PDA

View Full Version : new COD playlists

DatGuy
07-22-2008, 02:21 AM
source http://iamfourzerotwo.com/2008/07/21/new-playlists-status-process/

Thanks to everyone who helped play test the new playlists last weekend, as well as everyone else who volunteered to help! I received an overwhelming amount of messages, emails, and other friend invites over the past week from the community offering to help out! THANK YOU and I’m sorry we couldn’t include everyone, but the good news is the tests went great (helped us find a few bugs with the new settings) as well as come to final decisions.

That said, we’ve already begun the process to add the new playlists to the game. Don’t get your hopes up just yet, as there is currently no ETA on when you can expect to see them go LIVE, but as soon as I know when you can expect them, I’ll let you know. I’ve walked you through the process we’re going through now at the end of this post. It’s not a long process, but still a process nonetheless.

Hit the jump for a full breakdown of the playlists we’ll be adding, as well as the process involved in adding new playlists to the game.

To give you an idea of what’s required to add a playlist to the game, I’ll break down the process we’re going through now.

1) Setting up the playlists.

Now that we’re ready to make these official playlists, one of our designers (Brent M.) is setting up the playlists and uploading it to PartnerNET so that we can play it locally on the GOLD build of the game.

2) Internal QA Testing

Once the playlists are set up so we can play it locally, the QA department will play test the new playlists and ensure there are no bugs and no problems with the settings. As I said, this past weekend we found a few bugs with Bare-bones Team Deathmatch when we disable perks which allowed you to still use perks in slot 1. So we’ll have to make sure that doesn’t happen in the actual playlist and adjust accordingly.

3) Localization / Translations

While it’s going through QA, our production team has to work on localization of the Gametype descriptions and names so that we can get the new descriptions translated in every language the game is available in.

4) Pushing the playlist live

Once all localization and testing is complete, then we can upload the new playlists and flip the switch to make it available to everyone over Xbox live / PSN. No download or anything is required. The playlist will update seamlessly the next time players get on once it’s uploaded.

As I said, no ETA on how long all this will take, testing is always unquanifiable because you never know what could come up, but I’m expecting this to be a rather smooth process. As soon as I know when we’ll be pushing them live to you guys, I’ll post here and let you know you can expect them.

As a reminder, the new playlists we’re planning on adding include:

Bare-bones Team Deathmatch

No more excuses. No more blaming Martyrdom or Juggernaut for your lack of skills and kills. Bare Bones Team Deathmatch eliminates the excuses and takes it back to basics with standard Team Deathmatch with no perks, no kill streak rewards. Just you, your skill, and your weapons.

Hardcore HQ

Hardcore HQ requires a lot more than just spamming the HQ position with nades and running in guns blazing. Hardcore HQ encourages more tactical gameplay and communication to win with increased damage, no HUD elements, and friendly fire on.

Multi-bomb Search and Destroy

Multi-bomb Search and Destroy starts every member of the attacking team with a bomb. So everyone has the opportunity to plant if they’re good enough.

Hardcore FFA

Even faster paced Free For Alls, where every bullet counts and playing smart is key for a solid k/d ratio. Standard Free for All rules, with Hardcore mode enabled for extra damage, no HUD, and no health re-gen.

[SS]Rator
07-22-2008, 02:30 AM
Thanks for the info, cool.

Sabotage
07-22-2008, 03:26 AM
Nice info Dat.

Drunk_Couzens
07-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Great info!! Im wondering though.......did fourtwozero ironically have the same (I AM) COD4 tag as me, which i haven't seen one person on ps3 use, or did he think it was clever and stole it from me. A mystery that shall never be solved.....

Chenzo
07-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Playlists? Is this essentially the map rotation?

[SS]Wally
07-22-2008, 11:27 AM
Is this only available on "The Gold" build of the game? What does this mean?

[SS]Rator
07-22-2008, 11:40 AM
I think theyre talking about the gold version of the build, it goes like alpha, beta, gold master or something.

And yes i think theyre preset games you can join on the 360 vers. We get lists of public rooms we can jump in like TDM, Headquarters etc, these are variations on those.

[SS]Midnight
07-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Bare-bones Team Deathmatch

No more excuses. No more blaming Martyrdom or Juggernaut for your lack of skills and kills. Bare Bones Team Deathmatch eliminates the excuses and takes it back to basics with standard Team Deathmatch with no perks, no kill streak rewards. Just you, your skill, and your weapons.CRUD! Now what am I gonna blame it on!!

I like! :mini-panda-21:

[SS]Rator
07-22-2008, 12:29 PM
i wonderz, will this allow us to turn ALL perks off in private matches?!

DatGuy
07-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Rator;92703']i wonderz, will this allow us to turn ALL perks off in private matches?!

im hoping so

[SS]Wally
07-22-2008, 12:37 PM
This is very cool. It's options. Options are good. And yes, I hope they allow you to adjust the options.

A great find DG.

Drunk_Couzens
07-22-2008, 02:36 PM
all perks off + all streak rewards off + hardcore free for all. = My cup of Tea

Now if they would only add a nice 4x scope on an Assault rifle, id be in heaven.

Tinkerbell
07-23-2008, 03:29 PM
This is great news.... I Hate the Public rooms and when I play them I only play Hardcore S&D and Hardcore TDM. It will be nice to have some more options. Bare-Bones Team deathmatch sounds better than the Hardcore. I can't wait to try it.

[SS]Rator
12-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Confirmed this isnt happening.

"By 402

Let me be the first to say that I'm more bummed than anyone that we've yet to see these playlists, and am personally sorry that we haven't made it happen as of yet. Believe me when I say that I was the one pushing the hardest to see these be released, but regretfully it just didn't happen. We were soooo close, before we ran into some serious bugs in QA and prevented the immediate release without a patch, a patch that looked like we would have been able to do, but ultimately would have took a major hit on our development cycle.

Again, personally, I apologize that all that hype and work didn't result in a release. I got wrapped up in my excitement of having some new playlists and regretfully should have held off until the QA report came back. The playlists aren't dead, but of course its looking less and less likely that they'll make it out with our development schedule just getting more hectic with each day. Which is why we haven't "officially" said they're dead or the plug is pulled, because it's not. We're still open to it if our schedule permits, but as I said, my hopes for it are dashed as each day goes by""

"Regretfully the playlists never came to fruition, however that's hardly a accurate depiction of the validity of community support. Community support goes so much deeper than just "playlist updates". Good community support goes unnoticed, and unpraised, because it is done in a way to ensure that the shipped product includes the requests, features, and demands of the community out of box.

Community Support via the COD2 community helped shape and mold COD4 into the game it is, and community support via COD4 will help shape future Infinity Ward titles to ensure we're always improving and including community wants and needs into future games.

Every level designer / texture artist / enviornmental artist / etc. working on a new map for a previous game is one less working on a map for a future game. Again going back to the, do you attempt to include as much as possible out of box for the people spending $60 and that goes to everyone, or do you focus on doing endless DLC for previous game, shipping with only a few maps, and beefing up MP via DLC after launch for a fee (which only a % of community people can enjoy due to internet connection / Xbox Live gold requirement). Regretfully that's the harsh reality and shitty part of game development.

Since COD4 however, we've been focusing on expanding our team here at Infinity Ward and looking at our development cycle to see how it can be optimized and improved to make strides in how we can have the best of both worlds. A polished / stacked game at launch and a dedicated team for DLC post-launch while everyone else looks towards the future."

DatGuy
12-19-2008, 07:21 PM
yeah, shitty

[SS]Rator
12-19-2008, 11:56 PM
what're ya gonna do, they've evidently got other, more important shit to do.

DatGuy
12-20-2008, 12:48 AM
like make the new COD