PDA

View Full Version : Modem/router

Tagger
07-28-2009, 01:50 AM
I've been having some issues with my new cable internet connection. Anyone have a recommendation for a modem/router combo that works well with gaming? The cable company installed a Netgear wireless CG814GCMR (think I remember the model correctly). I've opened the recommended ports for both gaming consoles and established static IP's for both of them. But, the modem still randomly drops out on me. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Edit: Both consoles are connected by ethernet cable to the router.

[SS]Rator
07-28-2009, 10:59 AM
THATS WHY!!! Netgear is shit. Almost ANYTHING else will work better. Linksys, Actiontec, etc.

Chenzo
07-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Linksys

Tagger
07-28-2009, 01:04 PM
I've had success with Linksys in the past. Do they make a modem/router combo? I've searched their site but didn't find a box that did both.

Edit: Called Charter Cable's customer support and asked about a firmware update - they don't do that according to the reps I spoke with. However, the rep admitted they have had problems with the Netgear equipment and have changed to a new brand. Someone is coming out this afternoon to replace my box. Sweet!

Edit to the edit: So the cable dude shows up and proceeds to install another Netgear box identical to what I've already got saying he doesn't have an Ambit (the new equipment). But, my gaming went unhindered last night on my PS3 for the first time in 3 weeks. Dude told me they go through a lot of Netgear boxes.

MABUHAY KA
07-29-2009, 02:16 AM
I use linksys and motorola surboard modem..works well,but my cable company has some minor issues with linksys.

[SS]Rator
07-29-2009, 12:38 PM
lol nice Tag, at least yer up and running.

Bassani
07-29-2009, 03:09 PM
FWIW, I have a Linksys WRT54G router, pretty easy to mess around with inside too, I know at least a couple other SS have the same router as well...

Tagger
07-29-2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks Bass. I checked the Tiger and the price is right for sure. I've still got the BEFSR41 I was using when I played Socom from Virginia. I'd probably go with it and buy a modem if (more likely when) the current Netgear box starts acting up on me.