PDA

View Full Version : Black Hawk Down

TR1KSTER
11-26-2009, 02:03 PM
This is a very good movie that was given to me by my grandfather this previous summer. My uncle, grandfather, and I watched it and as it was going on I asked if this really happened because I wasn't sure and basically these men were left out there to die. But most of them made it out.

[SS]Wally
12-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Yes sadly it is based on the real experiences in Mogadishu 1993

TR1KSTER
12-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Yea. I'm not sure if I specified that in my last post on this thread, because that is exactly what happened in the movie too, but yea it was and not many people know that so I like to tell that story. I like to tell a lot of stories about war that people aren't aware of that happened.

Sabotage
12-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Well that movie is one of the truest to their stories. I love this movie because of that reason, but like all movies it's hard to tell everything. What many people don't know about it is everything was MUCH worse all those troops had it SOO MUCH worse than what was portrayed in the film. Again it's impossible to get a movie to the exact story but they came really close. Just didn't or couldn't show how brutal it really was.

H3AVYARMS-TROWA
12-10-2009, 12:03 AM
it felt real. it was a movie to watch then. i revisited this movie last month.

Tagger
12-10-2009, 01:08 AM
I met a guy a few years ago who was in the real unit when that took place. We never talked about it though. And, a guy I was working with last year went to sniper school with one of the snipers who volunteered to rope down to help the pilot. I forget which sniper it was. But, he said the guy was one of the most unassuming people you'd ever meet......just a common man performing a very uncommon feat.

The pilot that was eventually captured and held for several days released a book about his ordeal. I forget the name of the book but it was a very good read. He really did a good job explaining the situation on the ground from the snipers' and his POV at the time of the crash.

[SS]Wally
12-10-2009, 12:59 PM
My wife has a close family member that was there. I was completely blown away when I found that out. Very brutal, chaotic fighting. It was war.

TR1KSTER
12-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Yea it was. I just keep wondering why they never sent any seals in. And speaking of seals have you guys recently heard about the 3 seals being put on trial just because the terrorist they were evacing got a bloody lip.

Deadshooter
12-10-2009, 06:19 PM
One of the snipers that volunteered to go down and eventually died, his son just went through rip last month

[SSr]LouSaynis
12-10-2009, 07:26 PM
I just keep wondering why they never sent any seals in. SEALs are not a force like the Rangers or Delta. They deal mainly in covert ops and are not generally sent into an area like the Mog

TR1KSTER
12-10-2009, 08:11 PM
SEALs are not a force like the Rangers or Delta. They deal mainly in covert ops and are not generally sent into an area like the Mog

Okay. But I still can't believe they left them out there.

[SSr]LouSaynis
12-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Unfortunately, crap like this happens to good people and there's not much that we can do about it.

TR1KSTER
12-11-2009, 08:04 AM
Yea that's true, that's true.

Tagger
12-11-2009, 12:01 PM
They did not "leave them out there" in the sense that they abandoned the pilot and others. The force was equipped on a limited basis for only light engagements. The commander had to make some very very tough choices re how to protect the fighting ability of his force versus soldiers trapped inside the town. No one should ever strive to be in that position. But, someone had to make the hard choices. It's never fair for the soldier on the ground when it comes down to that. It is what it is though.

TR1KSTER
12-11-2009, 07:58 PM
They did not "leave them out there" in the sense that they abandoned the pilot and others. The force was equipped on a limited basis for only light engagements. The commander had to make some very very tough choices re how to protect the fighting ability of his force versus soldiers trapped inside the town. No one should ever strive to be in that position. But, someone had to make the hard choices. It's never fair for the soldier on the ground when it comes down to that. It is what it is though.

Yea. That's what I mean. I'm sure they new about them they just didn't do anything about them. I mean clinton wasn't a bad president just made a bad decision.

Tagger
12-11-2009, 08:19 PM