PDA

View Full Version : What's next for shooters?

Tagger
02-16-2009, 01:45 PM
What's the next revolution in shooting games going to be? Right now, we've got FPS's that rock with the CoD games and TPS's like GEARS and SOCOM for players who prefer over the shoulder views. The WWII theme has been done several times and the modern theme has seen its share of shooters. So, what's next from developers? I'm talking primarily about online multiplayer shooting.

What is going to sell more games? Killzone 2 online is going to offer players a chance to build loadouts/characters with specific purposes in mind like heavy gunner or medic and such. But, that's not really a new concept. We've already seen this in Fortress, although it looks cartoonish.

The question is open-ended. Any comments or ideas?

Sabotage
02-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Well Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 is coming later this year, FEAR 2 is out and that is strickly a shooter (was made for single player but has a decent multiplayer aspect), Other than that I can't say to much about shooters in the future because 65% of them turn out to be crap.

Chenzo
02-16-2009, 02:56 PM
BF1943

BF:Heros

COD4:MW2

Hrm... that's all i can think of right now... that I'd like to play anyway... (And these are PC titles - even tho they're coming out on the consoles too... damned controller.)

[SS]Shooter
02-16-2009, 04:39 PM
It's pretty hard to make more stuff happen, as the combat that's being replicated (basically urban squad warfare) is fairly simplistic itself. I'm talking about the COD4/W@W/Socom style game. The 'Battlefield' games are different animals, as you have control of the whole battlefield and all vehicles, rather than just holding an M-4 and waiting for some dude to stick his head up.

Further customization of weapons, with real world accessories like flashlights, lasers, etc. would be helpful. Along with full customization of your gear like in Rainbow 6 Vegas.

And they should take into account your travel speed versus your body armor vs damage. A guy wearing a 40lb Level IV vest SHOULD be slow, but shouldn't die from one shot to the chest with a 9mm.

COD4, and to some extent W@W, have a perfect blend of technical realism and arcade fun. Sure, you should be able to add silencers to scoped M-4's. But they realize this would hamper gameplay and make the focus on camping, so it's not done. They value even and balanced gameplay, which they more or less achieve.

[SS]SportoFu
02-16-2009, 06:37 PM
I can't wait to be in the game . . .

http://emotiv.com/corporate/2_0/2_1.htm

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/460992/switzerland_team_creates_virtual_video.html