is i was only busting his chops.
i should have stated that, just thought he would GET IT.
i apologize.

[SS]CJ
01-16-2004, 02:31 AM
I accept no responsibility for any messed up instructions I might give.

Good, now that the legal matter is over, here goes:

So you want to format your C drive? Is that correct? I don't think you can do that while your running windows, so you have to log on in safe mode. I think its F6 or F8. Mine is F10. You hit the function button before the windows screen comes up. When it gives you some choices on how you want to log in, choose "safe mode with dos prompt" At the dos prompt, type format c or format c: I think one of those commands will reformat your hard drive. You do realize that everything will be lost right?

OK, if you have difficulties with that method of formatting, here's another way to get into safe mode. While running windows, click on start button, then click on "run" Run "msconfig" without the quotes. Click on the boot.ini tab and check "safe boot" Then re-boot your pc and it should give you a bunch of options. Once again, choose "safe mode with dos prompt" Then do the same dos command of format c or format c:

I think that will do it. Does 2000 allow for NTSB or is it only fat32. If its only fat32, I would reconsider what you are about to do. NTSB is a much more stable format.

When I was setting up windows, I found this site to be very helpfull. It took a shit load of reading though. Here's the site:

www.blackviper.com

The guy is really knowledgable and has some great resources on how to set up windows ie, gettin rid of services that the average pc user will never need but windows starts them by default.

Any questions, see Rators thread.

BTW, I'm a hacker. Not the codebreaker type, but the type that goes into his own pc and fucks its up, then has to fix his own mistakes. With that said, take my advice for what its worth.....not much.

Cpt. Dagger
01-16-2004, 02:43 PM
Okay, here goes. I just did this about 1 week ago. Windows 2000 will not upgrade from XP because XP is a newer OS than 2000. You should make sure to back up all your files before you attempt this. The most efficient way that I found is to format the hard drive using a Hard drive installation software such as Max Blast or whatever software comes with a hard drive. Windows XP will not allow you to format your hard drive from command prompt because it contains all the system files..
Am I making sense?? Format hard drive from outside source, than install Win. 2000. Trying to start in safe mode to access command prompt like mentioned above may be a way to do it also. I have just noticed with experience, that formatting with a program to do so is a lot less problematic.. Any questions let me know.... Good call, "I am not responsible for any mishaps that may occur during this process"

Cpt. Dagger
01-16-2004, 02:46 PM
Oh and just in case it wasnt answered in an earlier post, yes Win 2000 does support NTFS formats. It can be frustrating but you have to be patient and it will all come through for you!! Good Luck!:D

[SS]CJ
01-16-2004, 05:41 PM
Dagger, I did mine about 2 months ago. I have 2 hard drives and they are both MaxBlast. MaxBlast would let me format the hard drive without the OS but not the one that contained windows. I never did figure a way around that. Too bad, because I've heard that "outside source" formaters do a better job than windows.

Oh yea, I forgot about this place. Go to http://www.tweakxp.com/default.aspx You'll probably find what your looking for there.

Cpt. Dagger
01-16-2004, 06:02 PM
Yeah thats one of the downfalls of those programs, is that you have to go through a bunch of mumbo jumbo in the command prompt to overwrite/erase all system files. The easiest way for me to do it is to connect the hard drive to another computer as a slave, then run the "MaxBlast II" there. I have a few computers so that is possible, but maybe not for everyone. Im gonna read up a little bit to figure this out, an easier solution for someone with only 1 computer.....

[SS]ProXimo
01-16-2004, 07:07 PM
Okay, Wait a second here.

I am the Computer Administrator for my company. I have done this several hundred times. First I want to clear one thing. XP Porfessional is much better and stable than Windows 2000. Why would you want to go backwards in technlogy is beyound me.

The way you properly F-Disk a computer is by booting from the CD. XP or 2000. Make sure your BIOS setting is setup properly to boot from CD first and then the Hard Drive. You can get into the BIOS setup many ways, depending on the PC. Del Key, F8, F12. I can't tell you what your PC will accept. You should be able to do it with a couple of tries.

Once you boot from the CD, Pay attention to the message that ask if you want to boot from CD press any key. This will take you to the SETUP. At this time you can delete the current partition on your HDD and then create a new one. It will tell you that it will erase all data. That's ok. This will start formatting your HDD. The length of time to do this varies on your HDD Size. Once this is done, it will go right into the install and you just need to follow the steps.

I NEVER UPGRADE FROM AN OS TO ANOTHER. This causes too many problems down the road. I always do a clean install by formatting the drive.

I would highly recommend running XP Pro. XP Home Edition is not the same thing. That's basically WIndows ME with a new look. XP Professional is the real deal. I run Computer Aided Design Workstations with XP Pro. It's the best one Microsoft makes.

Hope this helps.

Weeper
01-16-2004, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by [SS]ProXimo
First I want to clear one thing. XP Porfessional is much better and stable than Windows 2000. Why would you want to go backwards in technlogy is beyound me.

Thats funny Prox ... must network administrators would highly disagree with you. Guess it depends on what you are using it for. From a networking perspectice Windows 2000 Pro is considered the more stable workstation.

[SS]CJ
01-16-2004, 09:14 PM
=LS= Muad'dib,

Here's another avenue for help.

http://www.wild-knights.org/phpBB2/index.php

Go to the computer part of the forum and ask MooseNsquirrel for advice. He's one of those guys that could sweep a round in Jeopardy.

Now that I think about it, I would like to see Prox, Weeper, and MooseNsquirrel go at it in Jeopardy.

SurfCity
01-17-2004, 03:00 PM
=LS= Muad'dib, hey

The Prices,(you prob know this..), aren't too bad, foget about fromatting your EXISTING Drive, Go Buy a NEW and Larger or same size and just reload you BASIC SOFTWARE, then ....

you can just come through all your other data files on your other HARD drive, when you have time, (DO A LITTLE HOUSE CLEANING AT THE SAME TIME), it take a good few days for a decent organizing scheme to take place,

ALL THIS if you set you existing DRIVE up as a SLAVE to the NEW one which will be the MASTER DRIVE.

GOOD LUCK & TAKE YOUR TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What ever you decide to do !

Weeper
01-17-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by [SS]CJ

Now that I think about it, I would like to see Prox, Weeper, and MooseNsquirrel go at it in Jeopardy.

Not me, I would definately be beat ... not good at Jeopardy.

LOL

=LS= Muad'dib
01-19-2004, 01:32 PM
sorry for the delay in responce...my computer is soo fucked it just irritates me sometimes. so i'll just sit on aim.....bored.

ok here goes.

my computer holds 1 harddrive. i can fit 2 in it...but the powersupply is too weak to power both and all the rest of the shit in it.

c: drive is fat32
e: drive is NTSF

XP home edition came with the computer...
i used to have a warez copy of XP PRO..but i've lost the disc...and this was way back before it hit the shelfs.

2000 is the only OS i actually have a disk for.

now when i format the drive....to clear the c: partition will that clear the e: partition too?

if anyone has a copy of XP pro i would consider using that. you can send it to me...and i'll send it back when i'm done.

uhh...thanks for all the help...and the harrassment. :)

[SS]CJ
01-19-2004, 06:44 PM
I just upgraded my power supply for $41 dollars. Try www.enuinc.com. I bought mine at their store, so I didn't pay for shipping. $41 for a true 420W power supply is the best I've found.

=LS= Muad'dib
01-19-2004, 10:56 PM
i got a sony vaio MX100 and it has all these lil things inside that need power....so i have been weary of buying a new powersupply and having it now work out right...or have all the small power plugs...or enough of them.

i'll look at the site tho...see what i find.