PDA

View Full Version : Scam Alert!!

[SS]Deadeye-R
01-14-2004, 03:56 PM
This is relevant to anyone who is an E-bay member. I received an Email yesterday 'supposedly' from Ebay. This email asks you to update your profile for security reasons. I didn't follow the link, but I have heard that if you do follow the link it will ask you for password confirmation and other relevant info. From this the person that is running the scam will advertise items under your name and scam the person that buys them. Obviously ebay will come after you when the fraud claim is filed

Please be aware of this scam and DO NOT follow that link if you receive the email. I know our very own SportoFu got the same email I while ago.

If you get one go here: http://pages.ebay.ca/education/spooftutorial/

[SS]SportoFu
01-14-2004, 05:52 PM
Yeah man, I wasn't thinking and I totally fell for it. I knew there were a LOT of scams going on and thought they might actually be DOING a security check.
Anyways, the person that did it changed my email addy, and I received a change of email notice. I contacted ebay and they fixed the account.
The weird thing is he changed the email acct. to jordevan29@yahoo.com........so he got my name AND age somehow! Who knows what ELSE that mf got. :mad:

[SS]Arkangel
01-14-2004, 11:42 PM
Be on the lookout for Paypal scams, too.
I got one about a month ago.

[SS]Grifter
01-14-2004, 11:51 PM
Yea...I got both...the Paypal one and the EBay one...I never fill that stuff out......

[SS]ProXimo
01-15-2004, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the information. This is good to know. It's easy not to think about it sometimes and you can fall for something without knowing it.