PDA

View Full Version : Fallout 3

[SS]Shooter
11-09-2008, 11:27 PM
This game is pretty good, a lot like Bioshock but with a big customization element, perks, companions, etc. You have many choices, can be good or bad, etc.

If you just go straight through the main quest, the game isn't really that long and you only see about 10% of the people and stuff. The best thing to do, in my opinion, would be to go exploring and ignore the main quest to find your father. That way you'll get to see everything and be strong when you do the main quest.

Overall, it's a great game, but fucking spooky as hell wandering through burnt out buildings, tunnels, and shit.

Chenzo
11-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Yeah... I got to a certain point in the main quest and then started to explore and do the side quests.

The depth of the game is IMMENSE. I just got to the Mall in DC...

It's quite fucking AWESOME to stand at the reflecting pool at the base of the Washington Monument (which is fucked up from the blast over the capital) and see everything reflected.

I've been completely addicted to the game. (I've got to finish it before next week. L4D... OH NOES!)

Sabotage
12-02-2008, 06:23 PM
I got a month off for winter vacation and you know what I'll be doing! AGH this is one of the first games I'm actually making myself wait for, so I hope it's worth it.

Chenzo
12-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Every bobblehead... nice.

http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/large/c7ec64a1ad31e5e3240414be4bb854ee4590420d.jpg (http://www.xfire.com/screenshots/1chenzo/ss_file-c7ec64a1ad31e5e3240414be4bb854ee4590420d.jpg)

[SS]Yetizai
12-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Nice collection. I only have half of them this far. Still mulling around and doing side quests. I'm not sure but I might like this even more than Oblivion.

Chenzo
12-03-2008, 03:45 PM
I think it's better than Oblivion (the only thing that could have made Oblivion better was guns and well... )

I popped the 100 locations achievement last night, and I've got 3 of the 5 Super Mutant Behemoths dead... once I do that, I'll be able to finish the game.

I might actually have one more quest I can do... but the other 2 are for evil people or I popped the quest giver already... heh.

Sabotage
12-03-2008, 06:01 PM
So far how much time have you put into the game? I'm hoping it's going to take awhile to beat.

DatGuy
01-27-2009, 01:58 PM
DLC is live

http://kotaku.com/5139900/fallout-3-dlc-is-live

[SS]Rator
01-27-2009, 02:43 PM
jesus, i havent even unwrapped my copy yet. 2 more levels left in Gears 2.

[SS]Shooter
01-27-2009, 04:37 PM
I think it's better than Oblivion (the only thing that could have made Oblivion better was guns and well... )

I popped the 100 locations achievement last night, and I've got 3 of the 5 Super Mutant Behemoths dead... once I do that, I'll be able to finish the game.

I might actually have one more quest I can do... but the other 2 are for evil people or I popped the quest giver already... heh.

Yeah, there really is a finite amount of stuff to do though. And once your guy is all blinged out with the bitchin stuff, it really loses its challenge. I built up a tricked out guy with all the 'unique' weapons and now he's got nothing to do. Most of the people that can be killed are dead. And they stay dead.

The best way to play might be to do 1/3 of the side stuff with a kick ass gunslinger, 1/3 of the side stuff with a thief, and a 1/3 of the side stuff with a hacker or something, and just use your favorite one of those to do the main quest.

The game is long, but basically really easy. If you keep playing, you'll get through it, even with the basic weapons and perks. It's a good experience, basically Bioshock above ground.

Chenzo
01-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Yeah, Shooter... A buddy of mine, downloaded a mod for the game that makes you get 1/2 or 1/3 of the XP you'd normally get.

To be honest, I don't mind walking around now at lvl 20, full of awesome.

Super Mutants die with one shot from Abe Lincoln's Rifle - and with the Vats perk I've got, I get all my VATS points back if I kill someone in VATS... so armies of Super Mutants explode before me.

(Their heads bursting into a fine red paste is slow-mo never gets old.)

[SS]Rator
01-27-2009, 05:26 PM
I want abe lincolns rifle!

DatGuy
01-27-2009, 05:37 PM
does the rifle come with a Top hat and a sweet beard?

Chenzo
01-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Actually, you CAN find his top hat. It's a piece of armor. It's considered a helmet.

(For those that care, it's in the Museum of American History on the Mall.)

[SS]Shooter
01-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Rator;102206']I want abe lincolns rifle!

Just go grab it. Check a Fallout wiki for its location. You can get it in concert with the 'Temple of the Union' Quests.

All you need is a laser rifle or plasma rifle to fend off some foes in there and you can grab it. It is in 100% condition.

Sabotage
01-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Shooter;102214']Just go grab it. Check a Fallout wiki for its location. You can get it in concert with the 'Temple of the Union' Quests.

All you need is a laser rifle or plasma rifle to fend off some foes in there and you can grab it. It is in 100% condition.Can you repair it?

[SS]Shooter
01-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Yes, with a regular hunting rifle, which a lot of super mutants carry...

Sabotage
01-27-2009, 11:50 PM
Oh nice, yea I have like 10 hunting rifles.

Chenzo
01-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Shooter;102231']Yes, with a regular hunting rifle, which a lot of super mutants carry...

Yeah...

the kicker is the ammo's hard to come by. But I love it.

Tagger
01-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Not meaning to derail but it sounds like Bethesda fixed the leveling issue that was in Oblivion when they made Fallout 3......the problem of gaining levels and finding yourself underpowered when confronting new enemies.

[SS]Shooter
01-28-2009, 03:37 PM
The DLC is actually very smoothly integrated and you get to keep your guy, sort of...

S10Draven
01-28-2009, 06:07 PM
i want to play it so bad... still a few weeks till i get my 360 back though.

Sabotage
01-28-2009, 08:14 PM
I'll wait until I beat the game before I get the DLC.

S10Draven
01-29-2009, 05:49 PM
im def waiting for the 3rd one to finish last mission so i can still play after that.

Tagger
02-13-2009, 01:57 PM
I've been playing this one off and on for about a week. I like it. But, it seems life is much easier to lose in this game versus Oblivion. I'm only at level 3 and the damned mutant fire ants are kicking my ass and draining my ammo supply, not to mention my stimpacks. It'll be nice to level up a bit and be able to defend myself better. At least, I hope that will be the case once I gain a few levels.

[SS]Shooter
02-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Tagger, you can't do some of those quests WITHOUT first doing the side quests and gaining weapons and ammo. Go wiki the Temple of the Union Quest. That will get you Lincoln's Repeater, the best gun. The Laser Rifle is also a great gun, they are everywhere and ammo is everywhere.

My guy is the opposite. At level 20, everything is super easy. I could probably withstand an attack from 20 supermutants at once. I have all the dope weapons and armor. I beat the DLC, got even more weapons and ammo and shit, but FOR WHAT? Everyone enemy is basically dead on the whole map...

I am out of stuff to do.

[SS]Rator
02-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Use Vats Tag. Shoot the antennae

Tagger
02-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the tips. Vats is pretty cool when a hits land. Note to self, shoot the antenners. Should've already thought about wiki. I use it for all kinds of stuff.

DatGuy
02-19-2009, 07:03 PM
welcome to the PITT

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/02/welcometothepitt.jpg

Bethesda formally welcomes you to post-apocalyptic Pittsburgh, PA, with three new screenshots from the upcoming Fallout 3 add-on The Pitt. Did somebody say auto-axe?

The Pitt content opens with the players responding to a desperate radio message. Someone in The Pitt has created a cure for mutations, and the player must travel there and retrieve it from the leader of the settlement at all costs. From there the choice on how to proceed is up to the you. Do you side with the slaves of The Pitt or their raider overlords? How about just going in with your rotary auto-axe blazing?

Find and use new weaponry, such as the AutoAxe, a new melee weapon with a powerful, serrated rotary blade hungry for flesh.

A multi-bladed axe that spins? Hell, that's worth the 800 Microsoft points alone! Look for The Pitt to drop next month on the Xbox 360 and PC. For now, behold the glory of the auto-axe.

http://kotaku.com/5156833/fallout-3-welcome-to-the-pitt

Sabotage
02-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Awesome, pitt should be awesome!

Tagger
02-20-2009, 11:44 AM
I'm going to restart this game. My guy is a science and hacker geek with hardly no weapon skills. Maybe that's why I have such a short lifespan. Hell, I can't even handle the stupid fireants.

Sabotage
02-20-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm going to restart this game. My guy is a science and hacker geek with hardly no weapon skills. Maybe that's why I have such a short lifespan. Hell, I can't even handle the stupid fireants.lol my guy is an even balance between Science, Small weapons, and Health.

[SS]Rator
02-20-2009, 02:34 PM
trading my copy in today.

Sabotage
02-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Rator;103641']trading my copy in today.??!! Why? You done with it?

[SS]Rator
02-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Nope, don't like it. Not that it's not a good game, just not my bag. Played Fear 2 demo last nite, traded F3 in for F2 today. I just had no desire to play Fallout.

Sabotage
02-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Hmmmm, ok. F3 is much better than F2 IMO. F2 is just a shooter, sorta get's boring after a little bit. I can only play it in 30 minute spurts.

[SS]Rator
02-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Yea to each his own. I don't like the tedium of F3, i'm more of an action guy.

Tagger
02-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Wiped and restarted F3 Saturday morning. New vaultee leans toward being a semi-intelligent knuckle dragger compared to my last attempt. At least bad guys go down a lot faster, lol. Plus, I spent time working some quests which may be a bit easier to tackle - cleaning up the Super Duper Mart was fun this time. Next I think I'll visit the fire ant town and get some revenge.

Crusher
02-23-2009, 02:11 PM
i just got this game and have to say it's awesome. A lot of the characters are really annoying but luckily you can kill them.

Chenzo
02-23-2009, 02:15 PM
i just got this game and have to say it's awesome. A lot of the characters are really annoying but luckily you can kill them.

Ok. I lol'd.

I hear one of the best things to witness is to blow up the nuke in Megaton. I missed it since I was a goody-2-shoes.

Tagger
02-23-2009, 05:52 PM
It wouldn't take much time to play a new character and go in and set off the nuke. My character is a good karma dude too. I'd love to see an explosion on that scale. Probably pretty sweet. If there is one person that gets on my nerves it's Moria(sp?). She's just not right.....like a cross between a nasal-talking school teacher and Annie Wilkes from Misery, lol.

S10Draven
02-23-2009, 06:50 PM
ill be blowin up megaton on next run through. been messin around tryin to get some of the unique weapons. got the MIRV today. pain in the ass too get it too.

Tagger
02-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Has anyone reverse pick-pocketed an NPC and given them a hand grenade or landmine? I wonder how that would work out?

Edit: Killed Arkansas yesterday while working on Moria's survial guide and got the sniper rifle. .308 is scarce so far so I use it mostly for checking things out before going into known danger zones. Using it with VATS has resulted in some wicked NPC deaths though. The combat shotgun is kind of fun too. But, those are the most powerful weapons I've picked up so far. I just hit level 6.

S10Draven
02-23-2009, 08:15 PM
it kills them. theres an achievement for it. imaxed out small guns and almost always get the kill while in vats. i got the perk that you find more ammo then normal and i have tons of ammo now.

Tagger
02-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Instead of working on quests last night, I just wandered the wasteland looking for trouble.....found it along with a missile launcher and a flame thrower. Grenades are pretty effective in Vats when the bad guys are clustered together. Just throw at the middle guy.

Chenzo
02-24-2009, 11:04 AM
BEST GUN EVAR: LINCOLN'S REPEATER

(Found in the US History Museum on the Mall)

[SS]SportoFu
02-25-2009, 07:58 AM
I rented it, just to see what all the hype is about.
Good thing I rented it. . . I don't have time for this shit.
If I bought it I could see myself putting HOURS into it. This is not what I look for, a little MORE action would be great.

Tagger
02-25-2009, 11:20 AM
It is a time drain. On the other hand, it's a good way to totally zone out. I sort of hurt my back last night and took some tylenol pm and some ibuprofen to ease the pain. I got on the game and just wandered around in a daze firing my shotgun at inanimate objects plus the occassional bloatfly or ravenous dog.......sort of satisfying in my drug induced stupor, lol. I took too much of the tylenol I guess I because I'm still having trouble staying awake. I found I was much less worried about running into raiders or mutants that might kill me though.

Chenzo
02-25-2009, 11:53 AM
After a certain point in the game you'll be so tough, NOTHING is a problem. By the end, even Behemoth Super Mutants weren't a problem for me.

Nothing a mininuke couldn't take care of. Plus, use the railgun and shoot shit in the leg and make them gimpy.

Tagger
02-25-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm only level 6 now. Still a ways to go. You're talking about the fatman right?

Chenzo
02-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Correct. Save those mininukes you find.

Same thing for the railroad ties/pins... the railgun farks shit up.

S10Draven
02-25-2009, 12:54 PM
dart gun is pretty good too. i think if you hit a leg its 100% cripple to it.

Tagger
02-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Suuweeet. Can't wait to get my hands on or build those myself.

Edit: Almost made it to level 8 last night clearing the Marigold Station of fireants - completed the quest without killing the queen ant. Damn she was huge compared to the others. I think Arefu is next on my list of things to go do. I think I need some better equipment before I head off to DC proper searching for big guns. Since I wiped and restarted the game Saturday, I haven't encountered any mutants or super mutants. Not sure how that's going to work out. I did get jumped by 3 mercs when I exited the Marigold station last night. Took a couple of do-overs to get past them....a few grenades and the combat shotgun does wonderous things to heads and limbs, lol.

I'm going real slow in this one. I like the solitude of just plunking around in the wasteland. But, I'm missing CoD time and Gears and Grid, etc.... .