PDA

View Full Version : Killzone 2

Tagger
02-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Killzone 2 site (http://www.killzone.com)

The demo controls felt good once I reset them to mirror CoD controls. Graphics are pretty nice too. I've not played previous entries of this series. But, this one is highly anticipated by PSN shooters. So, I pre-ordered from Gamestop. Should have my copy next week and will try and give it a review then. I don't know if a demo is available on the PSN other than through the redemption code issued after placing a pre-order. Only problem I have is that I have way too many games versus my available gaming time. Fallout 3, Grid, Endwar, and Gears 2 are all games I need to complete, lol.

DatGuy
02-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Im gonna go grab my copy on friday...my name on PS3 is

ISSIDatGuy

add me tagger!

Tagger
02-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Will do.

AEJustin1
02-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Yea I can't wait for friday it's gonna be a great game, at least I think so compared to the demo :)

Tagger
02-24-2009, 06:10 PM
K2 should be a great offering for the PS3. My girlfriend is going to like having the tv back so she can Wii again, lol.

Tagger
02-27-2009, 01:55 PM
"Communications with the Command Center are down! Our technicians are working around the clock to re-establish contact. This may be the result of a Helghast attack, or the fact that the website has recently received a complete overhaul. We apologize for the inconvenience and will have the Killzone Command Center back online as soon as possible." Message on the Killzone.com site today (http://www.killzone.com/kz/index.psml)

AEJustin1
02-28-2009, 05:13 AM
lol crazy stuff. Killzone 2 is pretty damn good IMO. I like the online part of it, haven't tried single player yet. The graphics are nothing short of AMAZING and it controls the same as it did in the demo. I'm almost at the rank to unlock clans and then the AE clan will live once more possibly. Also it hosts a clan system as well as a ladder system I believe

DatGuy
02-28-2009, 03:10 PM
I heard there is no party system so its hard as hell to get into game with friends

AEJustin1
02-28-2009, 05:56 PM
dunno on that i usually make a room and send invites

wrath-x-
03-01-2009, 03:30 AM
DatGuy;104104']I heard there is no party system so its hard as hell to get into game with friends

its actually easy as hell. You go to your friends list and "join him".

or you make a room, and through the miracle of 2005 gaming interface technology, they're able to follow you just by clicking on your name on the friends list..............the options are quite extensive on how you want your game set up.

Frame rate hitches thus far........ZERO.

Lag experienced.................NONE.

Gameplay.................FUN AS SHIT.

Tagger
03-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Here's the tracking info on my copy of the game. Note that I live in Birmingham, AL. Montgomery is about 80 miles south of here.

Processed, March 02, 2009, 2:01 am, MONTGOMERY, AL
Processed, March 01, 2009, 12:48 am, BIRMINGHAM, AL
Processed, February 27, 2009, 8:24 pm, LOUISVILLE, KY
Shipment Accepted; February 27, 2009, 7:54 pm, LOUISVILLE, KY
Electronic Shipping Info Received, February 27, 2009

Apparently, the post office is one of the few jobs (alongside the weatherman) where you don't have to do it right to get paid. Next time I'll just go pick up my damn copy.

wrath-x-
03-02-2009, 12:58 PM
I ordered mine from gamestop.com. I got it about 1:30 on Friday afternoon. Sorry to hear that yours got hung up. I'd be pissed.

AEJustin1
03-02-2009, 05:08 PM
aww dang tagger, that blows, oh well maybe you'll have it tomorrow

Tagger
03-02-2009, 05:16 PM
It had better rock too. I'm about fed up with game crashes and lag that seem inherent in PS3 online shooters. Tomorrow hopefully.

AEJustin1
03-02-2009, 05:25 PM
haha I think it rocks and rocks HARD but that's just one man's opinion

also there will be a patch and some fixes coming soon!

http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009/03/02/guerrilla-fixing-killzone-2-bugs-looking-into-control-complaint/

Despite being intentionally designed as a "weighty, slower, more tactical first person experience," Killzone 2 is taking some flak for its sluggish controls. Producer Seb Downie had previously stated that "no changes [were] required to the system" with regards to last month's demo, but now that the final game is out, Guerrilla Games is changing its tune. Included in an official list of things to be patched, Downie notes that controller issues are being looked into: "Any possible changes will have to be carefully implemented and tested before being deployed though." This is a stark contrast in tone whereas the previous message implied that Guerilla would not alter anything -- they just might do something now.

As for the things that will definitely be patched, Guerilla has revealed it's working on bot solutions, network issues and other problems. Check after the break for the full list of fixes.

Taken directly from Official PlayStation Forums:

* Boost -- We've identified and fixed the bug to do with the boost medal not being awarded. It will go into a patch we are working on at present, but there is a workaround in the mean time to get it. Simply ensure that you are the Game Creator rather than client and you'll be awarded it.
* Network Errors/Honor Ranks -- We are also looking at fixing a good bunch of the network errors and are looking into the complaints about the Honor Ranks as well as a couple of other bits and pieces. We'll provide a list of fixes when we are close to releasing the patch.
* Bots -- We're working on a permanent solution for the bots stat padding and have some internal solutions that we're going to work on implementing. We'll let you know what those are when we've got the patch together and the solution implemented. We will NOT be wiping ALL stats and padders will be looked at individually by the moderators.
* www.kz.com -- www.killzone.com is being sorted out today to deal with the massive traffic it's been facing and hope to have some long-term solutions in place shortly. The stats are currently empty on the site and will be repopulated today.
* Controller Issues -- We have not stopped looking into the complaints and will see what we can do about it. Any possible changes will have to be carefully implemented and tested before being deployed though.
* Charge disarming -- We have identified the issue where sometimes the C4 charge in Search and Destroy will not disarm. Will be fixed with the next update.
* Shotgun Aim Assist -- Investigating the problem and will patch it up.
* Clan Games -- Sometimes the clan that does not turn up for a match is awarded the win under specific circumstances. Will be patched ASAP.
* Battle Replay for Map 8 - Corinth Crossing -- The BR on www.killzone.com is not quite right and will be fixed soon.
* Ignore list -- Was found not to be functioning correctly. Will be fixed in the next patch.
* Crashes -- Crash when using Saboteur disguise in certain situations. Will be fixed in the next patch. Infrequent crash when trying to start a game with an empty game name. Will be fixed soon.
* Medic/Assassination -- There is an issue with the Assassination target HUD icon displaying when playing as a Medic. Investigating and will be fixed.

DatGuy
03-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Ill be picking up my copy on friday

NEO-X
03-02-2009, 06:15 PM
so far, ive been reading alot of good things about this game

[SS]Shooter
03-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Yeah, this is one game I wish I had a PS3 for...

Sabotage
03-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Shooter;104218']Yeah, this is one game I wish I had a PS3 for...I should slap you!

NEO-X
03-02-2009, 09:59 PM
I should slap you!

WIN!!!

DatGuy
03-03-2009, 01:48 PM
well I played it for a couple hours last night...

want to get more play time to provide a review of what I think...

Lets just say, reviewers have no idea what they are talking about

Chenzo
03-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Tycho's review from PA:

I spent as much time as I possibly could with Killzone 2 this weekend - not enough to earn anything, of course - but more than enough to know that we are for each other. Accept as a premise that the game is worthy - that there is enough product, executed at a high enough level, to make it a savvy investment from a consumer perspective.

Good, that's done. We may now engage in something approaching a candid discussion.

The Squad system they have in place isn't sufficient for their purpose. Like every other Goddamned thing in Killzone 2, the ability to create a Squad is a feature you unlock. Back when Frank Caron was writing for Ars Technica, he had it nailed to the wall: squadding is too important to have it managed the way it is. Bad Company sets up squads automatically, because they're the difference between winning a round and losing it. When you get (or give) a squad invite in KZ2, there's no way to respond to these requests while in the actual flow of play. The result is that, often, people aren't joining squads. When you do create a squad, it doesn't persist from round to round. There's also no party system, which would streamline this substantially. This stuff might not be a big deal for the dedicated clans the game was clearly designed to court, but for people who are trying to play a videogame for recreational purposes this ain't cutting it.

When Gabe came into the office this morning, he established that he really wanted to play Killzone with me, but it wasn't listing me as Online for him. He might have assumed that the weekend's intermittent PSN functionality had created this scenario, but the reality is that Guerilla Games did this by design. If you have a friend who is playing Killzone 2 in single player, they don't show in the game's own friends list. I was only playing the single player because I was waiting for a Goddamned friend to come on! No, no, and no.

The maps in Killzone 2 are, in comparison to contemporary titles, gigantic - with a verticality can border on dizzying. I'm frequently amazed by them, but there's eight of these things to learn at once. It's feast or famine at Guerilla Games - they lock away the bulk of their multiplayer classes for all but the most hardcore players, players unlikely to need (strictly speaking) the advantages these capabilities confer, while plunging the entirety of the playerbase into an endless succession of haunted, apocalyptic high-rises and industrial hellholes. People are divided on the topic of downloadable content, but a phased release of disc content - perhaps tracked to an overall killcount - would have gotten the entire community onboard, and kept the game front-page news for months.

Tagger
03-05-2009, 10:29 AM
GG ignored social gaming almost entirely. No party system......squads aren't even persistant. GG would do themselves a favor by patching in a party system.

I like a lot of the aspects of the game otherwise. Had Sony set some development guidelines for including social features, this game could be huge or them. As it stands it's only a decent game, imo.

wrath-x-
03-07-2009, 04:30 AM
oh its huge..........its selling well and the servers are perfect. The gameplay is fun as well.

Needs a party system.

All in all its the epitomy of a AAA title.

Tagger
03-09-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm playing the campaign and have about given up on the multiplayer side of this game. Even with a party system this one probably doesn't fit my style. I guess I'm a Cod'er for a while longer.