PDA

View Full Version : 'The Pacific' (HBO 10 part WWII series)

[SS]Grifter
03-12-2010, 01:29 PM
"Hell was an ocean away"

From the makers of 'Band of Brothers'

The Pacific (http://www.hbo.com/the-pacific/index.html) is a 2010 ten-part television World War II miniseries, produced by HBO, Seven Network Australia and DreamWorks, which will premiere March 14, 2010.

It is similar to Band of Brothers. Whereas Band of Brothers focused on the United States Army's involvement in the European Theater of Operations, the new series will be about United States Marine Corps's actions in the Pacific Theater of Operations.

The Pacific is being spearheaded by Bruce McKenna (co-executive producer), who was one of the main writers on Band of Brothers. Hugh Ambrose, the son of Band of Brothers author Stephen Ambrose, will serve as a project consultant.

The Pacific is based primarily on two memoirs of U.S. Marines: With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge and Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie. The series will tell the stories of the two authors and Marine John Basilone, as the war against the Empire of Japan rages. Additional material for The Pacific is provided from the books Red Blood, Black Sand (Chuck Tatum), and China Marine (Eugene B. Sledge).

Given the literary sources mentioned above, the series will feature well-known battles involving the 1st Marine Division, such as Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester, Peleliu, and Okinawa, as well as Basilone's involvement in the Battle of Iwo Jima.

Hugh Ambrose has authored the official tie-in book to the series, which follows the stories of the three men featured in the series as well as stories of their fellow Marines. It is set to publish in the US and UK in March 2010.

source linky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pacific_(miniseries))

Looks good - I'm gonna try to watch/record the episodes starting this weekend. Anyone see this and are going to be watching it as well?

DatGuy
03-12-2010, 02:23 PM
oh man I can't wait for this.

I saw Tom Hanks on colbert pimping this out last week...

[SS]Chief
03-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Very kick ass! I can't wait to see this either....

[SS]Showstoper
03-12-2010, 05:11 PM
I don't have HBO becasue my cable company is outrageously expensive, but when it's all said and done, I will most definitely buy it on Blu-Ray. I've watched Band of Brothers at least 4 times all the way through each time.

Rush
03-17-2010, 10:06 AM
I loved it. Can not wait for this week. And show, you need to start using these torrents. I dont have HBO either, but if you wait until the next morning, you can download it and watch it on your computer, or burn it to cd and play it in a $20 dvd player that plays .avi files.

[SS]Grifter
03-17-2010, 11:53 AM
I watched the first episode last night after I recorded it - great start to the series.

AlexXC92794
03-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Sky TV are running trailers for 'The Pacific' here in the UK. The ads say it starts in the Spring but no exact date. It's going to be required viewing in our house.

[SS]Chief
03-19-2010, 12:44 AM
Sky TV are running trailers for 'The Pacific' here in the UK. The ads say it starts in the Spring but no exact date. It's going to be required viewing in our house.

I have seen those same ads for here in Italy. Should be good...

Now here is my SkyHD box question: In the back of the box there is a USB Key that lights up blue and looks to have a place to plug in an antenna. What in the world is that USB Key for? Sorry to get off subject, but Alex is the first person I have found to both here in Europe and having Sky TV!

[SS]Rator
03-19-2010, 12:59 AM
That is for TRON only. DO NOT TOUCH!

[SS]Showstoper
03-19-2010, 06:55 AM
Ah, Sky TV. I remember those days when I was in Germany for 14 years. Great programming and the British love wrestling over there. But if you mess with the blue thingy, I think the Polizei will be over there quick and arrest you. :DANCING-banana-032:

P.S. Anyone know a good torrent site I can go to and watch the past episodes? Thank You.

AlexXC92794
03-21-2010, 02:26 PM
My brother works for Sky so I'll find out ASAP. We haven't got one fitted to our set. AL

AlexXC92794
03-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Hi Chief, I rang my brother and he thinks that it is either a Permission Dongle or the WiFi Dongle so that you can buy your Pay per View through your set. I'll get the definitive answer when he gets to work tomorrow. AL

[SS]Chief
03-22-2010, 01:10 AM
Hi Chief, I rang my brother and he thinks that it is either a Permission Dongle or the WiFi Dongle so that you can buy your Pay per View through your set. I'll get the definitive answer when he gets to work tomorrow. AL

Very cool thanks!

HunsingerDE
04-07-2010, 10:34 AM
The series is so damn good! if you have the chance see this with a really good sound system. Whoever mixed the sound, knows his shit, b/c it just sounds amazing, can even hear grains of sand falling after explosions through my side speakers.

KAIZER SOSA
05-06-2010, 06:55 AM
Bruce McKenna has done yet another well written show. I love how it is completely in a different direction then Band of Brothers yet equally engaging. The emotional charge I get while watching is a lot stronger then it was when I watched BoB though to be honest, and the recent character development between "Sledgehammer" and "Snafu" is done believably well.

The series is so damn good! if you have the chance see this with a really good sound system. Whoever mixed the sound, knows his shit, b/c it just sounds amazing, can even hear grains of sand falling after explosions through my side speakers.

I usually watch it while wearing my Turtle Beaches cranked to the max, amazing sound indeed.