PDA

View Full Version : Moose or moused?

Tagger
12-21-2009, 12:25 PM
This came via email in the last couple of days. I am wondering if the moose is really this large or if these photos were tampered with? I know they get big. But good grief!

"Look at this Moose! By the length of his beard and the grey legs, I figure he must be over10 years old. He looks to be well over 8 feet at the top of the shoulderhump, and with his head up, the height to the top of his antler must beabout 12 feet ..This guy is king of the forest. No bear or pack of wolves would dare come after him when he has thisrack! ......Considering that a dirt road can fit a car across ... this fellowis HUGE ...THIS IS ONE BIG BOY! THE PICTURE WAS TAKEN IN ELLIOT LAKE , ONTARIO CANADA Yes it is a regular size dirt road."

DatGuy
12-21-2009, 02:15 PM
thats not doctored, I have seen moose almost that big when I lived in Ontario

Chenzo
12-21-2009, 03:18 PM
daymn.

[SS]Midnight
12-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Yes DatGuy used to break in the wild ones for the Canadian Olympic moose races.

[SS]Hobo
12-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Looks fake to me for a few of reasons, 1. Where's the shadow on the ground from this monster, 2. Isn't odd that it has the same pose in both pictures, 3. Where are the tracks and why isn't any dust around its hoofs. I'm sure a moose could grow to this size giving the right conditions, but not this one. And DG I didn't know you was a Moose Whisperer, lol.

Chenzo
12-22-2009, 10:31 AM
I don't know. It's just chance that the 2 shots have the moose in the same 'step' in it's stride. It's definitely too shots of a real moose, scaling aside.

And the shadows look fine to me too. In the second shot, it's blocking some of the light near the 'bump' in the middle of the road.

Plus, I don't see any cloning, or farked arp pixels anywhere.

And should it be kicking up dust on that road? I dunno. If it's walking all slow, I don't think it would need to.

The only spot that seems questionable to me is the front right leg. The left side of that looks... odd. But it's very possible that's just an effect of a digital camera and that particular leg getting a full blast of setting (rising?) sun.

Bassani
12-22-2009, 01:46 PM
It knocked over the inside tree, lol, that is 1 big ass mofo...

[SS]Wally
12-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Snake could skin that thing in 5 mins.

Chenzo
12-22-2009, 02:08 PM
Bassani;118556']It knocked over the inside tree, lol, that is 1 big ass mofo...

Huh?

I think the camera is just slightly panned right. You can see the base of the left most tree from teh first image in the bottom left corner of the bottom image.

DatGuy
12-22-2009, 02:37 PM
I know its not faked for the simple fact I have seen moose that big

Bassani
12-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Huh?

I think the camera is just slightly panned right. You can see the base of the left most tree from teh first image in the bottom left corner of the bottom image.

1st pic, the tree by its ass, 2nd pic tree is knocked over to left side

[SS]Snakebite
12-23-2009, 01:25 AM
Wally;118557']Snake could skin that thing in 5 mins.

You know it! :icon-wink-g:

I'm a big game hunter and watch the hunting channels all the time. It could easily be a legit pic as those things can be huge. AND mean! I have not yet booked a moose hunt but if/when I do, I'll post pics up.

Chenzo
12-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Bassani;118589']1st pic, the tree by its ass, 2nd pic tree is knocked over to left side

Unless I'm missing something, I think it's just outta the frame in the 2nd shot.

Tagger
12-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Yea, I think the tree is off frame to the left in the second pic. The second shot is panned right a bit.

[SS]Midnight
12-23-2009, 08:26 PM
That pic is not doctored.

[SS]Hobo
12-23-2009, 09:34 PM
It could be a optical illusion, like when you take a picture with a fish and you hold it closer to the camera to make it look larger. Tagger said " Yes it is a regular size dirt road ", but it looks more like a hiking/utility trail to me, and that could make it look larger then what is really there. Like Snake I watch alot of hunting shows and these things can grow to 8 - 10 feet tall and are very aggressive if provoked.

Check out this monster

http://www.smiling-moose.com/images/upload/world-record-moose.jpg

Bassani
12-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Unless I'm missing something, I think it's just outta the frame in the 2nd shot.

Does this help to explain what I mean?

Sabotage
12-24-2009, 01:06 AM
Bass, the long tree next to him is closer to the edge in the second pic. The camera rotated a little thus moving the tree you circled out of the frame.

[SS]Grifter
12-24-2009, 01:21 AM
That photo is believed to be doctored.

Moose get big - but not so big that they're 10 ft. tall at the shoulder....You don't see a shadow of the moose because quite frankly, he's in the shadow already.

I saw that picture earlier in the year...I want to say around May or June.

There are arguments about the actual size of the road, if it is a road, or if it's a foot path and ATV's have run across it. Also, the email going around, depending on which one you get, has been said to have been taken in several different places and by several different people including a hunter, a hiker, a scout troop...You can google info on the moose and find a few forums talking about it.

Bassani
12-24-2009, 02:17 AM
Bass, the long tree next to him is closer to the edge in the second pic. The camera rotated a little thus moving the tree you circled out of the frame.

yea, but look at the way its angled in the 2nd pic vs the 1st...

[SS]Rator
12-24-2009, 02:46 AM
just some circles of reference for you...