PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Expo Live on G4 right now. 7/14

[SS]Midnight
07-14-2008, 02:27 PM
<object width="480" height="418" id="VideoPlayer"><param name="movie" value="http://www.g4tv.com/lv3/26931" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://www.g4tv.com/lv3/26931" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="VideoPlayer" width="480" height="418" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" /></object> Netflix Streaming Movies On Xbox Live
Posted By: Patrick Roche-Sowa - Monday, July 14, 2008 11:29 AM

At Microsoft's press conference this morning, it was announced that Netflix will be streaming movies over Xbox Live for all existing customers. This means you can stream movies as part of your already existing account over your Xbox on your big-screen tv. Not only that, but by using the new Live Party option, you can watch these streaming movies with your friends, and they don't even have to have a Netflix account of their own. That's pretty sweet. That's all we know for now, but we'll keep you posted when more details drop. LINK HERE (http://e3.g4tv.com/e32008/blog/post/687011/Netflix_Streaming_Movies_On_Xbox_Live.html)

I will add more after they announce it. I am watching the expo live now.

It seems that LIVE will be having it's own version of HOME like the PS3 is doing. I turned it on at the end of that announcement I don't have details yet...
XBox Live New Community Features
Posted By: Mike D'Alonzo - Monday, July 14, 2008 11:47 AM

Microsoft is emulating Wii-style avatars as part of their new community features that will make a debut in the Fall with a system update. These avatars will be customizable, and will allow you to give them clothes, haircuts, and all kinds of interesting things going forward.

In addition, you will be able to spot your friends online by seeing their avatars when they are out and about, and you will be able to part with them, sharing photos and playing games using the avatar feature. Clearly, they are out to show Nintendo that they can match them when it comes to kid-friendly icons in their gaming
LINK HERE (http://e3.g4tv.com/e32008/blog/post/687016/XBox_Live_New_Community_Features.html)
Yay! I love dress up!
What that does not say is that you can click on your buddies avatar to join them in games and stuff like that.
11:09: John Shafter, head of Live, takes the stage.

* This fall, a brand new dashboard will be released. New interface is simpler to use. It looks a little like iTunes.
* Avatars: Wii-style cariactures that allow you to make a digital reprentation of yourself. Change your pants, hair and face. Whatever. It's happening this Fall.
* The avatars are meant to not be just toys. They'll be seen "in games, on the web." To me they look like the exact middle between a Mii and the PlayStation Home avatars.
* "Live Party" allows you to party up with friends to either play games, share photos, just hang out. Stream photos to the entire party. LINK HERE (http://e3.g4tv.com/e32008/blog/post/687007/Microsoft_Press_Conference_Live_Blog.html)
NBC/Universal on XBox 360
Posted By: Mike D'Alonzo - Monday, July 14, 2008 11:29 AM

The hits just keep coming from the Microsoft press conference at E3 this morning. A new partnership has been announced with NBC/Universal to offer such shows as Heroes and 30 Rock as part of XBox Live in the near future, which means you will be able to watch the Peacock's latest and greatest shows over the online service soon.
LINK HERE (http://e3.g4tv.com/e32008/blog/post/687010/NBCUniversal_on_XBox_360.html)

They also announced that final Fantasy 13 will be on the 360 now as well as the PS3. No longer exclusive to the PS

<object width="480" height="418" id="VideoPlayer"><param name="movie" value="http://www.g4tv.com/lv3/26989" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://www.g4tv.com/lv3/26989" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="VideoPlayer" width="480" height="418" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" /></object>

DatGuy
07-14-2008, 02:50 PM
yeah they will midnight

Yetizai
07-14-2008, 04:36 PM
My question is what will happen to all the gamerpics and themes that users have purchased? Seems that is still yet to be answered.

[SS]Rator
07-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Yea dunno about that. And they also say "This means you can stream movies as part of your already existing account over your Xbox on your big-screen tv." Well, they didnt say which account. A Live account? or a Netflix account?

[SS]Midnight
07-14-2008, 05:49 PM
Live account Rator, and pretty sure Gold Live account at that. You do not need a Netflix account. So all LIVE Gold members will be able to do what I am getting with my Netflix account. It's pretty cool. $5/mo freebie. Gotta love it.

Bassani
07-14-2008, 05:52 PM
I wanna know about RB2 lol

[SS]Rator
07-14-2008, 06:07 PM
ok so wait, do i ALSO need a netflix account or not?

DatGuy
07-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Bassani;92008']I wanna know about RB2 lol

all they really said that was new was the whole set list, and that its a timed 360 exclusive

[SS]Midnight
07-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Rator;92009']ok so wait, do i ALSO need a netflix account or not?
NO
Midnight;92007'] You do not need a Netflix account.

The feature is free for XBOX LIVE acounts. (gold accounts I think)
All with a LIVE account will get streaming Netflix for free. :cheerleader-119:

[SS]Rator
07-14-2008, 06:38 PM
So i can download anything in Netflix's library for free? I can rent movies for free? Not counting the $50 per year for Live? Unlimited rentals for free?!

[SS]Showstoper
07-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Hello Yeti, They call me Show, I'm away on business right now...Welcome to the boards... I'll be seeing you soon enough, tata...

[SS]Midnight
07-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Rator the "Watch Instantly" list is limited. The library boasts 10,000 titles, but MANY on that list are things that I think it is safe to say no one is interested in. It does NOT include all movie titles that they offer on DVD or BD. Very few New Releases make it to this library. There are A LOT of old movies on the list. But some of the oldies are goodies.

This might gleen more info Rator (just found it): LINK HERE (http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsoft-netflix-unveil-partnership-instantly/story.aspx?guid=%7B1016447A-52CB-4334-ABF5-D1F7C770E47F%7D&dist=hppr)

Ok that last link I posted is saying that you also need to pay for a Netlix account as well. So....at this point I am not sure....I think it is wrong and the streaming will be free to Gold LIVE members....

Bassani
07-14-2008, 07:30 PM
DatGuy;92011']all they really said that was new was the whole set list, and that its a timed 360 exclusive

the feed on the bottom just said 104 @ release

[SS]Midnight
07-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Midnight;92021']
Ok that last link I posted is saying that you also need to pay for a Netlix account as well. So....at this point I am not sure....I think it is wrong and the streaming will be free to Gold LIVE members....Well.....that link is clear in that you need to have a LIVE gold account AND a Netflix account...

It just seems silly for them to unveil at E3 what is already known....and they call it a partnership and all...
We knew about the ability...cause I did it...but maybe it was leaked info...dunno. The exclusivity was not however known....

So I guess at this point YOU NEED TO HAVE A NETFLIX ACCOUNT TO USE THIS.

(I was sure that the guy on the TV announcing it live on G4 said that you did not need a Netflix account...)

Bassani
07-14-2008, 08:12 PM
damn, now i saw 84 @ release. maybe 84 on disc w/ 20 dlc songs?

S10Draven
07-14-2008, 08:53 PM
they said in press confrence that i watched that you need a netflix account also.

[SS]Midnight
07-14-2008, 09:04 PM
well...yay for me :)

[SS]Midnight
07-15-2008, 02:09 AM
I added the G4 video for the MS confrence.

Yetizai
07-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Showstoper;92020']Hello Yeti, They call me Show, I'm away on business right now...Welcome to the boards... I'll be seeing you soon enough, tata...

Nice to meet you. Met a couple of the other guys last night. It was fun but I realized that my comms were a bit rusty from spending to much time in administration instead of competition :). I hope to play with all of you some more.

Anyway I wanted to psot this on Fallout 3 http://e3.g4tv.com/e32008/videos/26939/Hands_On_Fallout_3.html great video. Pretty funny you can kill people via a Teddy Bear RPG.

[SS]Midnight
07-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Heh ya I saw the T-bear gun. Pretty funny.

[SS]Midnight
07-16-2008, 05:12 PM
I added 'Sesslers Soap Box' clip to the first post. Good insightful info.

[SS]ProXimo
07-17-2008, 01:20 PM
I figured you would need a Netflix account to make this work. If not, Netflix would make no money on the deal and it's all about business in the end.

I have Blockbuster service, so I guess I won't use Netflix feature on my 360. It's always nice when you can continue to add functionality to the hardware you already own. I say the more the better.

Let the customer decide what they will take advantage of.

Also the Live Home (lol) feature is cool. I always think it's better to see your friends in a more fluid fashion than just an icon saying they are on Live. I would like to interact more dynamically. Just my opinion.

The new GUI looked great. Seems much simpler and better organized. I never got comfortable with the Blades interface, so I guess a veteran user would be able to judge the best. The new GUI is like Vista's 3D Windows feature.

[SS]Rator
07-17-2008, 01:24 PM
I dont need fancy, i just need to know whos online and then go make a room and play. I dont need to see what clothes Bassani is wearing...

VanDrunken
07-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Prox,
I remember picking up my first Xbox 360 controller, and trying for 5 mins to to launch a farken game!
I do not like the current interface and it is not intuitive to new users and am looking forward to a new fresh look.